Another newbie question... (was: Why are expensive bikes better than cheap ones?)

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:17:20 +0000, Paul Boyd
<usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote:

>Ken Aston said the following on 10/11/2006 08:43:
>> That would be great but I just don't have the space to store the bike.
>> I live in a big city, if I want a place to put the extra bike, I have
>> to rent one.

>There's no such thing as not enough space for bikes:
>
>http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/ebaypics/bike_stand.jpg
>
>Which means you *can* buy another bike!!

Nice set up :)

Ever catch yourself on the bars of the Specialized?

Mark Thompson wrote:
>>> Second, as I've pointed out a number of times before, the wheel
>>> which I crashed at 46mph into solid rock last year was an 18 spoke
>>> Mavic Ksyrium. Apart from a dented rim, it is still perfectly true
>>> and in good condition.

>> That one incident doesn't prove low-spoke count wheels are stronger
>> in general, as I think you've agreed before.

> I think he meant strong, not stronger.

I know, I made a mistake with my wording. Sorry about that.

That one incident doesn't prove modern low spoke count wheels are as strong
as conventional wheels with more spokes, in general. Too many complicated
factors to prove anything.

~PB

in message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> Carbon forks are typically stronger and more resilient than any other
>> forks used on road bikes. Strength of the forks is not an issue.

> Crushing resistance will be if trying to clamp something to them.

Indeed. You'd need to use the tapped holes in the drop-out (which the fork
in question has) and the brake-mount bolt (which, again, the fork in
question has).

>> Second, as I've pointed out a number of times before, the wheel which
>> I crashed at 46mph into solid rock last year was an 18 spoke Mavic
>> Ksyrium. Apart from a dented rim, it is still perfectly true and in
>> good condition.

> That one incident doesn't prove low-spoke count wheels are stronger in
> general, as I think you've agreed before.

No, it doesn't. But frankly from my experience I'd rather trust an 18 spoke
Mavic than most 36 spoke jobs. They are very strong and reliable wheels.

;; Conservatives are not necessarily stupid,
;; but most stupid people are conservatives -- J S Mill

Pinky wrote:

> A tail end query what is the Edinburgh "copy" like I am in particularly
> interested in the rain proofness of the "dry sack"
> Next year, with my v small tent, I am starting in Venice and doing a "half"
> of Italy circular tour of about 2000 kms. The trailer beats carrying 4
> panniers and I shall be definitely towing one again -- and almost certainly
> a single wheeled one like the Yak

I bought a Monoporter earlier in the summer and have to say I'm very
impressed. The steering is stiffer but the bike is very stable and you
can corner at speed as if the trailer isn't there. I have been
downhill with a full load of camping gear on board at over 42 mph
without any problems whatsoever.

I didn't bother with the official dry-bag as it costs extra and I
already had something suitable to use instead but it is made by Ortlieb
so should be 100% waterproof.

SW

> No, it doesn't. But frankly from my experience I'd rather trust an 18
> spoke Mavic than most 36 spoke jobs. They are very strong and reliable
> wheels.

Um, surely from your experience you'd rather trust a wheel with built-in
crumple zones? :)

In news:[email protected],
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> scribed:
> in message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> sothach wrote:
>>
>>> I've only seen the Shimano Deore ones on a cross bike I borrowed
>>> once. Who makes decent ones?

>> I've heard good things said of (IIRC) Hope's.

> Hope hydraulics are definitely very nice (if sometimes noisy). I
> didn't know they made mechanicals.

They don't...

--
Dave Larrington
Barley, barley, barley, world cruise. You never see a farmer on

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> scribed:
>> in message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:

>>> I've heard good things said of (IIRC) Hope's.

>> Hope hydraulics are definitely very nice (if sometimes noisy). I
>> didn't know they made mechanicals.

> They don't...

Clearly I didn't RC, in that case. Well, best I can say then is that
I've heard nice things about /some/ mechanical discs, though as before
the caveat that I don't really see the point myself unless you're MTBing
in grit in a budget.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote on 13/11/2006 10:07 +0100:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>> In news:[email protected],
>> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> scribed:
>>> in message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch

>>> Hope hydraulics are definitely very nice (if sometimes noisy). I
>>> didn't know they made mechanicals.

>> They don't...

> Clearly I didn't RC, in that case. Well, best I can say then is that
> I've heard nice things about /some/ mechanical discs, though as before
> the caveat that I don't really see the point myself unless you're MTBing
> in grit in a budget.

The original Hopes were mechanical but if you are offered a pair they
are way way old

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci