Another moron got his letter published in the Herald Sun on saturday

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Phillip Brown, Nov 7, 2004.

  1. They dont seem to have an online version of the letter. Suffice to say it
    was typical of motorists views towards cyclists (at least those who write
    letters to the editor)

    Here is my reply

    Dear Sir

    R.Lee (6th November) is so aggrieved by the rampant hordes of lawless
    cyclists taking his precious road space, and threatening serious harm to
    him and his vehicle, that he endorses 'road rage' as a valid response.

    His list of 'transgressions' is, frankly, laughable. It may come as a
    surprise to many motorists to learn that riding two abreast is entirely
    legal, as is a cyclist taking the whole lane where it is appropriate to do
    so to ensure the cyclist's safety. 'Not moving off quickly at a green
    light'? Is he that desperate to make it to the next set of traffic lights?
    I could give an equivalent list of offences regularly perpertrated by
    motorists on cyclists which occasion cyclists actual serious injury, as
    opposed to the inconvenience suffered by R.Lee when a cyclist 'leans on
    the side of a truck'.

    Not surprisingly, R. Lee plays the financial card as a final justification
    for treating cyclists as second class citizens on the roads. Have the
    people who regulary trot out this excuse seriously thought about why
    motorists are required to pay the charges they do? Motorists are wielding
    two tonnes of metal, glass and rubber at 60-100 km/h, causing death and
    injury that costs the community billions each year, and requiring
    infrastructure that costs hundreds of millions of dollars to build and
    maintain. Does anyone seriously believe any significant proportion of
    those actual and social costs are imposed by cyclists on the community to
    the extent that cyclists should pay for the priviledge of sharing the road
    with motorists like R.Lee?

    phillip brown

    Tags:

  2. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 at 09:29 GMT, Phillip Brown (aka Bruce)
    > They dont seem to have an online version of the letter. Suffice to say it
    > was typical of motorists views towards cyclists (at least those who write
    > letters to the editor)
    >
    > Here is my reply

    Nice one too.

    I doubt you'll be published. You wrote too well.

    .-.
    /v\ L I N U X
    // \\ >Phear the Penguin<
    /( )\
    ^^-^^

  3. spiz

    spiz New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2003

    Unfortunately there is far too much logic and reason in the letter for a fine paper like the Herald Sun

  4. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Not surprisingly, R. Lee plays the financial card as a final justification
    for treating cyclists as second class citizens on the roads. Have the
    people who regulary trot out this excuse seriously thought about why
    motorists are required to pay the charges they do? Motorists are wielding
    two tonnes of metal, glass and rubber at 60-100 km/h, causing death and
    injury that costs the community billions each year, and requiring
    infrastructure that costs hundreds of millions of dollars to build and
    maintain. Does anyone seriously believe any significant proportion of
    those actual and social costs are imposed by cyclists on the community to
    the extent that cyclists should pay for the priviledge of sharing the road
    with motorists like R.Lee?

    phillip brown[/QUOTE]
    Gotta love the motorist's argument of "drivers pay, cyclists don't". I pay registration for 2 vehicles. Most cyclists would pay registration fees for motor vehicles too. There we are, road use paid for, even if I choose to leave the car at home and travel by bike.

    But wait, surely registration fees don't pay for all the road infrastructure. Some must come out of consolidated revenue, ie taxes. I pay those too(income tax, GST including on bikes and bike accessories, etc) and most other cyclists would too. Road use paid for by tax paying cyclists.

    Finally, its always fun to show the lack of logic in someone'e argument by taking it to its illogical conclusion: Cyclists have no right to the road as they do not pay registration fees. Taken to its conclusion, neither do pedestrians as they are not registered. Get off the road, get off the footpath, Mr Toad coming through!!

    SteveA.

  5. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "SteveA" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    [...]

    > But wait, surely registration fees don't pay for all the road
    > infrastructure.

    Rego doesn't directly pay for any of it. It goes into consolidated revenue.
    For example, shortly after coming to office in Victoria Kennett doubled rego
    to pay off state debt. Not a cent went into road funding. It doesn't have
    to and any government which says it does is at best being disingenuous.

