Another Heart Rate question---this one about red line (90%+ zone)

JamesAA

Aug 10, 2013
I played 1 hour and 20 min of tennis today and wore my HR monitor. We played at a fast pace (took little or no breaks between the interchanges). My avg HR was 141, my max was 173. During the last 15 or 20 min my HR was almost always between 160-173, and it would reach the 170s at the greatest of ease (after just a 2 or 3 shots in a rally).

But while it was in the 160s I didn't feel "winded." I was even breathing out of my nose. So how do I interpret this?

Obviously I was more taxed near the end based on the fact that my HR was reaching 170 so much more readily than in the first 15-20 min of the match. Yet at 170 bpm I'm not panting. I'm scared that my HR is that high but I'm really not out of breath.

(1) Is there anything I can take away from this observation?

(2) Should I be careful not to keep my HR above 160 like that for very long?

I see my HR above 160 for 15-20 minutes like that and I get nervous that I am putting my life in danger.

Thanks,
James

Why are you concerned? If your heart is healthy, then no worries. Besides, the HR numbers you give are only significant in relation to your max HR. If your max HR is say 210 bpm, then 170 would only be 85%, which you should be able to sustain without much trouble. My max HR is 180 (at age 65), so for me 170 is getting well into the "red line". Still, I don't worry about it because fortunately I have good cardiac health.

If you're concerned about your heart, or have a family history of heart disease, you could ask your doctor about some simple tests to confirm your ability to go high-intensity without risk.

Quote:Originally Posted by dhk2 .Why are you concerned? If your heart is healthy, then no worries. Besides, the HR numbers you give are only significant in relation to your max HR. If your max HR is say 210 bpm, then 170 would only be 85%, which you should be able to sustain without much trouble. My max HR is 180 (at age 65), so for me 170 is getting well into the "red line". Still, I don't worry about it because fortunately I have good cardiac health.

If you're concerned about your heart, or have a family history of heart disease, you could ask your doctor about some simple tests to confirm your ability to go high-intensity without risk.

Wow that's cool that your max HR is 180 for age 65. 180 is my supposed theoretical max. I gather from what you said that in actuality my max HR could be higher. I guess that's why I was concerned. I was operating under the assumption that 180 is my max and then when I hit 174 on moderate rallies in tennis, I thought something must be wrong, for my HR to get so high. The fact that I'm not breathing super heavy at 170...does this tell you anything. If 170 was nearing my HR max, I would be breathing quite heavily, no?

If you feel strange or have unusual sensations, go get a checkup. It's cheap and could save your life if you have an underlying problem. If you're fit and healthy, getting your heart rate up does you more good than harm
cool.png

Does your HRM graph your heart rate over the time your exercising, it could be that you're only look at it when its peeking and you may be spending the majority of the time well below that 170 figure.