Another fun Coker ride

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by nathan, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. nathan

    nathan Guest

    Work has been really busy these days such that I only have Sundays for
    riding this month. So Beau, Megumi and I met up with Mike Scalisi and
    our normal riding buddies Scot and Dez for a fun ride along Skyline Blvd
    near here. The ride was out-and-back, just under 15 miles each way with
    just over 3000' of climbing total. That's lots of up. Since Beau had no
    brake on his Coker and we both had 125mm cranks, I never touched my
    brake (in sympathy). That made some of the steep downhills challenging.
    Anyway, great day, great fun. Hope many of you got out this weekend and
    had fun rides too.

    A few photos up 'here.'
    (http://community.webshots.com/album/178488949snqLFY)

    ---Nathan

    --
    nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

  2. aspenmike

    aspenmike Guest

    How sweet it is that the whole family rides together! The ride looks
    great, hills to test both up and down. You even had some four legged
    creatures to check out. Thanks for the pics and report. I rode to and
    from beach volleyball is all this weekend. Our beach volleyball season
    is winding down, so playing allot these days.

    --
    aspenmike - unicycling albino
    aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

  3. harper

    harper Guest

    Four of us did the short, 17 mile version of the Iron Horse Trail ride
    yesterday. We may have taken a total of five photos the entire trip
    because we have photographed that trail so much in the past. It
    sprinkled briefly on us but we probably got wetter from falling
    condensation in the tunnel than on the rest of the ride.

    --
    harper - Fountainhead

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "You go through life and you choose." - Greg Harper

    "Find weak people and take stuff from them" - Greg Harper

  4. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    It's neat to see Megumi on the Coker. 30 miles and 3000 feet of
    climbing makes for a healthy ride.

    I also had a really fun Coker ride on Sunday. Well actually, I had a
    really fun muni ride and then a really fun Coker ride.

    Sunday morning I met up with Jagur and went for a muni ride in Falls
    City, Oregon. The ride in Falls City is a fun one because the trails
    all go downhill. I'm not sure how much climbing there is to get to the
    top, but I think it's around 1000 feet give or take a few hundred. The
    best part is that we finished the ride just as a healthy rain shower
    started. Perfect timing!

    Then I rushed over to Corvallis Oregon to climb Marys Peak. When I got
    to Corvallis the rains were holding off so the climb was on. I did the
    Marys Peak climb on the Coker with 170 mm cranks.

    I tried the 170's just to see what it would be like to do a long climb
    with long cranks. The long cranks worked well. At no point during the
    climb did I feel like I was under-geared. At no point did I have to
    stand on the pedals to keep going. With the 170's I could just sit and
    pedal.

    The crown of the road did present some problems. On the flats the road
    crown doesn't bother me much. But on a climb the road crown was more
    noticeable. It gets worse on right-hand turns where the road slopes
    even more to the right. My left leg had to do a lot more work to keep
    the uni going straight. I'd do a hard push with the left leg to
    counteract the tendency of the uni to veer to the right due to the road
    crown. It got to the point that I was very happy for every left-hand
    turn where my right leg would do the work and my left leg could take a
    rest.

    I didn't take any pictures but I did keep some general stats:

    Distance up: 9.4 miles
    Distance up and down: 18.8 miles
    Total elevation gain: 2800 feet
    Ride time up: 1.5 hours 6.3 mph
    Ride time down: 1 hour 9.4 mph

    Average grade for the first 3.7 miles: 7.1% with a one mile stretch
    with an 8.9% average grade

    Average grade for the rest of the climb: 6.5% - 6.8%

    I'm a little disappointed in the 1.5 hour time for the climb. I could
    do the climb faster. I took it easy because my left leg was not very
    happy and I wasn't sure how I'd be feeling at the end of the ride.

    I did most of the descent without using the brake. I did break down and
    use the brake for the last 1.5 miles because my knees were complaining
    and the grade was getting steeper. The brake is a very nice thing.

    Marys Peak is a fun climb. I'm going to have to do it again next time
    I'm in Corvallis. Maybe I'll try it with shorter cranks next time just
    to compare.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  5. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:04:23 -0500, "john_childs" wrote:

    >The crown of the road did present some problems.

