Another fine accessories story - Topeak

VBadJuJu

Guest
After 2 years of almost no flats, I've recently had a series of them
on my hybrid. Most have not been from running over stuff but the
seams on the tube just coming apart. I carry a CO2 inflator, a pump
would help top it off and not use 2 cartridges in some cases.

I had a mini pump picked out at Nashbar, but I was planning a long
ride and decided to check out what was at the LBS. They had several
models of Topeak pumps, one with a built in gauge, so I bought one.

I have a Topeak bag which includes elastic straps on the bottom to
hold a pump and a nipple to clamp the pump onto. It works, but the
gauge makes it a bit tight and the pump interferes with the lock and
light on the back of the bag. So, I decided to use the pump holder
that it came with. The idea was to leave it on the hybrid and carry
it bag mounted on the MTB for long rides.

The first time I left it home on the hybrid, I got a flat and the
patch didnt take all the way. What I need is a second pump mount.

I wrote to Topkeak (coyly) asking where I could buy parts as there are
few listed at their website and wanted a second pump mount. I also
indicated I was looking for a replacement Qucik Click seat bracket for
one of my Aero Bags (I broke one while using a saddle with rails at an
odd angle).

About a day later, they replied asking for my address and would send
both (?) as warranty parts. They havent arrived yet and the msgs on
their support board were kind of terse, but even if it is just the
pump mount, I'll be happy.

Really nice company and their gear seems to be of decent quality too.

HTH

They sent me a new pump mount for free when mine broke off. They just have
good products and good customer service.

Pat in TX

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:54:24 -0500, VBadJuJu wrote:

> After 2 years of almost no flats, I've recently had a series of them
> on my hybrid. Most have not been from running over stuff but the
> seams on the tube just coming apart. I carry a CO2 inflator, a pump
> would help top it off and not use 2 cartridges in some cases.

It sounds as though your tubes are too narrow, and perhaps
over-inflated by the cartridges. On a heavy bike with low inflation
pressure like a hybrid, I'd stick with a pump. The benefits of
cartridges - high pressure and speed - are only useful to roadies
on group rides AFAICS.

Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:54:24 -0500, VBadJuJu wrote:
>
>> After 2 years of almost no flats, I've recently had a series of them
>> on my hybrid. Most have not been from running over stuff but the
>> seams on the tube just coming apart. I carry a CO2 inflator, a pump
>> would help top it off and not use 2 cartridges in some cases.

>It sounds as though your tubes are too narrow, and perhaps
>over-inflated by the cartridges. On a heavy bike with low inflation
>pressure like a hybrid, I'd stick with a pump. The benefits of
>cartridges - high pressure and speed - are only useful to roadies
>on group rides AFAICS.

The flats have been from a number of various things: a staple, I
pushed the valve too hard and 'into' the tube, one outside seam
opened, an inside seam (toward the rim) opened, a screw, and one valve
core blew out when removing the pump from it.

The cartridges I have for the MTB actually underinflate the hybrid. I
have some other ones coming to better work with the hybrid. I carry 2
carts usually, but I got the pump to 'top off' a repair rather than
using the second cartridge and be able to continue a ride rather than
limp home.

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:42:28 -0500, VBadJuJu <none@> wrote:

[---]

>The cartridges I have for the MTB actually underinflate the hybrid.

That's certainly true of the 16g cartridges available here in Europe -
they tend to slightly underinflate both hybrid and road tyres. The
values given by SKS, one of the major suppliers, are 3 bars for
hybrid/MTB and 8 bars for road bike tyres.

And that's if you don't slip up and let some of the CO2 escape because
the gun hasn't been properly applied to the valve (which can easily
happen, in my experience).

>have some other ones coming to better work with the hybrid. I carry 2
>carts usually, but I got the pump to 'top off' a repair rather than
>using the second cartridge and be able to continue a ride rather than
>limp home.

I have a similar approach, but I do it the other way around, as I'm
lazy - I start with the pump (easy, as tyre back-pressure is zero at
the beginning) and then "finish off" with the CO2 cartridge.

Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:42:28 -0500, VBadJuJu <none@> wrote:
>
>[---]
>
>>The cartridges I have for the MTB actually underinflate the hybrid.

