Another murder!

G

JOHANNESBURG
Teenager shot for his bicycle
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2002

A young Brakpan cyclist was in a critical condition in a Johannesburg clinic after he was shot and robbed of his racing bicycle during a training session on Wednesday morning, police reported.

East Rand police spokesperson Superintendent Andy Pieke said a passerby found 17-year-old Johan Jacobs lying next to the road in Minnebron Extension around 6am.

He had been shot twice in the back and his bicycle — valued at about R30 000 — was missing.

Jacobs had been training with a friend and was presumably returning home when he was attacked from behind, Pieke said.

He also said a reward could be issued for information leading to the arrest of the suspects.

Sapa

G

man thats terrible i hope he recovers
does that happen often over there?

G

JOHANNESBURG
Teenage cyclist's condition still critical
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2002

A young Brakpan cyclist who was shot and left for dead on Wednesday was still in a critical condition last night.

A Johannesburg Milpark Hospital spokesperson said 17-year-old Johan Jacobs had spent most of Thursday afternoon undergoing major surgery to repair damage to his bladder, stomach and pelvis.

A passing motorist found Jacobs lying naked and unconscious next to a road in Minnebron Extension around 6am on Wednesday.

He had been robbed of his racing bicycle, worth around R30 000, and stripped of all his clothes, including his shoes.

Jacobs, a matric pupil, had been training to take part in a church charity race and planned to cycle to Cape Town with a group of his friends during the school holiday as part of the fundraising drive.

Vo2

Aug 11, 2001
Goat and I rode past the Minnebron area today on one of our training rides, we were pretty wary.
Hope Johan recovers soon.

G

Fortunately this (by the grace of God) was an "attempted" rather than an actual murder. These things are happening more frequently and this one now doesn't even rate a mention in the Sunday paper! Just another statistic.

G

These things are happening more frequently and this one now doesn't even rate a mention in the Sunday paper! Just another statistic.

Is it really that bad over there?

Eldron

Jan 24, 2002
Chris....

What can I say? Crime is a problem - for whatever political/historical reasons. It's not quite as bad as the media try to make out (I've never had any problems in 29 years of riding) - but it is a concern.

I think the problem is this - we have millions of uneducated people and there is easy access to guns in SA. A nasty (and dangerous) combination.

ewep

Jan 31, 2002
I hope Johan recovers quickly. I've not had problems on the road before, but usually I travel on "busy" roads (lots of cyclists). The problem with this is that a lot of people will now get scared and not take part in this great sport.