Another Heart Attack?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Lafferty, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    Tags:


  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

  3. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/3490761.stm
    > >
    > > Medical examiner Francesco Toni said Pantani died of a heart attack, for which the cause had not
    > > been found.
    >
    > Maybe you missed the 10 packs of sedatives that was mentioned?

    Maybe you should cease speaking out of your ass and wait for the medical examiner to confirm or
    reject his initial (preliminary) finding.
     
  4. "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/3490761.stm
    > > >
    > > > Medical examiner Francesco Toni said Pantani died of a heart attack,
    for
    > > > which the cause had not been found.
    > >
    > > Maybe you missed the 10 packs of sedatives that was mentioned?
    >
    > Maybe you should cease speaking out of your ass and wait for the medical examiner to confirm or
    > reject his initial (preliminary) finding.

    Dumbass -

    I agree.

    It is very common for a rider to die of a random heart attack less than 5 years after winning the
    Tour de France.
     
  5. Nobodyman

    Nobodyman Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:10:48 -0800, "Kurgan Gringioni"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]...
    >> > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/3490761.stm
    >> > >
    >> > > Medical examiner Francesco Toni said Pantani died of a heart attack,
    >for
    >> > > which the cause had not been found.
    >> >
    >> > Maybe you missed the 10 packs of sedatives that was mentioned?
    >>
    >> Maybe you should cease speaking out of your ass and wait for the medical examiner to confirm or
    >> reject his initial (preliminary) finding.
    >
    >
    >
    >Dumbass -
    >
    >
    >I agree.
    >
    >It is very common for a rider to die of a random heart attack less than 5 years after winning the
    >Tour de France.
    >

    Assuming you are speaking with dripping sarcasm - you should not speak of what you obviously don't
    know anything about.

    He could have well had a congenital heart defect that just manifested, had an embolis, or any
    other miriad of problems that can and do affect healthy individiuals all the time - including
    pro athletes.

    Not everything is related to drugs.
     
  6. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    NobodyMan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:10:48 -0800, "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>
    >>"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>>
    >>> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]...
    >>> > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> > news:[email protected]...
    >>> > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/3490761.stm
    >>> > >
    >>> > > Medical examiner Francesco Toni said Pantani died of a heart attack,
    >>for
    >>> > > which the cause had not been found.
    >>> >
    >>> > Maybe you missed the 10 packs of sedatives that was mentioned?
    >>>
    >>> Maybe you should cease speaking out of your ass and wait for the medical examiner to confirm or
    >>> reject his initial (preliminary) finding.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>Dumbass -
    >>
    >>
    >>I agree.
    >>
    >>It is very common for a rider to die of a random heart attack less than 5 years after winning the
    >>Tour de France.
    >>

    > Assuming you are speaking with dripping sarcasm - you should not speak of what you obviously don't
    > know anything about.

    > He could have well had a congenital heart defect that just manifested, had an embolis, or any
    > other miriad of problems that can and do affect healthy individiuals all the time - including pro
    > athletes.

    > Not everything is related to drugs.

    For the record, he died of cerebral and pulmanary edema. That ain't heart attack.
     
  7. >> Assuming you are speaking with dripping sarcasm - you should not speak of what you obviously
    >> don't know anything about.
    >
    >> He could have well had a congenital heart defect that just manifested, had an embolis, or any
    >> other miriad of problems that can and do affect healthy individiuals all the time - including pro
    >> athletes.
    >
    >> Not everything is related to drugs.
    >
    >For the record, he died of cerebral and pulmanary edema. That ain't heart attack.

    For the non-medical crowd, what does this mean? Edema is some sort of fluid accumulation. How does
    this happen, typically?

    ---
    Kelly Beard, a.k.a. Mr. K.V.B. Liar
     
  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > Not everything is related to drugs.

    You're right, but this is. Yes, it sounded like he had a whole myriad of problems, but there is no
    way his heart was in that bad of shape from a congenital problem. If it is was, it's unlikely he
    would have been winning amateur races. If he was suffering from pulmonary edema, it sounds like
    congestive heart failure, which could be related to excessive EPO use. It is not unlike someone who
    suffers from untreated hypertension. The continual load on the heart makes the heart work harder and
    get bigger in a bad way - the walls thinken so much O2 can't perfuse the tissue and part die,
    leading to a weakened heart.

    So it looks like heart attack/heart failure.

    CH
     
  9. Kaiser

    Kaiser Guest

    people do tend to forget the very real connection between the physical self and the psychological
    self. I think he died of sadness. it is much harder to get to the top of the world and then losing
    your place, than to never have had it at all....he may have been a fighter all the way, but you
    can't say all the negativity did,'t have some major ffect on him.

    NobodyMan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:10:48 -0800, "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...
    > >> > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> > news:[email protected]...
    > >> > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/3490761.stm
    > >> > >
    > >> > > Medical examiner Francesco Toni said Pantani died of a heart attack,
    > for
    > >> > > which the cause had not been found.
    > >> >
    > >> > Maybe you missed the 10 packs of sedatives that was mentioned?
    > >>
    > >> Maybe you should cease speaking out of your ass and wait for the medical examiner to confirm or
    > >> reject his initial (preliminary) finding.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >Dumbass -
    > >
    > >
    > >I agree.
    > >
    > >It is very common for a rider to die of a random heart attack less than 5 years after winning the
    > >Tour de France.
    > >
    >
    > Assuming you are speaking with dripping sarcasm - you should not speak of what you obviously don't
    > know anything about.
    >
    > He could have well had a congenital heart defect that just manifested, had an embolis, or any
    > other miriad of problems that can and do affect healthy individiuals all the time - including pro
    > athletes.
    >
    > Not everything is related to drugs.
     
