Another one bites the dust

Bb

Guest
My old riding bud turned to the dark side a couple of years ago (though he's doing fairly well, and
won the climb competition for his class). Another riding bud was really picking up the slack the
last couple of years, but a few days ago he told me he's moving.

So I've run out of riders. There really aren't any trails of consequence that don't involve a 30-
minute drive (each way), and its kind of hard to justify that for a solo ride.

Guess I'll just be spending more time on the local fireroads. I'm bummed.

BB says:

>There really aren't any trails of consequence that don't involve a 30-minute drive (each way), and
>its kind of hard to justify that for a solo ride.
>
>Guess I'll just be spending more time on the local fireroads. I'm bummed.

Be thankful for the fire roads - some of us don't even have those ;-( Arcadia is 30 mins away, and
the best in this area, or else I have to be content with pavement and rocky cliff-tops. You ride
where/when you can, and are happy when the wheels turn......

Steve

BB <[email protected]> had this to say news:c1blml$1hi0ah$1@ID- 130844.news.uni-berlin.de

> My old riding bud turned to the dark side a couple of years ago (though he's doing fairly well,
> and won the climb competition for his class).

Small consolation.

> Another riding bud was really picking up the slack the last couple of years, but a few days ago he
> told me he's moving.

That's the way it goes.

> So I've run out of riders. There really aren't any trails of consequence that don't involve a 30-
> minute drive (each way), and its kind of hard to justify that for a solo ride.

Oh. how so? I reguarly ride more than an hour for a 15-20 mile solo ride. You just don't want it
bad enough :)

> Guess I'll just be spending more time on the local fireroads. I'm bummed.

Well that sucks.

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:02:37 -0000, Dave W <[email protected]> wrote:

>Oh. how so? I reguarly ride more than an hour for a 15-20 mile solo ride. You just don't want it
>bad enough :)

Ditto. I routinely drive 60 minutes (each way) for my weekend solo rides. Once there, I'm
usually on the bike for 2-4 hours, and I think that the commute is well worth it. Not many other
options nearby.

I just play Pink Floyd with the volume maxxed out, and try not to get too upset with all of the non-
EZPass equipped drivers blocking the EZPass lanes...

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:02:37 -0000, Dave W wrote:

> I reguarly ride more than an hour for a 15-20 mile solo ride. You just don't want it bad enough :)

Man, that's rough. I guess I should be happy that I at least have fireroads nearby. Gotta be a
little envious of guys like Matt who have singletrack right outside the door!

BB wrote:
> My old riding bud turned to the dark side a couple of years ago (though he's doing fairly well,
> and won the climb competition for his class). Another riding bud was really picking up the slack
> the last couple of years, but a few days ago he told me he's moving.
>
> So I've run out of riders. There really aren't any trails of consequence that don't involve a 30-
> minute drive (each way), and its kind of hard to justify that for a solo ride.

Pfft. Any time I want to go riding with a group I have to catch a plane. I'll quite happily drive a
couple of hours for some decent trails.

On 23 Feb 2004 01:40:37 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]
>There really aren't any trails of consequence that don't involve a 30-minute drive (each way), and
>its kind of hard to justify that for a solo ride.

It's never hard to justify a solo.

>Guess I'll just be spending more time on the local fireroads. I'm bummed.

Justify the solo and drive 30.

Peace, Bill

:-]

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My old riding bud turned to the dark side a couple of years ago (though he's doing fairly well,
> and won the climb competition for his class). Another riding bud was really picking up the slack
> the last couple of years, but a few days ago he told me he's moving.
>
> So I've run out of riders. There really aren't any trails of consequence that don't involve a 30-
> minute drive (each way), and its kind of hard to justify that for a solo ride.
>
> Guess I'll just be spending more time on the local fireroads. I'm bummed.
>
> --
> -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

I gotta say...solo rides are the best ones for me. I'd rather ride alone than with most people. I
get in competition mode and start racing instead of enjoying the moment and the place. When I
lived in Napa, CA I'd drive everyday 30 mins for a solo ride up Oat Hill Mine Road...I miss it so
much... Drew

BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My old riding bud turned to the dark side a couple of years ago (though he's doing fairly well,
> and won the climb competition for his class). Another riding bud was really picking up the slack
> the last couple of years, but a few days ago he told me he's moving.
>
> So I've run out of riders. There really aren't any trails of consequence that don't involve a 30-
> minute drive (each way), and its kind of hard to justify that for a solo ride.
>
> Guess I'll just be spending more time on the local fireroads. I'm bummed.

Ah, big deal. Who even needs the fireroads? Just sell the bikes for a stationary. It's WAY more
convenient. If you get bored, you could watch a Fagerlin video and pretend that's you. Or you could
watch **** and pretend it's you.

/s

BB wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:02:37 -0000, Dave W wrote:
>
>>I reguarly ride more than an hour for a 15-20 mile solo ride. You just don't want it bad enough :)
>

> Man, that's rough. I guess I should be happy that I at least have fireroads nearby. Gotta be a
> little envious of guys like Matt who have singletrack right outside the door!

You know, that's a funny thing about Oregon. Fantastic riding, but it is all car-distance away.
Eugene was just the same. Tons of wooded hills in and around town, but it's all private land that
you can't ride on. Here in San Diego, though, we have (had. Damned fires ruined a lot of riding
areas) quite a number of decent riding areas right in town, several of which are within easy riding
distance of my house.

Miles

BB wrote:
> My old riding bud turned to the dark side a couple of years ago (though he's doing fairly well,
> and won the climb competition for his class). Another riding bud was really picking up the slack
> the last couple of years, but a few days ago he told me he's moving.
>
> So I've run out of riders. There really aren't any trails of consequence that don't involve a 30-
> minute drive (each way), and its kind of hard to justify that for a solo ride.
>
> Guess I'll just be spending more time on the local fireroads. I'm bummed.

Depends on how bad you want the ride! I've driven to Fruita (2.5 Hrs) and had a great solo ride.
Totally woth it when I needed it bad and the conditions weren't complying here.

That does suck though. I've had a harder and harder time getting out with my regular buds in the
last year and that's made for lots of solo or pickup rides. I'll take what I can get and like it!

Matt