ANOTHER new cyclist seeking advice!

volfro

Jul 30, 2006
Hello everybody!

I see these forums are rife with newbies looking for tips. Hopefully at some point I can dispense advice, but for now I'm seeking it.

I used to run regularly, but have recently become interested in biking, as running began hurting my knees in the last year or so--not a good sign at all, for a healthy 22-year-old guy.

Thing is, though, that as I read more and more about bicycling, the more fascinated I become and the more I want to be a part of it.

So I'm looking for a road bike. There aren't all that many offroad trails near my home, so for the sake of practicality, a road bike it is.

I'm 5' 10" and 165 lbs, so I guess I'm pretty average when it comes to build.

I'm a student, so the budget is relatively small: I'd prefer to spend less than $500.

My real question is this: I see road bikes on craigslist in my area (near Atlanta, GA, USA) quite frequently, many of which are within my budget constraints, but I don't know enough to judge whether I should be buying. What's the general consensus here when it comes to used bikes? I don't want the most up-to-date or lightweight bike around; I just want something that can get me into the sport and still be of relatively high quality, even if it's a few years (and miles) old.

While we're at it, are there any recommendations for new bikes in that price/size range? Or, for that matter, is anybody here interested in selling their used bike?

I've yet to talk to my LBS--there are several--but I found this first and am eager to gather more knowledge on the subject.

Last question: the beginner's guide here on the forums is incomplete, as far as I could find...does anybody here know of a good beginner's guide that I can read? Or any road cycling guide, for that matter.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help!!

Alrighty folks, went to my LBS today and asked around.

Apparently, they don't have any new road bikes within my budget, so it looks like used is the way to go.

The person I spoke with said I'd probably be best with a 54 to 56 cm frame--probably 54--and that's a good starting point, as far as I'm concerned.

He also said that if I were to get a used bike I could just take it there to get it tuned up and everything, which I'm okay with--heck, I'm even willing to get my own hands dirty and fix it up myself. I work on my own car, why not my own bicycle?

So, question: anybody here have any older road bikes that they'd recommend for a beginner? Any particular brand/model?

i think that to enjoy cycling if your going to committ to it definately spend a little more than that otherwise i think youll sacrifice potential joy because of subgrade equip..

if not try a cycling club but overall i think your aiming a little low

I'm not necessarily married to the $500 mark...in fact, I fully expect to pay more than that in total, with equipment and all.

However, I'm looking for something of nice quality that's got a few miles on it. That's the idea behind getting a used bike--something that's a good quality bike that somebody else has used for a bit, dropping its value to within my price range, but not compromising its actual quality.

Is that not how the bicycle market works? That's how I buy other vehicles, so why not a bike?

I'm willing and able to learn to repair it myself, so buying something that needs a little work won't be a problem.

When I find a bike I'm interested in I'll post it here to get some opinions.

Very soon (if not already) the 2007 will be in shops. You might be able to get a good deal on a 2006 model....

L

Lonnie Utah said:
Very soon (if not already) the 2007 will be in shops. You might be able to get a good deal on a 2006 model....

L
That was the other option I considered. Any good online stores for late model road bikes?

I don't know any (I'm in OZ), but I have experienced the price drop of 06 models when in LBS's. I was shown a FUJI Team 06 that was reduced by $1000 juz coz the 07 was coming out.
I'm in the market for a road (coming from a MTB on the road). So I think I'll look out for 06 models when I decide......
Good Luck with the search!

clack3rz said:
I don't know any (I'm in OZ), but I have experienced the price drop of 06 models when in LBS's. I was shown a FUJI Team 06 that was reduced by $1000 juz coz the 07 was coming out.
I'm in the market for a road (coming from a MTB on the road). So I think I'll look out for 06 models when I decide......
Good Luck with the search!
Yeah, I'll have to keep shopping at my LBSs. There are several within decent driving distance. The one I checked initially was pretty cool--Free Flite bicycles is the name of it. For anybody seeking information on riding, repair, or anything biking, really (even how to ward off bears on a trail!), their FAQ section is invaluable. If you mouse-over the "Helpful Tips" menu entry on the left of the page, you'll see all their help sections. Really, really useful stuff.

I'll keep lookin'. Thanks for the tip.

I think what Volfro (and a lot of us newbies as well) are asking is 'is there much depreciation in the used bike market?' For example, bike "A" sold in 2003 for $2000.00. What's it worth now? $1800? $1400? $1000? $600?

Or is it even possible to assign a value to a used bike? Are there too many other paramaters?

Automobiles have the Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds guides, etc. Is there anything that resembles that in the bicycle world?

Thanks,

Tom

Used bikes are not at all like used automobiles. People generally do not trade in a bike for a new model every few years. The frames last forever, so if someone has a frame they like, he is more likely to upgrade and replace components and keep the frame. There ae used bikes available, usually because people quit riding or they move up to a diferent level of frame, but there is not nearly the selection of used bikes as there are used automobiles. There are not enough used bikes on the market to have anything like a Kelly's Blue Book. Also, there can be a wide difference in the condition of the bikes which would have a major effect on the value.

