another fixie lives ...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Kim, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. Kim

    Kim Guest

    i've finally got the 1/8" chain, found my chain splitter
    and deployed it on the fixie!

    took it for a spin around the backyard this eve.
    ratio feels ok. 42/18 IIRR

    who would have thought a hard rubbish pickup could lead
    to hours of entertainment ;)

    cheers,

    kim
    ~ pics on the morrow.

    Tags:

  2. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > i've finally got the 1/8" chain, found my chain splitter
    > and deployed it on the fixie!
    >
    > took it for a spin around the backyard this eve.
    > ratio feels ok. 42/18 IIRR
    >
    > who would have thought a hard rubbish pickup could lead
    > to hours of entertainment ;)
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > kim
    > ~ pics on the morrow.

    Yayness! Although if that's with 27" wheels then it works out to around 63
    gear inches which could get a mite whizzy at times, especially downhill.
    Unless you've got nasty hills around your way I'd be tempted to suggest a
    16T cog on the back which would be just shy of 71 gear inches. Of course,
    it's your bike so feel free to completely ignore me *grin*

  3. Kim

    Kim Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > Kim wrote:
    > > i've finally got the 1/8" chain, found my chain splitter
    > > and deployed it on the fixie!

    > Yayness! Although if that's with 27" wheels then it works out to around 63
    > gear inches which could get a mite whizzy at times, especially downhill.
    > Unless you've got nasty hills around your way I'd be tempted to suggest a
    > 16T cog on the back which would be just shy of 71 gear inches.

    there are a couple of reasons why i've built it that way;
    i'm not amazingly fit yet ;) this is my first fixie,
    i don't have much uphill or downhill to deal with on my commute,
    i intend to get a better frame and this is just the begining,
    build this one as cheaply as i can to see whether i like it;
    10$ freewheel removing tool, 20$ BMXcog, 19$ chain,
    2 x 8$ 700c presta valvle tubes,
    presta valve in schroeder rim rubber shims 2 x 0.20$

    > Of course, it's your bike so feel free to completely ignore me *grin*

    hey i wouldn't be inspired to build my own fixie without you lot!
    you can't duck out without taking responsibility for that now!

    besides, i've been pouring over the FGG & sheldonbrown.com.
    tragically hoeked.

    cheers,

    kim

  4. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    Kim wrote:
    > i've finally got the 1/8" chain, found my chain splitter
    > and deployed it on the fixie!
    >
    > took it for a spin around the backyard this eve.
    > ratio feels ok. 42/18 IIRR
    >
    > who would have thought a hard rubbish pickup could lead
    > to hours of entertainment ;)
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > kim
    > ~ pics on the morrow.

    addictive isn't it :)

    I need pics now!

    --
    Nick

  5. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Resound wrote:
    >> Kim wrote:
    >> > i've finally got the 1/8" chain, found my chain splitter
    >> > and deployed it on the fixie!

    >> Yayness! Although if that's with 27" wheels then it works out to around
    >> 63
    >> gear inches which could get a mite whizzy at times, especially downhill.
    >> Unless you've got nasty hills around your way I'd be tempted to suggest a
    >> 16T cog on the back which would be just shy of 71 gear inches.

    > there are a couple of reasons why i've built it that way;
    > i'm not amazingly fit yet ;) this is my first fixie,
    > i don't have much uphill or downhill to deal with on my commute,
    > i intend to get a better frame and this is just the begining,
    > build this one as cheaply as i can to see whether i like it;
    > 10$ freewheel removing tool, 20$ BMXcog, 19$ chain,
    > 2 x 8$ 700c presta valvle tubes,
    > presta valve in schroeder rim rubber shims 2 x 0.20$
    >
    >> Of course, it's your bike so feel free to completely ignore me *grin*

    > hey i wouldn't be inspired to build my own fixie without you lot!
    > you can't duck out without taking responsibility for that now!
    >
    > besides, i've been pouring over the FGG & sheldonbrown.com.
    > tragically hoeked.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > kim

    Excellent. :) My current fixie is a trifle borked (drive side dropout is
    mangled) and I've found a mystery frame in a hard rubbish collection that
    I'm going to go out and collect in about 10 minutes. I hope it's still
    there. Did you mention something about fixies being addictive?

  6. trek-man

    trek-man New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    Oh oh, pics please. We need mode bike porn :D :p

  7. Kim

    Kim Guest

    NoZX6R wrote:
    > Kim wrote:
    > > who would have thought a hard rubbish pickup could lead
    > > to hours of entertainment ;)
    > >
    > > ~ pics on the morrow.

    > addictive isn't it :)

    damn. was up last night 'til 1am putting it all together!
    at work at 6. same again on the morrow =/

    > I need pics now!

    ok, here 'tis; http://tinyurl.com/aftb5

    perhaps not enough shots of the progress.
    kind of got carried away and did all the work
    before i thought about dragging out the camera ;)

    still hanging out for a serious ride.
    damn these 13 hour work days!

    cheers,

    Kim