Another Newbie seeks mtb advice

uforgot

Sep 27, 2005
Hi, first thanks to everyone. I have learned so much on this board! I currently have a Trek 7.2fx wsd which I love. I use it as a commuter, do some road riding and I like to ride the Katy Trail. (Crushed limestone) so this bike really works for me, the casual biker. I would like to try mountain biking. Oh, I don't want to do any jumps and ride along logs, just ride some trails off road. Nothing extreme.

I've been looking around this forum and other sites. I'm thinking that the hardtail would be a good choice for me. Any suggestions? (Budget is a consideration since I don't know how much I will be doing this, and if I absolutely love it, I'm not opposed to upgrading in a year) So what would be a good entry level bike for me? I'm not really sure what I should be looking for, and I do want to enjoy the ride and not have the bike fall apart in a year.

This bike would be strictly off-road. I am not interested in putting it on the road or paved/gravel bike paths. Thanks in advance!

All the major manufacturers make decent entry level bikes. I would plan on spending $450-$650. Any lower than $450 and its totall and complete ****. $650 would get you a bike that wouldnt need upgrading for a season or two. Check out your LBSs, and try all the brands, the geometry is different for each brand, and you will likely like one more than the others.

uforgot said:
Hi, first thanks to everyone. I have learned so much on this board! I currently have a Trek 7.2fx wsd which I love. I use it as a commuter, do some road riding and I like to ride the Katy Trail. (Crushed limestone) so this bike really works for me, the casual biker. I would like to try mountain biking. Oh, I don't want to do any jumps and ride along logs, just ride some trails off road. Nothing extreme.

I've been looking around this forum and other sites. I'm thinking that the hardtail would be a good choice for me. Any suggestions? (Budget is a consideration since I don't know how much I will be doing this, and if I absolutely love it, I'm not opposed to upgrading in a year) So what would be a good entry level bike for me? I'm not really sure what I should be looking for, and I do want to enjoy the ride and not have the bike fall apart in a year.

This bike would be strictly off-road. I am not interested in putting it on the road or paved/gravel bike paths. Thanks in advance!
Sounds almost exactly what I did earlier this year. I went and test rode a Specialized, Giant, Trek, Gary Fisher, and a Kona. They all had a little diffrent feel to me...my novice riding COULD tell a diff. Just go with that, the best feel wins. If that don't work (all feel the same) go with what looks the coolest.:D

Rocket_Man said:
Sounds almost exactly what I did earlier this year. I went and test rode a Specialized, Giant, Trek, Gary Fisher, and a Kona. They all had a little diffrent feel to me...my novice riding COULD tell a diff. Just go with that, the best feel wins. If that don't work (all feel the same) go with what looks the coolest.:D
And what did you go with? I'm leaning towards the Specialized Hardrock.

uforgot said:
I personally like the Gary Fisher Genisis Hardtail line (tassajarra, piranha, MARLIN, wahoo). The Marlin is what I was going to get **story in a sec** The Specialized Hardrock was my second choice...none-the-less a good choice still.

**Story** I was set on getting the Gary Fisher Marlin when my parents decided to move. My dad had a '96? Fisher Kaitai that he did not want to move with him...lack of riding anyway, so he was going to sell it...instead, GAVE it to me. I couldn't turn it down:D. So, being an older bike (grip shifts, V-brakes, Shimano A derialers(sp), etc.) I took the money from the new bike and improved the free one.

The Hardrock is a great choice for more of the "Trail Mountain biking", still suitable for heavy stuff...but, you may want to check on a Rockhopper also...a little more geared toward "True Mountain biking". Just something to think about. :)

uforgot said:

There are a ton of mountain bikes that I love. The Hardrock is definately one of them. However, I don't know what kind of a budget you're looking at, but in the sub $2000 cost category for mountain bikes, it's really hard to get the same value out of a bike company then that of Giant.

It's because of this that I've stayed with Giant for my mountain bike purchases.

Postie said:
There are a ton of mountain bikes that I love. The Hardrock is definately one of them. However, I don't know what kind of a budget you're looking at, but in the sub $2000 cost category for mountain bikes, it's really hard to get the same value out of a bike company then that of Giant.

