Another newbie buying advice needed.

chipdouglas

Jul 10, 2006
Hi all, I'm new on here--I have to say forums are great places, whatever the topic being discussed.

I want to buy a bike and a good one--I'm bing on overall quality whatever it may be i.e. bike, cars, home appliance etc...

In my home town there are many cycling shops, and I've visited two of them so far. One mainly holds Rocky Mountain, and the next primarily Gary Fisher's. I don't need a mountain bike, as I'm more into road cycling than the former, but still, I need one that can go both ways--thus I clearly need a hybrid.

I have a budget of a 1K to go on a bike (keep in mind it is Canadian funds). I'Ve been told not to buy Louis Garneau bikes, owing to his changing subcontractor on a yearly basis. In fact the first bike shop clerk to speak with me told me : Buy anything but Louis Garneau. I'm not at all into any one speficic brand so it's not a problem.

Which between Rocky mountain, and Gary Fisher wil provide better overall quaity ?

Which between Gary Fisher and Rocky Mountain will prove to be the most reliable long term ?

Which among the above two has the most durable parts ?

Are there other brands out there I should consider, or there comes a stage where it has to do with individual tastes ? I mean, I've always been told that one gets what he pays for, so I'd tend to assumer that most $1000 + bikes are all quality bikes--but correct me if mistaken.

I'm looking for a hybrid bike on a 1K budget (maybe a little more if need be) that will provide me with the greatest reliability and durability of parts.

That said, I'll greatly appreciate your inputs.

Best regards & thanks

$1000 Canadian will get you a very nice hybrid. Other brands you should consider are the Specialized Crossroads and the Trek 7x00 series. Giant and Cannondale have good hybids, too, but I am not familiar with the specific models.

If you want something closer to a mountain bike, but still in the hybrid range, then the Specialized Expedition or the Trek Navigator might be worth a look.

For durability in a hybrid, what's my best option in frames ? Steel or aluminum ? It seems steel outlast either aluminum and carbon fiber, and maybe titanium too.

Thanks for your input, I sure appreciate it.

chipdouglas said:
For durability in a hybrid, what's my best option in frames ? Steel or aluminum ? It seems steel outlast either aluminum and carbon fiber, and maybe titanium too.

In theory, steel should outlast aluminum or carbon fiber, assuming you protect the steel from rusting, but in reality, steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber all will outlast you. I have an aluminum 2004 Specialized Crossroads Elite. I weighed 265 pounds when I bought the bike. I am down to 205 pounds, and the bike still is in perfect shape. In your price range, I think you should be looking at an aluminum frame.

chipdouglas said:
Which among the above two has the most durable parts ?
I did not comment on this eariler, but in your price range, the "parts" are probably made by one of two companies - SRAM or Shimano. Both are extremely reliable. It comes down to which you like better. SRAM has a grip shifter, where you shift by twisting the handel bar grip. Shimano has a rapid fire triger shifter. I prefer the Shimano, but my wife and daughter prefer the SRAM. Both work well.

The best advice is to try as many bikes as you can, and find a local bike shop (LBS) that treats you well and provides good service. There is very little diference in quality or reliability among the bikes in a given price range. The differences that do exist are a matter of personal preference, so get the one that you like best.

Gee thanks heaps for such a prompt and detailled reply :) It confirms what I thought was the case, but it's good to hear it from someone from this forum.

I'll be sharking stores now :D

Thanks again

Buy a road bike and a mountain bike. In the end, if you'll probably end up getting one of each anyway. Unless you're a more casual cyclist the hybrids suffer from weaknesses that make them less than road bikes or mountain bikes. Don't be ashamed of owning more than one bike. I've got friends who have accumulated about six or seven over the years. I've got four. I know you mentioned budget so for now get the road bike. Later, get the full suspension, disc brake, super light mountain bike.
Don't get wrapped up in differing brands, they are all just frame manufacturers that equip the bikes with varying qualities of shimano or the aforementioned sram. I think it is hard to find crappy bikes today. The overall quality of most brands seems quite high.

Thanks for your input Park.

I was shown Gary Fisher Utopia today--it's got a front suspension and disc brakes, and goes for 1k ($cad). I've noticed that Gary Fisher's bike's welds are reinforced as opposed to other frames I've seen. I visited a bike store today, and that sales person (a guy I've known for some time now) when I asked him about durability and sturdiness of frames, told me that weighing 170 lbs, there's just no way I'm going to wear it out. At the crossbar and handlebars post junction, that's where I noticed there was sort of like an additional metal flap welded under the crossbar, serving as reinforcement--something I've failed to see on other frames. But then, I haven't seen that many frames, and I don't even know whether that reinforcement can really make any difference at all. One told me that a hybrid's life is about 8-10 years--he meant the frame. Titanium is way up there in the price range, so it's out of the question, since I'm only a casual bike rider. However even though casual, I'm still wanting to have above average overall quality/durability in a hybrid.

Are seat suspension something worthwhile ? I'm not too sure whether it's really useful at all--to me it looks more like a trivial add-on, but of course i could be wrong.

Also, should I go with V-brakes or disc brakes ? I admit to being drawn to disc brakes quite a bit.

With regards to the front suspension, some like and some don't--Some tell me, it's heavier (which is true), and will decrease performance to some extent. I'm still in two minds about this issue of front suspension.

