another old freewheel question

MattAussie66

Oct 12, 2004
Hi All,

I have a commute bike with a worn 8sp spin-on (freewheel) 14-25 with campag 8sp athena. I'm cheap and lazy so there is not much hope of re-lacing the wheel with a cassette - also, the hub is super smooooooth a suntor superb and it would be a shame to lose it :)

The biggest cog the athena can take is 26.

I can find Defiant 7sp 13-24 but as I am also getting older (as well as cheap and lazy) I'm thinking 24 is maybe too tough for gladesville bridge and 26 or 25 would be better.

So, does anyone have an idea where in the world I might find a 13-26 screwon?
Can you take screw-on's apart and swap cogs around?
Has anyone ever ground the middle out of a cassette cog to fit it to a screw-on?:eek:

thanks,
Matthew

MattAussie66 said:
Hi All,

I have a commute bike with a worn 8sp spin-on (freewheel) 14-25 with campag 8sp athena. I'm cheap and lazy so there is not much hope of re-lacing the wheel with a cassette - also, the hub is super smooooooth a suntor superb and it would be a shame to lose it :)

The biggest cog the athena can take is 26.

I can find Defiant 7sp 13-24 but as I am also getting older (as well as cheap and lazy) I'm thinking 24 is maybe too tough for gladesville bridge and 26 or 25 would be better.

So, does anyone have an idea where in the world I might find a 13-26 screwon?
Can you take screw-on's apart and swap cogs around?
Has anyone ever ground the middle out of a cassette cog to fit it to a screw-on?:eek:

thanks,
Matthew

If you have a frame with horizontal dropouts and use good chain length calc, you can use a 28t biggest cog no problem. There are many 7s, spaced for Campag 8s(5mm ctr-ctr) freewheels around, like a SunRace. Not the highest quality, but lots of tooth shaping and it will work well with your 8s Campag gear. BTW-get a new chain at the same time.