It's because of this that I've stayed with Giant for my mountain bike purchases.
Where do you buy your bikes?? Sub $2000??? The Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc. (top of that make) should only cost around $900. The Hardrock Sport should be around $500 tops and that is still a good bike for the money. The Rockhopper Pro Disc **I believe** is about $1100 at the most. My friend picked up a basic Rockhopper for $550...then upgraded it with pedals. Fisher's Tassajara is $600...$700(or so)with disc brakes. Fisher Marlin runs about $450. I know that Giant is a GREAT company, with wonderful value...but I personally like variety, and not riding what everyone else is. :) But that is the reason you do see so many.

I heard a rummor that Giant makes most all frames that cost less than $1000. Trek, Gary Fisher, Kona, Specialized...so on...are all made by Giant. Kinda seems like a rip off if that is true, but $$ wise....makes sence.

Rocket_Man said:
Where do you buy your bikes?? Sub $2000??? The Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc. (top of that make) should only cost around $900. The Hardrock Sport should be around $500 tops and that is still a good bike for the money. The Rockhopper Pro Disc **I believe** is about $1100 at the most. My friend picked up a basic Rockhopper for $550...then upgraded it with pedals. Fisher's Tassajara is $600...$700(or so)with disc brakes. Fisher Marlin runs about $450. I know that Giant is a GREAT company, with wonderful value...but I personally like variety, and not riding what everyone else is. :) But that is the reason you do see so many.

I heard a rummor that Giant makes most all frames that cost less than $1000. Trek, Gary Fisher, Kona, Specialized...so on...are all made by Giant. Kinda seems like a rip off if that is true, but $$ wise....makes sence.

There are lots of great bikes out there, and I love tons of them. Personally, I am a big believer in buying what makes you happy even if it isn't as good of a deal as something less appealing.

Some people, however, are very concerned about getting every dollar out of their bike purchase. By the time you hit the $2000 bikes, I find less variation in the value of the bike your buying and, at these price points, I'd hope people are buying what they want and not just which is the best value (I'm talking complete bikes here and not just frames).

But those interested in getting every dollar, if you compare similar bikes from Giant to any other big name bike company, a $1000 Kona, for example, would likely cost about $850 or less for a similar Giant (similar meaning in comparing weight, components, shocks, wheels, etc).

I've felt this way for years, however by now Bicycling Mag and Mountain Bike Action has said the exact same thing in many reviews which makes me feel more confident in my statement.

Postie said:
There are lots of great bikes out there, and I love tons of them. Personally, I am a big believer in buying what makes you happy even if it isn't as good of a deal as something less appealing.

Some people, however, are very concerned about getting every dollar out of their bike purchase. By the time you hit the $2000 bikes, I find less variation in the value of the bike your buying and, at these price points, I'd hope people are buying what they want and not just which is the best value (I'm talking complete bikes here and not just frames).

But those interested in getting every dollar, if you compare similar bikes from Giant to any other big name bike company, a $1000 Kona, for example, would likely cost about $850 or less for a similar Giant (similar meaning in comparing weight, components, shocks, wheels, etc).

I've felt this way for years, however by now Bicycling Mag and Mountain Bike Action has said the exact same thing in many reviews which makes me feel more confident in my statement.
OOOPS....Misunderstood your first statement.:( I thought you said that the bikes I had mentioned were in the $2000 dollar range:rolleyes:. Yeah, I totally agree wit you in that Giant has the best value. Sorry about the mix up.

I would look @ K2 bikes. they are way CHEEEEEEP. Aluminumn frame decent fork and decent components. I picked up a Zed 1.0 for the wifey for under $400 (new).

I ride it when mines in the shop and it's about the same as my $1000 Cannondale

Last year I bought a trek 4300 for about 400 bucks. My brother spent about 450 on a specialized hardrock. Both were decent bikes for the money and hepled us to realize what a great sport mtn biking is. Either one of those would be a good choice, but if you end up loving the sport then you will definitley want to upgrade to a better bike after a season.