Feel free to add more comments, and thanks again.

park said:
Buy a road bike and a mountain bike. In the end, if you'll probably end up getting one of each anyway. Unless you're a more casual cyclist the hybrids suffer from weaknesses that make them less than road bikes or mountain bikes. Don't be ashamed of owning more than one bike. I've got friends who have accumulated about six or seven over the years. I've got four. I know you mentioned budget so for now get the road bike. Later, get the full suspension, disc brake, super light mountain bike.
I agree that eventully many of us end up having more than one bike, but it depends on where and how you ride which bikes you will end up getting. I have no use for a mountain bike, but for much of my riding, a hybrid is the perfect choice. I ride on many unpaved trails that are not suitable to road bikes, but are not so rough that a mountain bike is necessary. I prefer the higher gear ratio of the hybrid to the mountain bike, and while I could not ride on those trails with a 700x23C tire, I do not need the 26x2.0" tires of a mountain bike. The 700x38C tires of my hybrid are perfect for those trails. Yes, hybrids are a compromise between a road bike and a mountain bike, but many of the trails I ride are neither roads nor mountain trails.

I also prefer my hybrid to a road bike for commuting. Again, for this use I do not need anything as heavy or geared as low as a mountain bike, but I prefer the more upright position in traffic, and panniers are more at home on the hybrid than on a road bike. While slower than a road bike, the hybrid is faster than a mountain bike. The wider tires give a more comfortable ride and are more secure on wet roads or over the sand, gravel, and mud that collects on the roads than the skinny tires of the road bike, but again, the mountain bike would be overkill.

For group rides on the road, I much prefer a road bike, but for solo rides or rides on unpaved surfaces, I use my hybrid. At my age, I do not plan to take up stump jumping and rock hopping. I will never give up my hybrid, but I do not need a mountain bike. YMMV

$1000 Canadian will get you a very nice hybrid, but that is at the very bottom for a road bike.

chipdouglas said:
Are seat suspension something worthwhile ? I'm not too sure whether it's really useful at all--to me it looks more like a trivial add-on, but of course i could be wrong.

Also, should I go with V-brakes or disc brakes ? I admit to being drawn to disc brakes quite a bit.

With regards to the front suspension, some like and some don't--Some tell me, it's heavier (which is true), and will decrease performance to some extent. I'm still in two minds about this issue of front suspension.
Whether seat suspension or front suspension are useful depends a lot on the rest of the bike. If the bike has low pressure tires and a steel or carbon fork or if it is a steel frame, then they are not necessary. If the bike is an aluminum frame and has 100 psi tires, then without the seat suspension, you will feel a lot more vibration from the road, which will cause you to fatigue more rapidly. All of the seat suspensions I have seen are adjustable, but many of the fork suspensions are not. Unless your weight matches the setting of the non-adjustable forks, the suspension does you no good. If you are too heavy, you will bottom out the suspension. If you are too light, the suspension will not move at all. I would opt for either an adjustable suspension fork, or a steel fork without suspension. Adjustable suspensions are available in your price range.

Unless you plan to ride in the rain and mud, there is no advantage to disc brakes. They add weight, cost, and maintance problems, but under dry conditions, they do not stop any better than the V brakes. If you will be riding in the rain, the disc brake will perform better than the V brake and might be worth the extra expense and maintenance. If you plan to ride in the mud, then disregard my previous post and get a real mountain bike with disc brakes. The hybrid tires do not shed the mud as well as mountain bike tires, and V brakes do not work well when the rim is coated in mud.

Thank you RickF. The Gary Fisher Utopia bike does have adjustable front suspension and disc brakes. With regards to disc brakes, well, I'm still undecided at this point. I plan to ride my bike mainly on paved roads, and perhaps on occasion on unpaved roads....like on clean biking tracks.

One bike dealer told me the same about disc brakes. In fact what he told me is that for the purpose I want a bike for pyaing anymore than $800 would likely be overkill.

He showed me a Rocky Mountain bike....I think it was the RC-30 or 50...I test drove the bike and really liked it. It's the only place where they offered me to test drive it btw.

Thanks again :D

chipdouglas said:

I have a Trek 7.2 and I really like it a lot. Went on rides above 20 miles and still enjoy the bike.

I finally made a decision, and bought two bikes : one for me and one for my gf.

Mine is a Rocky Mountain RC50 which goes for $1100 cad : http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2006/city/rc-50.aspx

And the girlfriend's is a Rocky Mountain RC30 which goes for $800 cad : http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2006/city/rc-30.aspx

I could have bought the RC70 which goes for $1700 cad : http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2006/city/rc-70.aspx however the owner of the bike shop clearly told me that it was overkill, since I will only ride it moderately to on paved surfaces to get fit. I asked whether it'd be best for me to get disc brakes, and he said that most city and road bikes still have quality V-brakes, and they do a fine job. He could have advised me to get the disc brakes, but he was honest enough to tell me it'd be a luxary at best, given I won't ride a bike loaded with side bags, and also because I'm not a heavy individual.

I think I bought two nice bikes overall.

I thought I'd share it with you.

Hi all,

Yesterday I travelled to a neighboring town and visited another bike shop. The owner holds mainly Cannondale bikes. One bike caught my attention : the Road warrior 800. It's selling price was $1,595 cad. I found the bike to be real nice, however I'll get my Rocky Mountain : RC50 this up coming Wednesday.

Mine is obviously less showy, but I wonder how well it compares with the Cannondale Road Warrior 800 ? Of course mine was sold to me for $1,100 cad, while the Cannondale's goes for 1,595, so obviously there's a difference. However since I'm only going to ride my Rocky Mountain for fitness, I wonder whether I should shell out some more $$$ to get the Rocky Mountain RC70 top-of-the-line ? The RC70 goes for : 1,700 cad. I'm always tempted to get what's highest quality.

Here are the links for the 3 bikes :

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2006/city/rc-70.aspx

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2006/city/rc-50.aspx

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6HR8Y.html

My real question here is : Do I get any noticeable edge ordering either the Cannondale road warrior 800 or the Rocky Mountain RC70 over what I've already ordered : the Rocky Mountain RC50 ?

Thanks