>That's certainly true of the 16g cartridges available here in Europe -
>they tend to slightly underinflate both hybrid and road tyres. The
>values given by SKS, one of the major suppliers, are 3 bars for
>hybrid/MTB and 8 bars for road bike tyres.

A 16g will get my MTB to about 40lbs; ideally 2 ea 12g carts would
inflate it to 60lbs on the nose. A 12g should get the hybrid to the
area of 80/85lbs. I've been carrying 16's, but 12's seem more useful.

>And that's if you don't slip up and let some of the CO2 escape because
>the gun hasn't been properly applied to the valve (which can easily
>happen, in my experience).

Or had to use a wee bit to find the leak. I dunno that all the gas
exits the cart either. At some point, it would seem the higher
pressure in the tire would prevent more from the carts from filling
it. When done, there always seems to be a fair amount still in the
cart. Another good use for the pump.

>>have some other ones coming to better work with the hybrid. I carry 2
>>carts usually, but I got the pump to 'top off' a repair rather than
>>using the second cartridge and be able to continue a ride rather than
>>limp home.

>I have a similar approach, but I do it the other way around, as I'm
>lazy - I start with the pump (easy, as tyre back-pressure is zero at
>the beginning) and then "finish off" with the CO2 cartridge.

If that works great, I've always thought that risked overinflating
(EVERY blowout I've had has bent the rim) or reached equalization
where you are just leaving more in the cart.

"VBadJuJu" <none@> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> After 2 years of almost no flats, I've recently had a series of them
> on my hybrid. Most have not been from running over stuff but the
> seams on the tube just coming apart. I carry a CO2 inflator, a pump
> would help top it off and not use 2 cartridges in some cases.
>
> I had a mini pump picked out at Nashbar, but I was planning a long
> ride and decided to check out what was at the LBS. They had several
> models of Topeak pumps, one with a built in gauge, so I bought one.
>
> I have a Topeak bag which includes elastic straps on the bottom to
> hold a pump and a nipple to clamp the pump onto. It works, but the
> gauge makes it a bit tight and the pump interferes with the lock and
> light on the back of the bag. So, I decided to use the pump holder
> that it came with. The idea was to leave it on the hybrid and carry
> it bag mounted on the MTB for long rides.
>
> The first time I left it home on the hybrid, I got a flat and the
> patch didnt take all the way. What I need is a second pump mount.
>
> I wrote to Topkeak (coyly) asking where I could buy parts as there are
> few listed at their website and wanted a second pump mount. I also
> indicated I was looking for a replacement Qucik Click seat bracket for
> one of my Aero Bags (I broke one while using a saddle with rails at an
> odd angle).
>
> About a day later, they replied asking for my address and would send
> both (?) as warranty parts. They havent arrived yet and the msgs on
> their support board were kind of terse, but even if it is just the
> pump mount, I'll be happy.
>
> Really nice company and their gear seems to be of decent quality too.
>
> HTH

I had similar service a few years ago. I have purchased many more Topeak
products and always look to see if they make an item when I am looking for
an accessory. If they make it I always purchase.

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:45:46 -0500, VBadJuJu <none@> wrote:

>>I have a similar approach, but I do it the other way around, as I'm
>>lazy - I start with the pump (easy, as tyre back-pressure is zero at
>>the beginning) and then "finish off" with the CO2 cartridge.

>If that works great, I've always thought that risked overinflating
>(EVERY blowout I've had has bent the rim) or reached equalization
>where you are just leaving more in the cart.

I doubt if that would be possible just using a hand-pump (say 40/50
strokes) and one 16g CO2 cartridge. A blow-out due to gross
overinflation (not one just due to poor reseating of the tyre) is the
sort of thing which usually happens when people inflate their tyres
using a compressor air line, and not paying attention.

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:22:29 -0700, "Frank Drackman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Really nice company and their gear seems to be of decent quality too.

>I had similar service a few years ago.

Ditto.

>I have purchased many more Topeak
>products and always look to see if they make an item when I am looking for
>an accessory.

They understand the importance of good customer relations and
communication, and it pays off.