  10. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

    kaiser wrote:
    >
    > it is much harder to get to the top of the world and then losing your place, than to never have
    > had it at all...

    this is how i see it too. hh
     
  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > kaiser wrote:
    > >
    > > it is much harder to get to the top of the world and then losing your place, than to never have
    > > had it at all...
    >
    > this is how i see it too.

    Err, how would you know Heather?

    Do you mean that having several million dollars in the bank makes life too unbearable?
     
  12. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

    Tom Kunich wrote:
    >
    > "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > kaiser wrote:
    > > >
    > > > it is much harder to get to the top of the world and then losing your place, than to never
    > > > have had it at all...
    > >
    > > this is how i see it too.
    >
    > Err, how would you know Heather?
    >
    > Do you mean that having several million dollars in the bank makes life too unbearable?

    you know, yesterday, someone told me a story about myself, not ever considering that this loser in
    front of him could be the subject of his anecdote.

    anyway, it's nice to know that you are still willing to troll me after all these years we've been
    together :) heather
     
  13. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > you know, yesterday, someone told me a story about myself, not ever considering that this loser in
    > front of him could be the subject of his
    anecdote.
    >
    > anyway, it's nice to know that you are still willing to troll me after all these years we've been
    > together :)

    Even after all these years you are still to obstruse to understand.
     
  14. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

    Tom Kunich wrote:
    >
    > "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > anyway, it's nice to know that you are still willing to troll me after all these years we've
    > > been together :)
    >
    > Even after all these years you are still to obstruse to understand.

    but that's exactly why it's ever so sweet of you to keep trying.

    heather
    ps. i prefer to think of myself as "obtuse".
     
  15. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    >
    > Tom Kunich wrote:
    > >
    > > "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > > anyway, it's nice to know that you are still willing to troll me after all these years we've
    > > > been together :)
    > >
    > > Even after all these years you are still to obstruse to understand.
    >
    > but that's exactly why it's ever so sweet of you to keep trying.
    >
    > heather
    > ps. i prefer to think of myself as "obtuse".

    I don't know, my guess is that Lafferty might complain about your weight whereas I wouldn't.
     
  16. h squared <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Tom Kunich wrote:
    > > "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > > anyway, it's nice to know that you are still willing to troll me after all these years we've
    > > > been together :)
    > >
    > > Even after all these years you are still to obstruse to understand.

    > but that's exactly why it's ever so sweet of you to keep trying.

    > heather
    > ps. i prefer to think of myself as "obtuse".

    That's interesting, Kunich's sentence means exactly opposite things depending on whether he meant to
    say "obtuse" or "abstruse" (first case, you don't understand him, second case, he doesn't understand
    you). Willard V.O. Quine or Raymond Queneau would have loved it.

    Well, it's interesting to geeks, that is.

    Who said the purpose of language is to communicate, anyway?
     
  17. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

    Benjamin Weiner wrote:
    >
    > That's interesting, Kunich's sentence means exactly opposite things depending on whether he meant
    > to say "obtuse" or "abstruse" (first case, you don't understand him, second case, he doesn't
    > understand you). Willard V.O. Quine or Raymond Queneau would have loved it.
    >
    > Well, it's interesting to geeks, that is.
    >
    > Who said the purpose of language is to communicate, anyway?

    dang it, you're smart (acute?). you too, tom, if you did that on purpose.

    usually i get my twelve year old son to explain robert chung's puns to me (and he always has to
    finish the explanation with "YOU DIDN'T GET THAT??"), so i'll stick with obtuse, although being both
    could be quite possible, i suppose.

    hh
     
  18. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Actually he should have said that the purpose of language is to excommunicate.

    "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    >
    > Benjamin Weiner wrote:
    > >
    > > That's interesting, Kunich's sentence means exactly opposite things depending on whether he
    > > meant to say "obtuse" or "abstruse" (first case, you don't understand him, second case, he
    > > doesn't understand you). Willard V.O. Quine or Raymond Queneau would have loved it.
    > >
    > > Well, it's interesting to geeks, that is.
    > >
    > > Who said the purpose of language is to communicate, anyway?
    >
    > dang it, you're smart (acute?). you too, tom, if you did that on purpose.
    >
    > usually i get my twelve year old son to explain robert chung's puns to me (and he always has to
    > finish the explanation with "YOU DIDN'T GET THAT??"), so i'll stick with obtuse, although being
    > both could be quite possible, i suppose.
    >
    > hh
     
  19. h squared wrote:

    > usually i get my twelve year old son to explain robert chung's puns to me (and he always has to
    > finish the explanation with "YOU DIDN'T GET THAT??"), so i'll stick with obtuse, although being
    > both could be quite possible, i suppose.

    Almost nobody gets my bilingual puns...
     
  20. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

    Stewart Fleming wrote:
    >
    > h squared wrote:
    >
    > > usually i get my twelve year old son to explain robert chung's puns to me
    >
    > Almost nobody gets my bilingual puns...

    luckily my twelve year old isn't here today, or i'd have to come kick your ass for asking him to
    explain that one.

    heather
     
Loading...
Loading...