Another newbie looking for advice

ScienciasPreval

May 15, 2011
Hello everyone. I bought an old schwinn road bike off craigslist a few years ago and really enjoyed riding it around until it got stolen :(. I am not looking to get another bike but trying to do a little more research this time and finding out how little I know about cycling and how much there is to know.

I am a 165lb 23 year old male. relatively in shape but a lot more experience with running than cycling. The primary use for the bike will be a daily 1.5 mile commute to school and then back. However, I would like to have something that will be good enough to take on some longer road rides, both by myself and in local events. I would like to use the biking as some good cross training as I get back into running.

Initially I was thinking about going for something in the $200 range off craigslist or a place semi-close that does restorations (http://oldbikesbelong.com/In_Stock.php) but then I considered maybe going for something a little nicer that I may be able to upgrade in the future. I know a lot of people on here have mentioned bikesdirect and I think I might be okay with going with something in the $300-400 range if I would really be getting more out of it. I don't really want to spend much over that because a) I am a poor college student and b) possibility of another theft on campus.

So, any advice on bikes I should get and the upgrades I will probably need to do? I have seen a couple of the bikesdirect bikes mentioned, in other posts, but none of the posts in my price range were recent so I was hoping to get some advice on what the best options were. What really are the differences at the different price points and how much of a difference will that make to a beginning rider?

Thanks a lot, glad to see such an active and helpful community on here, makes things slightly less overwhelming.

P.S. Any suggestions on a good lock? Went with el cheapo Walmart one last time and I will not be making that mistake again.

Originally Posted by ScienciasPreval .

I am a 165lb 23 year old male. relatively in shape but a lot more experience with running than cycling. The primary use for the bike will be a daily 1.5 mile commute to school and then back. However, I would like to have something that will be good enough to take on some longer road rides, both by myself and in local events. I would like to use the biking as some good cross training as I get back into running.

P.S. Any suggestions on a good lock? Went with el cheapo Walmart one last time and I will not be making that mistake again.
for locks the U-LOCK, they ought have a decent parking place for bikes, with a guard near, in Campus, forward that suggestion to your University,
except for triathletes, running and cycling are not so good to mix, (if you train seriously for a running event), if you like some diversity and do sports just for fitness then it is ok,