Another Mountain Biker Killed Practicing another Extreme Sport

Mike Vandeman wrote:

> The mountain bikers wish I would shut up, so that, I guess, MORE
> people will fooloshly kill themselves. Obviously, they don't care
> about their own peers. They have done NOTHING to prevent deaths like
> this. And they want to clainm that I'M the one who's callous?! Just
> the opposite is true.....

A short life ended doing something you enjoy is infinitely better than a
long life ended having not for fear of injury. We do care about our peers,
we simply understand and respect their choice to find their thrills in a
way that may destroy them eventually, as they take that decision in full
understanding of the risks. Just because you cannot understand it does not
make it wrong, merely someone who gets their thrills another way -
apparently by posting up the deaths of other people. I know which Id be
more worried about if I were your shrink.

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:48:07 +0000, Coyoteboy
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>

>> The mountain bikers wish I would shut up, so that, I guess, MORE
>> people will fooloshly kill themselves. Obviously, they don't care
>> about their own peers. They have done NOTHING to prevent deaths like
>> this. And they want to clainm that I'M the one who's callous?! Just
>> the opposite is true.....

>A short life ended doing something you enjoy is infinitely better than a
>long life ended having not for fear of injury.

Really? What's "better" about preventable deaths?

We do care about our peers,
>we simply understand and respect their choice to find their thrills in a
>way that may destroy them eventually, as they take that decision in full
>understanding of the risks. Just because you cannot understand it does not
>make it wrong, merely someone who gets their thrills another way -
>apparently by posting up the deaths of other people. I know which Id be
>more worried about if I were your shrink.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman wrote:

> Really? What's "better" about preventable deaths?

Yet again you miss the point, let me explain; We all die, at least if you
die while doing something you enjoy and accept is a risk you are making the
most of the life you've got. If you sit of the sofa and dont do anything
thats exciting due to it being dangerous you might live until you're 100
but by God you'll be a dull person. Its personal choice, but I always
follow the "its better to burn out than fade away" train of thought.

On Jan 23, 8:16 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> Then how do you explain what he was doing?

The article straightforwardly says he was ski touring.

-Beej

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:46:13 +0000, Coyoteboy
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>
>> Really? What's "better" about preventable deaths?

>Yet again you miss the point, let me explain; We all die, at least if you
>die while doing something you enjoy and accept is a risk you are making the
>most of the life you've got. If you sit of the sofa and dont do anything
>thats exciting due to it being dangerous you might live until you're 100
>but by God you'll be a dull person. Its personal choice, but I always
>follow the "its better to burn out than fade away" train of thought.

Then do it without hurting any people or wildlife. Otherwise it's
SELFISH.
===

On 23 Jan 2007 12:24:15 -0800, "Beej" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Jan 23, 8:16 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Then how do you explain what he was doing?

>The article straightforwardly says he was ski touring.

Right, where it wasn't allowed. Read it again.

>-Beej

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman mumbled incoherently to the rest of alt.mountain-bike:
> Then do it without hurting any people or wildlife. Otherwise it's
> SELFISH.

Lost the argument, changed the subject. Classic MV :)

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2007 12:24:15 -0800, "Beej" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 23, 8:16 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Then how do you explain what he was doing?

>> The article straightforwardly says he was ski touring.

> Right, where it wasn't allowed. Read it again.

Mike, we all know you're talking out of your ass. It was not illegal.

> On 23 Jan 2007 12:24:15 -0800, "Beej" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Jan 23, 8:16 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Then how do you explain what he was doing?

>>The article straightforwardly says he was ski touring.

> Right, where it wasn't allowed. Read it again.

YOU read it again - After all, you posted it.

MV: "Out of bounds != illegal, moron."

Wrong! Again applying your experience (or lack of) to activities you do not
understand.
Quote from the article: "their descent on an expert out-of-bounds slope
known as the Hummer Face"
Note the use of the term "expert". This is a skiable area for experts only
outside of the normal boundaries of the area. It is not "illegal" but an
"expert area".
YOU are the MORON for not READING what you post.
And you still have NOT answered the following -

"What of the accidents involving non-cyclists? Your post of nearly a year
old story concerning the death of someone skiing is callous and meaningless
beyond your own bias.
Where is the comparison of all injuries of skiers and their backgrounds?
Without that, you can make no link of mountain bikers involvement being any
more valid as a variable of cause.
By your logic, politicians do not care about their peers or killing
themselves since Sonny Bono died skiing.
Perhaps real numbers interest you:
"According to the National Ski Area Association (NSAA), 36 people died as a
result of ski related injuries last year, compared to an average of 89
lightning strike deaths."
This is from a '90s report but still relevant. Can you show that all 36
people were mountain bikers? What of the lightning strikes...? Were they all
mountain bikers, too?"

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:02:58 -0500, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>>>The article straightforwardly says he was ski touring.

>> Right, where it wasn't allowed. Read it again.
>>

>YOU read it again - After all, you posted it.
>
>MV: "Out of bounds != illegal, moron."
>
>Wrong! Again applying your experience (or lack of) to activities you do not
>understand.
>Quote from the article: "their descent on an expert out-of-bounds slope
>known as the Hummer Face"
>Note the use of the term "expert". This is a skiable area for experts only
>outside of the normal boundaries of the area. It is not "illegal" but an
>"expert area".

He obviously wasn't an expert, or he wouldn't be dead. So he was where
he didn't belong -- NOTHING NEW FOR A MOUNTAIN BIKER!

>YOU are the MORON for not READING what you post.
>And you still have NOT answered the following -
>>

>"What of the accidents involving non-cyclists? Your post of nearly a year
>old story concerning the death of someone skiing is callous and meaningless
>beyond your own bias.
>Where is the comparison of all injuries of skiers and their backgrounds?
>Without that, you can make no link of mountain bikers involvement being any
>more valid as a variable of cause.
>By your logic, politicians do not care about their peers or killing
>themselves since Sonny Bono died skiing.
>Perhaps real numbers interest you:
>"According to the National Ski Area Association (NSAA), 36 people died as a
>result of ski related injuries last year, compared to an average of 89
>lightning strike deaths."
>This is from a '90s report but still relevant. Can you show that all 36
>people were mountain bikers? What of the lightning strikes...? Were they all
>mountain bikers, too?"

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

news:p[email protected]...
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:02:58 -0500, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> Right, where it wasn't allowed. Read it again.
>>>

>>YOU read it again - After all, you posted it.
>>
>>MV: "Out of bounds != illegal, moron."
>>
>>Wrong! Again applying your experience (or lack of) to activities you do
>>not
>>understand.
>>Quote from the article: "their descent on an expert out-of-bounds slope
>>known as the Hummer Face"
>>Note the use of the term "expert". This is a skiable area for experts only
>>outside of the normal boundaries of the area. It is not "illegal" but an
>>"expert area".

> He obviously wasn't an expert, or he wouldn't be dead. So he was where
> he didn't belong -- NOTHING NEW FOR A MOUNTAIN BIKER!

From the piece YOU posted:
"Originally from Toronto, Carey moved to Nelson from Vancouver in the
summer of 1995. He was a skilled, experienced backcountry skier..."
The piece also states his ski caught on a rock. Not uncommon, but the
beginning of an unfortunate accident. Only you could take joy in it.
And when will you address the points below? You can't because you are a
coward and simpleton when faced with real information or a challenge to
actually back with fact the statements you make. The proof is here and in
10+ years of usenet which a simple "vandeman" search of usenet will testify.

On Jan 26, 8:30 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> Right, where it wasn't allowed.

"Allowed"? What happened to "illegal"? Don't back down now! You're
on the verge of claiming that all backcountry skiing is against the
law!

And it would rock if you did that.

-Beej