Another Hill related Question.

slyjackson

Jun 18, 2007
I'm just collecting some info on what gears on the cassette and chainring do "YOU" use "standing on the pedals" going up hills with 15-18 grade inclines ? I know it depends a lot on the rider and their condition, but Im just trying to get a "baseline" to work from. :)

Question explained in more detail for those who mis-understood

This question is about a very steep hill in my area and its about a football field long. It looks like it goes up to the sky.I dont know the actual percentage of the grade, it may only be 10% or maybe more maybe less. I have no means to measure the grade angle at my disposal. I just grab the 15-18 % number. I have not tried to climb it yet because it's so steep. I saw a guy yesterday "standing on the pedals" and he made it all the way to the top and I just wondered what gears he was using so I could possibly get a base line on what gear range I should try to "stand on the pedals" and tackle this thing.

So I will ask this question again, since some thought I was asking for information on what gears I should use which was not what I was asking, On the steepest hill that "YOU" climb by "standing on the pedals", what chainring/cassette gear combo do "YOU' use ?

How long of a hill and if a short climb do you have a good run in at it to maintain a good speed before you begin the climb.

jhuskey said:
How long of a hill and if a short climb do you have a good run in at it to maintain a good speed before you begin the climb.
Nope its about a football field long.

To me this is a short hill so depending on the individual you should be able to attack the climb reasonably with a 39 x 23 or so with a decent cadence.
I have a 27 bail out gear for the long steep climbs.
Of course opiniions vary.

slyjackson said:
On the steepest hill that "YOU" climb by "standing on the pedals", what chainring/cassette gear combo do "YOU' use ?
on the steepest hill I have climbed I used 34/25 gearing ;)

-Peg

Just ride the hill with a more experienced rider and mirror his/her actions, best way to learn, pretty soon you will be the one mirrored.

slyjackson said:
I'm just collecting some info on what gears on the cassette and chainring do "YOU" use "standing on the pedals" going up hills with 15-18 grade inclines ? I know it depends a lot on the rider and their condition, but Im just trying to get a "baseline" to work from. :)

Question explained in more detail for those who mis-understood

This question is about a very steep hill in my area and its about a football field long. It looks like it goes up to the sky.I dont know the actual percentage of the grade, it may only be 10% or maybe more maybe less. I have no means to measure the grade angle at my disposal. I just grab the 15-18 % number. I have not tried to climb it yet because it's so steep. I saw a guy yesterday "standing on the pedals" and he made it all the way to the top and I just wondered what gears he was using so I could possibly get a base line on what gear range I should try to "stand on the pedals" and tackle this thing.

So I will ask this question again, since some thought I was asking for information on what gears I should use which was not what I was asking, On the steepest hill that "YOU" climb by "standing on the pedals", what chainring/cassette gear combo do "YOU' use ?

Again it depends on ability and sustained climb. It takes more energy to stand. I can easily climb a 22 % with a 27 gear while sitting.Well,not easily but I can do it.
I can alternately stand to increase cadence then sit to conserve energy. Alternating this process by standing for 30 seconds or so and then sitting for 60 seconds you generally climb faster. This ration can vary depending on ability and the climb.
This works for me others may differ in opinion.