    Next time if you experience that and your tyre isn't rock hard yet,
    try pumping it up some more. (I know you carry a pump.) A harder tyre
    is less affected by road crown because of its lower tendency to
    laterally deform.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

  6. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Klaas Bil wrote:
    > *
    > Next time if you experience that and your tyre isn't rock hard yet,
    > try pumping it up some more. (I know you carry a pump.) A harder tyre
    > is less affected by road crown because of its lower tendency to
    > laterally deform.
    > *

    I actually didn't bring a pump with me on that ride. The only tools I
    brought with me were some allen keys. I only pack a bunch of tools for
    long rides or for group rides. :)

    I had the pressure in the low 40's (psi). I'll try a higher pressure
    next time.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  7. jagur

    jagur Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *
    >

    > I had the pressure in the low 40's (psi). I'll try a higher pressure
    > next time. *

    you must have lowered it because when i squeezed it in the Subaru it was
    rock hard. i'd say 55 or 60 psi at least.

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    -Forget_Your_Life-

    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/tohopic.jpg]

  8. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    I just took my tire pressure up from 40 to 50, and am definitely happier
    at 50. Feels like I'm more in control, and less tendency for the coker
    to "pull".

    Open question to JC and AspenMike: what kind of 170s are you using? I
    run 150s, and I bought some Schwinn 140s thinking they'd be better for
    flat riding. Maybe they will be, although I'm getting more confident
    spinning my 150s, and am thinking I want to start a more serious up and
    down regimen.

    Advice on a good brand of 170s appreciated...

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  9. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    jagur wrote:
    > *...because when i squeezed it in the Subaru it was rock hard. *

    Unicycling's equivalent of Mr. Whipple? :p

    Hah. Jagur, just kidding...not dissing. Even though I might still owe
    you one for that comment about my creative dremel work on the Sun
    doublewide.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  10. jagur

    jagur Guest

    tomblackwood wrote:
    > *Even though I might still owe you one for that comment about my
    > creative dremel work on the Sun doublewide. *

    nope, that was justified. if you finished the job it would'nt have
    caught so much attention.

    taking the tyre off and using a wire wheel would be better i think
    though.

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    -Forget_Your_Life-

    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/tohopic.jpg]

  11. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    jagur wrote:
    > *you must have lowered it because when i squeezed it in the Subaru it
    > was rock hard. i'd say 55 or 60 psi at least. *

    Nope. I just measured the pressure and it was 42 psi. The Coker tire
    is a thick heavy-duty tire. Squeezing it is deceptive.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  12. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    tomblackwood wrote:
    > *Open question to JC and AspenMike: what kind of 170s are you using?
    > I run 150s, and I bought some Schwinn 140s thinking they'd be better
    > for flat riding. Maybe they will be, although I'm getting more
    > confident spinning my 150s, and am thinking I want to start a more
    > serious up and down regimen.
    >
    > Advice on a good brand of 170s appreciated... *

    My 170's are the Black Widow Euro's. They work fine for Coker use. I'm
    not going to be bending a crank on a Coker road ride.

    Mike has Kooka cranks. Very nice cranks, but not available any more.

    Most any of the 170 mm cranks will work fine for road riding. The most
    important factor is making sure that the cranks stay tight. Anything
    other than the Lasco alloy cranks should work well.

    Another option is to get tandem cranks. I used 170 mm Sugino tandem
    cranks on my Pashley. You get a right crank from the captain's set (the
    front rider) and then a matching left crank from a normal bike's set.
    Any bike shop that can order from the QBP (Quality Bicycle Products)
    catalog can get the Sugino tandem cranks and they'll sell them as a
    broken set (one from the tandem set and one from the standard set).
    Should be about $40 for a pair suitable for a unicycle.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  13. aspenmike

    aspenmike Guest

    tomblackwood wrote:
    > *I just took my tire pressure up from 40 to 50, and am definitely
    > happier at 50. Feels like I'm more in control, and less tendency for
    > the coker to "pull".
    >
    > Open question to JC and AspenMike: what kind of 170s are you using?
    > I run 150s, and I bought some Schwinn 140s thinking they'd be better
    > for flat riding. Maybe they will be, although I'm getting more
    > confident spinning my 150s, and am thinking I want to start a more
    > serious up and down regimen.
    >
    > Advice on a good brand of 170s appreciated... *

    I ride with tire pressure of 60 psi or so, even the 22 miles of dirt
    over Boreas Pass the other week was fine with that pressure. I have
    Kooka cranks on my GB4 36er, and really like them. My old Coker used
    Odyssey Black Widows, which seemed just fine. As you know, I am a huge
    advocate for long cranks and no brakes for the "full" effect. Since all
    of my riding is mountains, that combination has had great results.
    Cheers

    | Attachment filename: mikes gb436er .jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/230943|