Another moron got his letter published in the Herald Sun on saturday

Phillip Brown

Guest
They dont seem to have an online version of the letter. Suffice to say it
was typical of motorists views towards cyclists (at least those who write
letters to the editor)

Here is my reply

Dear Sir

R.Lee (6th November) is so aggrieved by the rampant hordes of lawless
cyclists taking his precious road space, and threatening serious harm to
him and his vehicle, that he endorses 'road rage' as a valid response.

His list of 'transgressions' is, frankly, laughable. It may come as a
surprise to many motorists to learn that riding two abreast is entirely
legal, as is a cyclist taking the whole lane where it is appropriate to do
so to ensure the cyclist's safety. 'Not moving off quickly at a green
light'? Is he that desperate to make it to the next set of traffic lights?
I could give an equivalent list of offences regularly perpertrated by
motorists on cyclists which occasion cyclists actual serious injury, as
opposed to the inconvenience suffered by R.Lee when a cyclist 'leans on
the side of a truck'.

Not surprisingly, R. Lee plays the financial card as a final justification
for treating cyclists as second class citizens on the roads. Have the
people who regulary trot out this excuse seriously thought about why
motorists are required to pay the charges they do? Motorists are wielding
two tonnes of metal, glass and rubber at 60-100 km/h, causing death and
injury that costs the community billions each year, and requiring
infrastructure that costs hundreds of millions of dollars to build and
maintain. Does anyone seriously believe any significant proportion of
those actual and social costs are imposed by cyclists on the community to
the extent that cyclists should pay for the priviledge of sharing the road
with motorists like R.Lee?

phillip brown

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 at 09:29 GMT, Phillip Brown (aka Bruce)
> They dont seem to have an online version of the letter. Suffice to say it
> was typical of motorists views towards cyclists (at least those who write
> letters to the editor)
>
> Here is my reply

Nice one too.

I doubt you'll be published. You wrote too well.

.-.
/v\ L I N U X
// \\ >Phear the Penguin<
/( )\
^^-^^

Phillip Brown said:
[...]

Unfortunately there is far too much logic and reason in the letter for a fine paper like the Herald Sun

Not surprisingly, R. Lee plays the financial card as a final justification
for treating cyclists as second class citizens on the roads. Have the
people who regulary trot out this excuse seriously thought about why
motorists are required to pay the charges they do? Motorists are wielding
two tonnes of metal, glass and rubber at 60-100 km/h, causing death and
injury that costs the community billions each year, and requiring
infrastructure that costs hundreds of millions of dollars to build and
maintain. Does anyone seriously believe any significant proportion of
those actual and social costs are imposed by cyclists on the community to
the extent that cyclists should pay for the priviledge of sharing the road
with motorists like R.Lee?

phillip brown[/QUOTE]
Gotta love the motorist's argument of "drivers pay, cyclists don't". I pay registration for 2 vehicles. Most cyclists would pay registration fees for motor vehicles too. There we are, road use paid for, even if I choose to leave the car at home and travel by bike.

But wait, surely registration fees don't pay for all the road infrastructure. Some must come out of consolidated revenue, ie taxes. I pay those too(income tax, GST including on bikes and bike accessories, etc) and most other cyclists would too. Road use paid for by tax paying cyclists.

Finally, its always fun to show the lack of logic in someone'e argument by taking it to its illogical conclusion: Cyclists have no right to the road as they do not pay registration fees. Taken to its conclusion, neither do pedestrians as they are not registered. Get off the road, get off the footpath, Mr Toad coming through!!

SteveA.

"SteveA" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]

[...]

> But wait, surely registration fees don't pay for all the road
> infrastructure.

Rego doesn't directly pay for any of it. It goes into consolidated revenue.
For example, shortly after coming to office in Victoria Kennett doubled rego
to pay off state debt. Not a cent went into road funding. It doesn't have
to and any government which says it does is at best being disingenuous.

