another heartrate question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bob Banfield, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Bob Banfield

    Bob Banfield Guest

    I've heard conflicting opinions about calculating % of max HR but for my money: Assuming a max HR of
    186 and a resting HR of 48 80% of max HR = (max HR - resting HR) x (80/100) + resting HR
    =158.4
    As opposed to 80% x 186 =148.8 Am I right?

    cheers Bob

    Tags:

  2. Niv

    Niv Guest

    I've read loads of articles in books & mags about this. The first formula [(Max-Min)*%] +Min is the
    Karvonen formula - generally accepted as a good method.

    The straight % * is found quite a lot, but I prefer to use the Karvonen one.

    Not much help, but as you rightly say, conflicting opinions abound.

    Just find what you're comfortable with & stick to it. Also, see if you can read Sally Edwards Heart
    Rate book - very good. Niv.

    "Bob Banfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've heard conflicting opinions about calculating % of max HR but for my money: Assuming a max HR
    > of 186 and a resting HR of 48 80% of max HR = (max HR - resting HR) x (80/100) + resting HR
    > =158.4
    > As opposed to 80% x 186 =148.8 Am I right?
    >
    > cheers Bob

  3. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    "Bob Banfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've heard conflicting opinions about calculating % of max HR but for my money: Assuming a max HR
    > of 186 and a resting HR of 48 80% of max HR = (max HR - resting HR) x (80/100) + resting HR
    > =158.4
    > As opposed to 80% x 186 =148.8 Am I right?

    Both might be 'right', depending who's book you are reading, I think both definitions are frequently
    used. If your 'assumed max' is a guess based on 225-age or whatever, and the 80% is supposed to be
    some sort of threshold, then it doesn't really matter which you use cos it'll probably be badly
    wrong anyway.

    James