Another Hub Dynamo question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Bates, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Are Schmidt and SON the same thing?

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:06:35 +0100, Richard Bates
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Are Schmidt and SON the same thing?

    Yes.

  3. "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:06:35 +0100, Richard Bates
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Are Schmidt and SON the same thing?

    > Yes.

    SON = Schmidt's Original Naben(hub)dynamo

    When Wifried Schmidt first designed the SON, he licenced/sold the design to
    Union (now Marwi), who made a cheapskate job of manufacturing it, so the
    connections out from the generator inside the hub to the terminals outside
    broke fairly easily.
    After a while, he got fed up with this state of affairs, retrieved the
    design, and started making it himself, properly, and marketed it as the
    "Original" non-cheapskate version. (It had done the rounds of shows &
    magazine reviews for a couple of years before Union started manufacture)

    Andrew

    (as you might guess, I've got a dead Union version (WING-1) in the back of a
    drawer somewhere)

  4. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Andrew Sweetman wrote:

    > (as you might guess, I've got a dead Union version (WING-1) in the back of a
    > drawer somewhere)

    If it is the version where you can't see the bearings from outside, SON
    can update the interior with their own stator for a reasonable fee.
    Other Wings can be repaired.

    Contact the factory if you're interested
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL