Another Mountain Biker Killed Practicing another Extreme Sport

Mike Vandeman

Guest
Freeride Entertainment's Carey Bokser perishes in backcountry
By Darren Davidson

The well-known and well-liked Carey Bokser (pictured here with infant
daughter, Noa) is mourned by the bike industry. We extend our
sympathies to Carey's family and to everyone at Freeride
Entertainment.

Family, friends and business associates are mourning the tragic loss
of a man well known in the international cycling and adventure sport
industries, following an accident high above Nelson B.C.¹s Whitewater
Resort, in late February.

Carey Bokser, senior production manager for Freeride Entertainment,
perished after a fall during a ski touring accident. The accident
happened shortly before 11:00 a.m., Saturday, Feb. 25, on a day marked
by mostly blue skies and great backcountry skiing following three days
of snowfall.

According to a Whitewater spokesperson, Carey and another skier were
beginning their descent on an expert out-of-bounds slope known as the
Hummer Face, above the resort¹s boundaries. Carey¹s ski caught on a
rock. He fell and tumbled down a cliff face. He died at the scene.

"It¹s an extreme area," says Whitewater¹s Anne Pigeon. "There¹s no
room for error up there."

The fall was witnessed by a number of people, including Whitewater
staff. The second skier, Freeride¹s Eric Crosland, was able to descend
safely.

"Two of our patrols were in Ymir Bowl doing a snow study, so they were
on the scene within about 12 minutes," Pigeon says. "They started to
administer first aid and CPR." The two patrols were joined by three
other patrollers shortly after. Nelson Search and Rescue were also
called, along with RCMP and a rescue helicopter.

Pigeon says due to the steep, difficult terrain, rescuers needed to
secure the site for the safety of patrollers who¹d gone up to help. It
took almost three hours to fly Carey from the scene of the crash to an
ambulance waiting at Whitewater¹s base. He was then transported to
Nelson¹s Kootenay Lake Hospital.

"They did everything they could, everything possible," says Pigeon.
"We¹re very, very sad," she adds. "Carey and his family are great
community members and well liked. Our heartfelt condolences go out to
his wife and daughter." "This touches home so closely when it¹s
somebody we all know," Pigeon says.

Carey, 33, was a husband and father.

"Carey was the true center of the Freeride universe and will be missed
by all," says Freeride owner and founder Derek Westerlund. "None more
then his beautiful wife, Anne, and his 10 month-old baby girl, Noa."

"This has certainly changed a lot of things at our company and in the
action sports community," Westerlund says. "These are difficult times
and we hope that everybody can stick with us in the coming weeks while
we get on top of things and adjust to life without Carey."

Nelson artist and Freeride associate Scott Dickson, who knew Carey for
14 years, says his close friend was a true character.

"A colourful character," Dickson adds, chuckling. "He brought a lot of
personality to his business dealings, and I¹m sure he made a lasting
impression on every guy that talked with him or worked with him."

Originally from Toronto, Carey moved to Nelson from Vancouver in the
summer of 1995. He was a skilled, experienced backcountry skier and
mountain biker, with a renowned penchant for grueling uphills and
hair-raising, no-stop descents.

Carey worked in a number of Nelson¹s outdoor gear shops including
Gericks and The Sacred Ride, before moving to mountain biking
wholesale distributors NRG Enterprises, where he became a fixture in
the Western Canadian adventure-sport retail sector as an NRG sales
rep.

Carey started his new career with Freeride four years ago, where he¹d
excelled as production manager and producer on the company¹s numerous
national and international events, films and TV projects.

"A guy who¹s that much of a man will leave a big space behind. But
you¹ll never forget him because of the guy he was," Dickson says. "He
had a very sweet heart. He loved his wife. And he loved his daughter."

Carey was laid to rest Wednesday, Mar. 1. He was eulogized by long
time friends Mitchell Scott and Mike Seniuk.

For those wanting to make donations in Carey¹s name, there are two
places to forward funds: Donations for his daughter Noa Bokser can be
dropped of or mailed to the CIBC, 459 Baker Street, Nelson, B.C,
V1L-4H7. Donations can also be made to the Lion¹s Spray Park by
contacting Rick Crozier at 1-250-352-9771.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> [...]
> excelled as production manager and producer on the company¹s numerous
> national and international events, films and TV projects.
>

> "A guy who¹s that much of a man will leave a big space behind. But
> you¹ll never forget him because of the guy he was," Dickson says. "He
> had a very sweet heart. He loved his wife. And he loved his daughter."
>

> Carey was laid to rest Wednesday, Mar. 1. He was eulogized by long
> time friends Mitchell Scott and Mike Seniuk.
>

> For those wanting to make donations in Carey¹s name, there are two
> places to forward funds: Donations for his daughter Noa Bokser can be
> dropped of or mailed to the CIBC, 459 Baker Street, Nelson, B.C,
> V1L-4H7. Donations can also be made to the Lion¹s Spray Park by
> contacting Rick Crozier at 1-250-352-9771.
> ===
>
> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are

And the point of this post is....?

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:58:58 -0700, "Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>> you¹ll never forget him because of the guy he was," Dickson says. "He
>> had a very sweet heart. He loved his wife. And he loved his daughter."
>>

>> Carey was laid to rest Wednesday, Mar. 1. He was eulogized by long
>> time friends Mitchell Scott and Mike Seniuk.
>>

>> For those wanting to make donations in Carey¹s name, there are two
>> places to forward funds: Donations for his daughter Noa Bokser can be
>> dropped of or mailed to the CIBC, 459 Baker Street, Nelson, B.C,
>> V1L-4H7. Donations can also be made to the Lion¹s Spray Park by
>> contacting Rick Crozier at 1-250-352-9771.
>> ===
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are

Ask your mommy to explain it for you.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

LOL! Mikey you are still the foole eh.

The poor soul should have stayed on his 'mountain bike' where he
obviously has been 'safe' for years instead of skiing eh.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> Freeride Entertainment's Carey Bokser perishes in backcountry
> By Darren Davidson

<snip old story>

> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:58:58 -0700, "Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>And the point of this post is....?
>>

> Ask your mommy to explain it for you.

She said it is fruitless to argue with a fanatic or a lunatic. You are both.
Probably a bit of a fruitcake too, so I suppose fruitless is not literal.

You practice "extreme stupidity" and are a true ground breaker. We can all
only hope that you end up killing yourself in your extreme pursuit, and then
we can have a year long celebration on usenet!

"Ding, Dong, the twit is gone!!!!" ....

Ok, there's the first line to the official "MV is Dead" song, sung in unison
when you finally get eaten by a bear due to your extreme stupidity. Anyone
care to add to it?

Do you get an erection when you post this kind of stuff, Mikey?

And what does your family think about your obsessions? Do they think you're
a "brave environmental warrior"? Or, (as seems much more likely) have they
recommended you seek treatment for mental illness?

GG

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:52:06 -0800, "GaryG" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>Do you get an erection when you post this kind of stuff, Mikey?
>
>And what does your family think about your obsessions? Do they think you're
>a "brave environmental warrior"? Or, (as seems much more likely) have they
>recommended you seek treatment for mental illness?
>
>GG

Hmmm. I wonder who is crazier -- those who practice extremely
destructive activities, or those who oppose them? Isn't it obvious?
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman wrote:

Drivel, repetitious hogwash - oh! I repeat myself as does the great MV!

Away three months & the same old same old same old . . . .

Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus wrote:
> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:58:58 -0700, "Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> And the point of this post is....?
>>>

>> Ask your mommy to explain it for you.

> She said it is fruitless to argue with a fanatic or a lunatic. You are both.
> Probably a bit of a fruitcake too, so I suppose fruitless is not literal.
>
> You practice "extreme stupidity" and are a true ground breaker. We can all
> only hope that you end up killing yourself in your extreme pursuit, and then
> we can have a year long celebration on usenet!
>
> "Ding, Dong, the twit is gone!!!!" ....

Crack a brew, get out the bong ...

pmh wrote:
> Mike Vandeman wrote:
>
> Drivel, repetitious hogwash - oh! I repeat myself as does the great MV!
>
> Away three months & the same old same old same old . . . .

LOL! Months????

Man he has been on the same soapbox since he got let out of the asylum
years ago. He got soo stoned back in the psychedelic days he forgot to
come down so they finally let him out figuring he was basically harmless...