Another difference between bikes and automobiles is that with the bike, fit is everything. When you buy a new bike, you have a choice of four to eight frame sizes for each model. Then, the shop will further customize the bike by replacing stems, crank arms, and saddles to fit the individual. When you go to buy a used bike, the seller has the one bike available. If it fits you, that is great, but the chances that you will be the same size - not just height, but body proportion - as the seller is slim. If you find the right frame size, you could have your LBS replace the stem, crank, and saddle, but you would be spending more money on those. If you are not experienced, then it is difficult to know what is the right frame size for you.

One of the best sources for quality used bikes is through local cycling clubs. Members do upgrade their rides and sell off their old bikes. If the club is large enough, eventually you will find one that is right for you. In that situation, you have knowledgable people other than the seller who will be willing to help you decide if that is a good bike for you. You can find good used bikes on e-bay or in second-hand sporting goods shops, but you need to know exactly what you are looking for, including the correct frame size, and you need to hold out enough money to have necessary adjustments made by your LBS.

RickF said:
Used bikes are not at all like used automobiles. People generally do not trade in a bike for a new model every few years. The frames last forever, so if someone has a frame they like, he is more likely to upgrade and replace components and keep the frame. There ae used bikes available, usually because people quit riding or they move up to a diferent level of frame, but there is not nearly the selection of used bikes as there are used automobiles. There are not enough used bikes on the market to have anything like a Kelly's Blue Book. Also, there can be a wide difference in the condition of the bikes which would have a major effect on the value.

Another difference between bikes and automobiles is that with the bike, fit is everything. When you buy a new bike, you have a choice of four to eight frame sizes for each model. Then, the shop will further customize the bike by replacing stems, crank arms, and saddles to fit the individual. When you go to buy a used bike, the seller has the one bike available. If it fits you, that is great, but the chances that you will be the same size - not just height, but body proportion - as the seller is slim. If you find the right frame size, you could have your LBS replace the stem, crank, and saddle, but you would be spending more money on those. If you are not experienced, then it is difficult to know what is the right frame size for you.

One of the best sources for quality used bikes is through local cycling clubs. Members do upgrade their rides and sell off their old bikes. If the club is large enough, eventually you will find one that is right for you. In that situation, you have knowledgable people other than the seller who will be willing to help you decide if that is a good bike for you. You can find good used bikes on e-bay or in second-hand sporting goods shops, but you need to know exactly what you are looking for, including the correct frame size, and you need to hold out enough money to have necessary adjustments made by your LBS.

EXCELLENT post, Rick. That makes SO much sense!!

You may have saved me $600 of unnecessary spending.

That should be required reading for all newbies trying to get into (or back into) cycling.

Thanks again,

Tom

That really is an awesome post. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Yes, I was under the impression that there are lots of enthusaists/professionals who think it necessary to upgrade to the latest and greatest every year or three, casting off their older used (but still excellent) bikes in the process. Hadn't even thought of a club as being a place to find the hand-me-downs.

That was the other thing--one of the LBS people I talked to said that if I were to buy a used bike, I'd just be inheriting somebody else's problems, so I might as well just buy new. Apparently the guy's an experienced bike mechanic. I could see where he's coming from, but if you can just replace the components--which I can learn to do myself, I'm not afraid of screwing up a used (and therefore cheap) bicycle--and upgrade them as needed, what problems are you inheriting, really?

Eventually, once I'm better and more experienced, it will make sense to spend more money on a new bike, and I'll do it; but for now, I'm just looking to get back into shape, not spend a grand in the process. I need a beater, something I can learn on, and something that I'm not afraid to take apart or drop or adjust or whatever.

volfro said:
That was the other thing--one of the LBS people I talked to said that if I were to buy a used bike, I'd just be inheriting somebody else's problems, so I might as well just buy new. Apparently the guy's an experienced bike mechanic. I could see where he's coming from, but if you can just replace the components--which I can learn to do myself, I'm not afraid of screwing up a used (and therefore cheap) bicycle--and upgrade them as needed, what problems are you inheriting, really?
The problem with this approach is that replacing the components can be more expensive than buying a new bike. The manufacturers buy the components from Shimano or Campagnolo for far less than your LBS or you can buy them. It is similar to the situation with computer software. You can buy a computer with the software already installed for far less than you could buy a used computer, add more memory, add a larger hard drive, buy the latest software, etc.

If you can find a good used bike that fits you and is functional, you could upgrade one component at a time over a period of time and ultimately end up with what you want. You will pay more in the long run, but you will have a functional bike the whole time without a tremendous outlay up front. The main thing, though, is to be sure the bike fits you or can be modified to fit you for a small cost, like putting on a longer or shorter stem.

If your goal is to get a bike that may not be exactly what you want, but that is the only way you can have a bike now, then that might be the only way to go. You could upgrade over time as your budget allows. If, on the other hand, you are planning to buy a used bike and upgrade it right away, then it usually would be less expensive to go ahead and buy a new bike. New frames from Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, and Giant (and probably others - check with your LBS) come with a lifetime warranty for the original owner. You get no warranty when you buy a used frame.

I would think something like a Trek 1000 or 1200, or a Giant OCR 2 or 3 can be found used in your price range. Or even a 2005 that an LBS might have lying around. These are entry level road bikes that have decent components.