General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Another new (to me) cereal

Started by Pat · · Last activity · 4 posts · 336 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 July 2007
Last activity
13 July 2007
Original author
Pat
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
336
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This one I picked up at COSTCO. It's called Nature's Path Organic Pumpkin
    FlaxPlus granola. It has 20 g carbs per 1/2 cup and 3 g of fiber. Only 5 g
    of sugar.

    Ingredients: organic rolled oats, organic evaporated cane juice, organic
    soy oil, organic brown rice flour, organic pumpkin seeds, organic flaxseeds,
    organic molasses, organic rice bran extract, organic cinnamon and 400 mg of
    Omega 3's.

    Oh, and it's kosher. I haven't tried it yet.

    Pat in TX

  2. Pat,

    You are fairly new to low-carbing, right? How carbs are you allowing
    yourself per day or week? IOW, I don't know which plan you are following
    nor how far along you are, but that 1/2 cup cereal is 17g-net, just by
    itself.

    I asked about the 'per week' number, because I seem to remember Atkins (or
    other here) say you can save-up some carbs to have a more carby meal once or
    twice a week.

    So if the cereal fits your plan, whatever, GREAT! But for myself, I see
    'cane juice' in the top 3 and it's a no go. (Not to mention the molasses...)

    OR the cereal would have to have a lot more fiber (lower net).

    I wish nutrition labels would get on the bandwagon and indicate the glycemic
    'index' or 'load', or whatever that might be a better indicator of how it
    will really affect the body/BG. maybe someday.

    LOL. Good luck with that cereal.

    Steve

    "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This one I picked up at COSTCO. It's called Nature's Path Organic Pumpkin
    FlaxPlus granola. It has 20 g carbs per 1/2 cup and 3 g of fiber. Only 5 g
    of sugar.

    Ingredients: organic rolled oats, organic evaporated cane juice, organic
    soy oil, organic brown rice flour, organic pumpkin seeds, organic
    flaxseeds, organic molasses, organic rice bran extract, organic cinnamon
    and 400 mg of Omega 3's.

    Oh, and it's kosher. I haven't tried it yet.

    Pat in TX


  3. Quoted message said:

    Pat,

    You are fairly new to low-carbing, right? How carbs are you allowing
    yourself per day or week? IOW, I don't know which plan you are following
    nor how far along you are, but that 1/2 cup cereal is 17g-net, just by
    itself.

    Oh no, I'm not new. I lost 54 pounds and now I'm on "maintenance." I like
    cereal for breakfast because it mainly gets the fiber requirement out of the
    way. I fill up a bowl halfway with Fiber 1 and then add other things to that
    for taste. I have been using soy milk (light), too.

    Thanks for the concern, though.

    Pat in TX

  4. Scionyx said:

    Pat,

    You are fairly new to low-carbing, right? How carbs are you allowing
    yourself per day or week? IOW, I don't know which plan you are following
    nor how far along you are, but that 1/2 cup cereal is 17g-net, just by
    itself.

    I asked about the 'per week' number, because I seem to remember Atkins (or
    other here) say you can save-up some carbs to have a more carby meal once or
    twice a week.

    So if the cereal fits your plan, whatever, GREAT! But for myself, I see
    'cane juice' in the top 3 and it's a no go. (Not to mention the molasses...)

    OR the cereal would have to have a lot more fiber (lower net).

    I wish nutrition labels would get on the bandwagon and indicate the glycemic
    'index' or 'load', or whatever that might be a better indicator of how it
    will really affect the body/BG. maybe someday.

    LOL. Good luck with that cereal.

    Steve

    "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This one I picked up at COSTCO. It's called Nature's Path Organic Pumpkin
    FlaxPlus granola. It has 20 g carbs per 1/2 cup and 3 g of fiber. Only 5 g
    of sugar.

    Quoted message said:

    Ingredients: organic rolled oats, organic evaporated cane juice, organic
    soy oil, organic brown rice flour, organic pumpkin seeds, organic
    flaxseeds, organic molasses, organic rice bran extract, organic cinnamon
    and 400 mg of Omega 3's.

    Quoted message said:

    Oh, and it's kosher. I haven't tried it yet.

    Quoted message said:

    Pat in TX- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

    - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

    I probably would not have bought this product either becaue the second
    ingredient is sugar. I agree completely with the idea that the
    glycemic index should be listed on the product. Anyway, I am glad to
    see that more and more people are becoming "enlighten" about carbs.
    Too bad that there are a lot of dieticians who don't know believe in
    the benefits of a low carb diet.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.