Mike

On 20 Jan 2007 20:33:21 -0800, "pmh" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>
>Drivel, repetitious hogwash - oh! I repeat myself as does the great MV!
>
>Away three months & the same old same old same old . . . .

People who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. I guess
mountain bikers are hopeless.
===

Mike Romain wrote:
> pmh wrote:
> > Mike Vandeman wrote:
> >
> > Drivel, repetitious hogwash - oh! I repeat myself as does the great MV!
> >
> > Away three months & the same old same old same old . . . .

> LOL! Months????

Oh, I know, he's been this word-for-word idiot since I first discovered
this NG several years ago. For various reasons I'm absent for several
weeks or so, it's been more than once, but there's no change. And he
still tries to imply that I'm a mountain biker when I've repeatedly
stated I do not even know any muontain bikers at all.

And that "pure habitat" psychosis . . . . now joined by the cell phone
psychosis . . . . .

Mild-to-slow entertainment on an otherwise blustry winter's day. These
threads have always been full of sound & fury signifying nothing, but
it's too cold & windy outside just now. I'l take whatever amusement may
be had from the same old same old same old.

> On 20 Jan 2007 20:33:21 -0800, "pmh" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>>
>>Drivel, repetitious hogwash - oh! I repeat myself as does the great MV!
>>
>>Away three months & the same old same old same old . . . .

> People who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. I guess
> mountain bikers are hopeless.

And I guess that is why you keep repeating it.

It surely sucks to be you.

Gosh, should anybody be surprised that the poor ******* died doing something
other than biking?

Maybe if he stuck to riding his bike, he would be with us today.

It pains me to put in the luimp with morons because morons look intelligent
when compared to you. Jeez, Mike, this is a new low. Just when I thought
there were no new lows ...

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 00:54:54 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Gosh, should anybody be surprised that the poor ******* died doing something
>other than biking?

It proves that mountain bikers have no sense whatsoever. They are
their own worst enemies.

>Maybe if he stuck to riding his bike, he would be with us today.
>
>It pains me to put in the luimp with morons because morons look intelligent
>when compared to you. Jeez, Mike, this is a new low. Just when I thought
>there were no new lows ...

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 00:54:54 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Gosh, should anybody be surprised that the poor ******* died doing
>>something
>>other than biking?

> It proves that mountain bikers have no sense whatsoever. They are
> their own worst enemies.

It proves nothing of the sort. What it proves is, you are an idiot.

S Curtiss wrote:
> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 00:54:54 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

He's perpetually on about the "pure habitat" psychosis & now has added
the cell phone psychosis. Other than adding a psychosis here or there,
he hasn't changed in years. That should tell the tale.

PH

> On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:52:06 -0800, "GaryG" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >
> >Do you get an erection when you post this kind of stuff, Mikey?
> >
> >And what does your family think about your obsessions? Do they think

you're
> >a "brave environmental warrior"? Or, (as seems much more likely) have

they
> >recommended you seek treatment for mental illness?
> >
> >GG

> Hmmm. I wonder who is crazier -- those who practice extremely
> destructive activities, or those who oppose them? Isn't it obvious?

Your failure to address these simple questions speaks volumes about your
mental state, Mikey. What a sad, sick, lonely life you lead.

BTW - when was the last time you had sex (solo masturbation excluded)?

GG

> ===
>
> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are

fond of!

> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus wrote:
> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

<snip>

>>Carey Bokser, senior production manager for Freeride Entertainment,
>>perished after a fall during a ski touring accident. The accident
>>happened shortly before 11:00 a.m., Saturday, Feb. 25, on a day marked
>>by mostly blue skies and great backcountry skiing following three days
>>of snowfall.
>>

>>According to a Whitewater spokesperson, Carey and another skier were
>>beginning their descent on an expert out-of-bounds slope known as the
>>Hummer Face, above the resort¹s boundaries. Carey¹s ski caught on a
>>rock. He fell and tumbled down a cliff face. He died at the scene.
>>

> And the point of this post is....?

I think Mike wants us all to be careful while skiing so we can live to
ride our mountain bikes another day. Thanks Mike!

Matt (will take extra care, I promise!)