Another murder!

G

JOHANNESBURG
Teenager shot for his bicycle
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2002

A young Brakpan cyclist was in a critical condition in a Johannesburg clinic after he was shot and robbed of his racing bicycle during a training session on Wednesday morning, police reported.

East Rand police spokesperson Superintendent Andy Pieke said a passerby found 17-year-old Johan Jacobs lying next to the road in Minnebron Extension around 6am.

He had been shot twice in the back and his bicycle — valued at about R30 000 — was missing.

Jacobs had been training with a friend and was presumably returning home when he was attacked from behind, Pieke said.

He also said a reward could be issued for information leading to the arrest of the suspects.

Sapa

man thats terrible i hope he recovers
does that happen often over there?

JOHANNESBURG
Teenage cyclist's condition still critical
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2002

A young Brakpan cyclist who was shot and left for dead on Wednesday was still in a critical condition last night.

A Johannesburg Milpark Hospital spokesperson said 17-year-old Johan Jacobs had spent most of Thursday afternoon undergoing major surgery to repair damage to his bladder, stomach and pelvis.

A passing motorist found Jacobs lying naked and unconscious next to a road in Minnebron Extension around 6am on Wednesday.

He had been robbed of his racing bicycle, worth around R30 000, and stripped of all his clothes, including his shoes.

Jacobs, a matric pupil, had been training to take part in a church charity race and planned to cycle to Cape Town with a group of his friends during the school holiday as part of the fundraising drive.

Goat and I rode past the Minnebron area today on one of our training rides, we were pretty wary.
Hope Johan recovers soon.

Fortunately this (by the grace of God) was an "attempted" rather than an actual murder. These things are happening more frequently and this one now doesn't even rate a mention in the Sunday paper! Just another statistic.

These things are happening more frequently and this one now doesn't even rate a mention in the Sunday paper! Just another statistic.

Is it really that bad over there?

Chris....

What can I say? Crime is a problem - for whatever political/historical reasons. It's not quite as bad as the media try to make out (I've never had any problems in 29 years of riding) - but it is a concern.

I think the problem is this - we have millions of uneducated people and there is easy access to guns in SA. A nasty (and dangerous) combination.

I hope Johan recovers quickly. I've not had problems on the road before, but usually I travel on "busy" roads (lots of cyclists). The problem with this is that a lot of people will now get scared and not take part in this great sport.