Another Hub Dynamo question

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:06:35 +0100, Richard Bates
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Are Schmidt and SON the same thing?

> Yes.

SON = Schmidt's Original Naben(hub)dynamo

When Wifried Schmidt first designed the SON, he licenced/sold the design to
Union (now Marwi), who made a cheapskate job of manufacturing it, so the
connections out from the generator inside the hub to the terminals outside
broke fairly easily.
After a while, he got fed up with this state of affairs, retrieved the
design, and started making it himself, properly, and marketed it as the
"Original" non-cheapskate version. (It had done the rounds of shows &
magazine reviews for a couple of years before Union started manufacture)

Andrew

(as you might guess, I've got a dead Union version (WING-1) in the back of a
drawer somewhere)

Andrew Sweetman wrote:

> (as you might guess, I've got a dead Union version (WING-1) in the back of a
> drawer somewhere)

If it is the version where you can't see the bearings from outside, SON
can update the interior with their own stator for a reasonable fee.
Other Wings can be repaired.

Contact the factory if you're interested
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL