Another mans trash is another mans treasure...

Tj Poseno

Guest
I got a Gary Fisher Mr.skinner out of a dumpster today. Its been painted, and has no brakes. But who
cares. It had a bent crank too but that was fixed no prob with a pry bar. Nice bike though. Just
need to find some of the brakes I have layin around.

[email protected] (TJ Poseno) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I got a Gary Fisher Mr.skinner out of a dumpster today. Its been painted, and has no brakes. But
> who cares. It had a bent crank too but that was fixed no prob with a pry bar. Nice bike though.
> Just need to find some of the brakes I have layin around.

Im gonna paint it now, but, its steel, do I need to prime it first before I paint on the bare steel?
Or should I just rough up the old paint.

>From: [email protected] (TJ Poseno)

>do I need to prime it first before I paint on the bare steel? Or should I just
rough up the old paint.

Use a primer either way.

Sig Chicago

--------------020705020609030700050209 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

A short story about buying or finding used.

A friend bought a bike at a garage sale. Looked like a really nice bike
- just a few years old. His first ride on it was a club ride. He stood up at the bottom of a fast
downhill in order to try to stay on our tandem wheel. We believe what happened next is that the
chain rode up onto the tops of the large chainwheel as he torqued the cranks - at which time his
crank promptly spun fairly freely. All I heard was grinding & scraping as he & his bike hit the
road. Ambulance was called. He had 5 broken ribs & lots of road rash.

Moral of story: be careful of the bargains. Check them over carefully & take your time to get
accustomed to them.

MOO, Matt

TJ Poseno wrote:

>[email protected] (TJ Poseno) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>

>>I got a Gary Fisher Mr.skinner out of a dumpster today. Its been painted, and has no brakes. But
>>who cares. It had a bent crank too but that was fixed no prob with a pry bar. Nice bike though.
>>Just need to find some of the brakes I have layin around.
>>

>Im gonna paint it now, but, its steel, do I need to prime it first before I paint on the bare
>steel? Or should I just rough up the old paint.

--------------020705020609030700050209 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
short story about buying or finding used.<br> <br> A friend bought a bike at a garage sale.
Looked like a really nice bike
- just a few years old. His first ride on it was a club ride. He stood up at the bottom
of a fast downhill in order to try to stay on our tandem wheel. We believe what happened
next is that the chain rode up onto the tops of the large chainwheel as he torqued the cranks - at
which time his crank promptly spun fairly freely. All I heard was grinding & scraping as
he & his bike hit the road. Ambulance was called. He had 5 broken ribs & lots
of road rash.<br> <br> Moral of story: be careful of the bargains. Check them over
Poseno wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite"
cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap=""><a
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a> (TJ
Poseno) wrote in message news:<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:aac782c8.0302091542.2-
[email protected]"><[email protected]></a>... </pre>
been painted, and has no brakes. But who cares. It had a bent crank too but that was fixed no prob
with a pry bar. Nice bike though. Just need to find some of the brakes I have layin around. </pre>
first before I paint on the bare steel? Or should I just rough up the old paint. </pre>

--------------020705020609030700050209--

Every bike is a used bike.
------------------------

----------------------------
TJ Poseno wrote:

[email protected] (TJ Poseno) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

I got a Gary Fisher Mr.skinner out of a dumpster today. Its been painted, and has no brakes. But who
cares. It had a bent crank too but that was fixed no prob with a pry bar. Nice bike though. Just
need to find some of the brakes I have layin around.

Im gonna paint it now, but, its steel, do I need to prime it first before I paint on the bare steel?
Or should I just rough up the old paint.

So i guess i will prime it. And I checked everything over ahead of time, because i was making sure a
wheel wasnt gonna fall off, but htanks for the tip.

Matt Locker <[email protected]> wrote:
: A short story about buying or finding used.

: A friend bought a bike at a garage sale. Looked like a really nice bike
: - just a few years old. His first ride on it was a club ride. He stood up at the bottom of a fast
: downhill in order to try to stay on our tandem wheel. We believe what happened next is that the
: chain rode up onto the tops of the large chainwheel as he torqued the cranks - at which time his
: crank promptly spun fairly freely. All I heard was grinding & scraping as he & his bike hit the
: road. Ambulance was called. He had 5 broken ribs & lots of road rash.

: Moral of story: be careful of the bargains. Check them over carefully & take your time to get
: accustomed to them.

Moral of story: don't stand and pedal on a fast downhill.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse' [email protected]
--------------------------------

Matt, Bicycle mechanics make about 150% of minimum wage which means they can't have families,
houses, kids, etc. so they end up sitting at their other job writing clever **** on news servers :eek:)
To ask 21 lbs. of material to take you thousands of miles and up and down hills at tremendous speeds
and forces is alot to ask. And to have a 19-year-old kid making 8.50 an hour to make sure you do not
die is also a lot to ask. Your friend got burned, but he did save the $35-50 that a complete tune up
would have cost him. That's a bummer. I'm sorry for him. To anyone who reads this...used bikes are
risky and they break. Never use used handlebars and replace your bars and stem binder bolt every
year or two if you are a powerful rider or race or ride on bad terrain. This is extremely important
in this day and age of ultra-light equipment. Aluminum is a cursed material and can bite you, hard.
They do not call it "catastrophic failure" for nothing.