    For example, see the (Victorian) Road Safety Act 1986:

    PART 2--REGISTRATION

    Division 2--Registration

    5. Purposes of registration

    The purposes of registration are--

    (a) to ensure that the design, construction and equipment of motor vehicles
    and trailers which are used on a highway meet safety and environmental
    standards; and
    (b) to enable the use of motor vehicles and trailers on highways to be
    regulated for reasons of safety, protection of the environment and law
    enforcement; and
    (c) to provide a method of establishing the identity of each motor vehicle
    or trailer which is used on a highway and of the person who is responsible
    for it.

    http://www.dms.dpc.vic.gov.au/l2d/R/ACT01149/7_3.html

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  6. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Exactly. The rego argument is similar to the 'I'm a taxpayer argument' which has been used to justify anything and everything that cannot be justified. I used to work for a Commonwealth agency and most people I dealt with were wonderful. But there were some morons. After explaining to them that we could not do anything for lack of legal power, lack of legal jurisdiction etc the unreasonable ones, who often had a frivolous or vexatious issue anyway, often resorted to "I'm a taxpayer and I demand that you deal with this for me". I got home one night and worked out that each 'taxpayer' was entitled to exactly 3 minutes and 48 seconds of my time. When I had to deal with the rare obnoxious idiot, I used to think,"3 minutes and 48 seconds, 3 minutes and 48 seconds...". I never ever mentioned it to even the most obnoxious person, though.

    SteveA

  7. Unregistered

    Unregistered Guest

    "Phillip Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > They dont seem to have an online version of the letter. Suffice to say it
    > was typical of motorists views towards cyclists (at least those who write
    > letters to the editor)
    >
    > Here is my reply
    >
    > Dear Sir
    >
    > R.Lee (6th November) is so aggrieved by the rampant hordes of lawless
    > cyclists taking his precious road space, and threatening serious harm to
    > him and his vehicle, that he endorses 'road rage' as a valid response.
    >
    > His list of 'transgressions' is, frankly, laughable. It may come as a
    > surprise to many motorists to learn that riding two abreast is entirely
    > legal, as is a cyclist taking the whole lane where it is appropriate to do
    > so to ensure the cyclist's safety. 'Not moving off quickly at a green
    > light'? Is he that desperate to make it to the next set of traffic lights?
    > I could give an equivalent list of offences regularly perpertrated by
    > motorists on cyclists which occasion cyclists actual serious injury, as
    > opposed to the inconvenience suffered by R.Lee when a cyclist 'leans on
    > the side of a truck'.
    >
    > Not surprisingly, R. Lee plays the financial card as a final justification
    > for treating cyclists as second class citizens on the roads. Have the
    > people who regulary trot out this excuse seriously thought about why
    > motorists are required to pay the charges they do? Motorists are wielding
    > two tonnes of metal, glass and rubber at 60-100 km/h, causing death and
    > injury that costs the community billions each year, and requiring
    > infrastructure that costs hundreds of millions of dollars to build and
    > maintain. Does anyone seriously believe any significant proportion of
    > those actual and social costs are imposed by cyclists on the community to
    > the extent that cyclists should pay for the priviledge of sharing the road
    > with motorists like R.Lee?
    >
    > phillip brown

    Well said. Fight the power! :)

  8. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Of course, there's a simpler way of responding to letters to the Hun. Simply type your letter writers name and suburb into http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/resSearch.jhtml and call them up or visit them in person to discuss things further.

  9. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Last year a friend received in the mail, a semi-literate anonymous (and obnoxious) response to a letter he had published in The Age. If you can do it, so will they.

  10. James

    James Guest

    <snip>

    > Last year a friend received in the mail, a semi-literate anonymous (and
    > obnoxious) response to a letter he had published in The Age. If you can
    > do it, so will they.

    Better a agro letter than Hired goons or so :)

    James

  11. xisle

    xisle New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2004
    Hired? I'm sure you could find some cyclists who'd volunteer

  12. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    too many syllables for the Herald-Sun

  13. Jhikers

    Jhikers New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2004
    Stop bagging the Herald Sun - they published it.

    plus they're the sponsors of Victoria's largest tour...

  14. On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:58:54 +1100, Jhikers wrote:

    > Stop bagging the Herald Sun - they published it.
    >
    > plus they're the sponsors of Victoria's largest tour...

    They Did???!!! When?
    --

    phillip brown

    "shit doesn't just happen. there is always an ass-hole involved"

  15. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    you are kidding. right?

    'Herald-Sun tour' ring any bells

  16. On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:00:39 +1100, flyingdutch wrote:

    > Phillip Brown Wrote:
    >>

    >> They Did???!!! When?
    >> --
    >>

    > you are kidding. right?
    >
    > 'Herald-Sun tour' ring any bells

    I meant the letter......
    --

  17. On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:42:53 +1100, Phillip Brown wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:58:54 +1100, Jhikers wrote:
    >

    >> Stop bagging the Herald Sun - they published it.
    >>
    >> plus they're the sponsors of Victoria's largest tour...

    > They Did???!!! When?

    publish the letter, I mean
    --

    phillip brown

    "shit doesn't just happen. there is always an ass-hole involved"

  18. Jhikers

    Jhikers New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2004
    I was reading the paper last week, probably around Tues-Thurs.

    It was in the double page spread that has 50/50 etc, and was in the bottom-right corner all on its own under the heading "MY SAY".

    It starred!