For example, see the (Victorian) Road Safety Act 1986:

PART 2--REGISTRATION

Division 2--Registration

5. Purposes of registration

The purposes of registration are--

(a) to ensure that the design, construction and equipment of motor vehicles
and trailers which are used on a highway meet safety and environmental
standards; and
(b) to enable the use of motor vehicles and trailers on highways to be
regulated for reasons of safety, protection of the environment and law
enforcement; and
(c) to provide a method of establishing the identity of each motor vehicle
or trailer which is used on a highway and of the person who is responsible
for it.

http://www.dms.dpc.vic.gov.au/l2d/R/ACT01149/7_3.html

--

A: Top-posters.

DRS said:
"SteveA" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]

[...]

> But wait, surely registration fees don't pay for all the road
> infrastructure.

Rego doesn't directly pay for any of it. It goes into consolidated revenue.
For example, shortly after coming to office in Victoria Kennett doubled rego
to pay off state debt. Not a cent went into road funding. It doesn't have
to and any government which says it does is at best being disingenuous.

For example, see the (Victorian) Road Safety Act 1986:

PART 2--REGISTRATION

Division 2--Registration

5. Purposes of registration

The purposes of registration are--

(a) to ensure that the design, construction and equipment of motor vehicles
and trailers which are used on a highway meet safety and environmental
standards; and
(b) to enable the use of motor vehicles and trailers on highways to be
regulated for reasons of safety, protection of the environment and law
enforcement; and
(c) to provide a method of establishing the identity of each motor vehicle
or trailer which is used on a highway and of the person who is responsible
for it.

http://www.dms.dpc.vic.gov.au/l2d/R/ACT01149/7_3.html

--

A: Top-posters.
Exactly. The rego argument is similar to the 'I'm a taxpayer argument' which has been used to justify anything and everything that cannot be justified. I used to work for a Commonwealth agency and most people I dealt with were wonderful. But there were some morons. After explaining to them that we could not do anything for lack of legal power, lack of legal jurisdiction etc the unreasonable ones, who often had a frivolous or vexatious issue anyway, often resorted to "I'm a taxpayer and I demand that you deal with this for me". I got home one night and worked out that each 'taxpayer' was entitled to exactly 3 minutes and 48 seconds of my time. When I had to deal with the rare obnoxious idiot, I used to think,"3 minutes and 48 seconds, 3 minutes and 48 seconds...". I never ever mentioned it to even the most obnoxious person, though.

SteveA

news:p[email protected]...

Well said. Fight the power! :)

Of course, there's a simpler way of responding to letters to the Hun. Simply type your letter writers name and suburb into http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/resSearch.jhtml and call them up or visit them in person to discuss things further.

Shabby said:
Of course, there's a simpler way of responding to letters to the Hun. Simply type your letter writers name and suburb into http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/resSearch.jhtml and call them up or visit them in person to discuss things further.

Last year a friend received in the mail, a semi-literate anonymous (and obnoxious) response to a letter he had published in The Age. If you can do it, so will they.

<snip>

> Last year a friend received in the mail, a semi-literate anonymous (and
> obnoxious) response to a letter he had published in The Age. If you can
> do it, so will they.

Better a agro letter than Hired goons or so :)

James

Stop bagging the Herald Sun - they published it.

plus they're the sponsors of Victoria's largest tour...

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:58:54 +1100, Jhikers wrote:

> Stop bagging the Herald Sun - they published it.
>
> plus they're the sponsors of Victoria's largest tour...

They Did???!!! When?
--

phillip brown

"**** doesn't just happen. there is always an ass-hole involved"

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:00:39 +1100, flyingdutch wrote:

> Phillip Brown Wrote:
>>

>> They Did???!!! When?
>> --
>>

> you are kidding. right?
>
> 'Herald-Sun tour' ring any bells

I meant the letter......
--

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:42:53 +1100, Phillip Brown wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:58:54 +1100, Jhikers wrote:
>

>> Stop bagging the Herald Sun - they published it.
>>
>> plus they're the sponsors of Victoria's largest tour...

> They Did???!!! When?

publish the letter, I mean
--

phillip brown

"**** doesn't just happen. there is always an ass-hole involved"

I was reading the paper last week, probably around Tues-Thurs.

It was in the double page spread that has 50/50 etc, and was in the bottom-right corner all on its own under the heading "MY SAY".

It starred!