Another Guy Asking About Wheels....sorry!

wakarusaslowrcr

Jul 26, 2006
Did a search and I'm not sure I found what I'm looking for.

I currently ride a Cannondale R1000 with full Dura-Ace 9speed gruppo including the DA 7801 wheels (the older version with the more aero rim). I really like these wheels but I will be upgrading to a Carbon framed bike maybe as early as this week. Leading contender is a Giant TCR Composite 1. I don't like the weight on the Mavic Kryserium Equipe's that come on the bike so am already looking for an upgrade.

I want a do it all wheelset (doesn't everybody!). The bike will be used in some crits & short road races as well as doing training rides. The training rides in our area involve alot of chip & seal roads to take that into consideration.

I'm willing to spend a bit here as I feel the wheelset is critically important to the overall performance of the bike. I'm a beginning Cat 5, 40yrs old and 180lbs. I climb better than average but not great and I sprint above average. Give me some ideas about what is out there that you folks have had good luck with.

Thanks!

James

wakarusaslowrcr said:
Did a search and I'm not sure I found what I'm looking for.

I currently ride a Cannondale R1000 with full Dura-Ace 9speed gruppo including the DA 7801 wheels (the older version with the more aero rim). I really like these wheels but I will be upgrading to a Carbon framed bike maybe as early as this week. Leading contender is a Giant TCR Composite 1. I don't like the weight on the Mavic Kryserium Equipe's that come on the bike so am already looking for an upgrade.

I want a do it all wheelset (doesn't everybody!). The bike will be used in some crits & short road races as well as doing training rides. The training rides in our area involve alot of chip & seal roads to take that into consideration.

I'm willing to spend a bit here as I feel the wheelset is critically important to the overall performance of the bike. I'm a beginning Cat 5, 40yrs old and 180lbs. I climb better than average but not great and I sprint above average. Give me some ideas about what is out there that you folks have had good luck with.

Thanks!

James
Mavic Ksyrium Es
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/z...TANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=1708&CATEGORY.ID=267&MODE=

or the Dura-ace Wh7801 (can be used with tubeless), both wheelsets are bomb proof but in the middle weight range.

If you want aero efficiency, you could look at HED Jet 50, which would be my ideal wheel, not too sure how they would hold up on the chip and seal roads, over time.

The Mavic ES' would be great. All round versatile wheel. If you want something a little different (given so many people ride Ksyriums), then here are a couple of other suggestions.

DT Swiss 1450 - I'm always talking these up, cause I have a pair and they're awesome. Stronger, lighter and cheaper than the Mavic's with an absolutely superb hub (the famous 240s).
Campy Eurus - Such a nice wheel and the 2006 model looks sweet.

I have a set of Ritchey Protocol's on my TCR-0

Awsome wheels, really light (actual 1480gms - including skewers - weighed them myself) spin like crazy up hills:cool:

and pretty reasonably priced for what you get.

have clocked a couple of thousand kms on them now, only one trip to the doctors for trueing, so yeah, i guess they are pretty durable;)