Another one bites the dust

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Peter Bowditch, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. One down, many more to go:

    http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/standard/article.html?in_arti-
    cle_id=209249&%20in_page_id=169

    Healer jailed for selling 'cancer cure'

    An alternative therapist who sold a treatment machine to a
    dying man falsely claiming it would "kill" his cancer was
    jailed for 12 months today.

    Reginald Gill, 69, of Wilson Road, Bournemouth, was
    convicted of making a false statement about services
    provided to terminally ill Stephen Hall on May 10, 2002, and
    supplying goods with a false description on May 17, 2002.

    Sentencing Gill, Recorder Lorraine Morgan said: "Mr Hall was
    a man in his early forties.

    "A man in the prime of his life when he received the
    diagnosis that he was suffering from a most severe form of
    cancer. One can only imagine the fear he must have felt.

    "You exploited that fear for your own financial gain."

    She added: "On your false claims you must have filled the
    last months of his life with false hope while you were
    taking his money.

    "You denied Mr Hall the brief opportunity to come to terms
    with his fate."

    Healer sold machine for £2,500

    The trial at Bournemouth Crown Court earlier heard how Gill
    provided four treatments to 43-year-old Mr Hall, a voice
    coach of Flint, North Wales, using an IFAS high frequency
    treatment machine.

    He then sold the machine, which emits a high frequency
    electric current at a low voltage, to Mr Hall for £2,500,
    having bought it from an Australian company for under £200,
    the court had heard.

    Mr Hall's condition worsened and he died 10 weeks later,
    leaving his widow Rhiannon.

    The Recorder described the case as "most curious and
    unusual".

    She told Gill: "When I first began to hear this case, I
    considered and wondered if you might be a sincere but
    misguided eccentric.

    "As the evidence has developed I did change my view.

    "I find that in your evidence you demonstrated a disturbing
    level of callousness and cynicism towards Mr Hall."

    Gill, a former Royal Marine, denied he had told Mr Hall the
    machine would cure his cancer. He claimed he told him it
    would help the body heal itself.

    Warning to 'alternative healers'

    Mr Hall's mother, Sheila Cracknell, said outside court
    that the case would serve as a warning to "so-called
    alternative healers".

    "My message to other so-called alternative healers is we are
    on your case," she said.

    "If you provide false hope to people with terminal
    illnesses, be aware of the sentence that was just passed
    on Mr Gill."

    She added: "I feel justice was more than done today. I think
    the judge gave considered thought to a very difficult case.

    "My son was denied the chance to come to terms with his
    illness because of the false hope.

    "I have come to terms with the fact my son died. What we
    wanted to do was save other families from going through the
    horrendous time that we had."

    Gill, speaking outside court before he was sentenced, said
    he had trained in "healing and nutrition" while working as a
    hospital cook and nutritionist in the army.

    He said: "I never use the word cure. The body is metabolic.
    If you find deficiencies in the body and understand that
    it's the body that does the healing."

    Gill said both he and his wife were disabled and that he
    would appeal if he received a jail sentence.

    He said: "I am appealing. I have got a new solicitor. The
    prosecution told a pack of lies - the cost of the machine at
    £200. I paid 4,800 dollars (£2,630) with a discount."

    The case against the self-proclaimed "traditional healer",
    formerly of Poole, Dorset, came to court after a complaint
    was made to the Medical Devices Agency and Poole Borough
    Council's trading standards department

    --
    Peter Bowditch
    The Green Light http://www.ratbags.com/greenlight
    To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

    Tags:

  2. "Peter Bowditch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > One down, many more to go:

    http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/standard/article.html?in_arti-
    cle_id=209249&%20in_page_id=169

    > Healer jailed for selling 'cancer cure'
    >
    > An alternative therapist who sold a treatment machine to a
    > dying man falsely claiming it would "kill" his cancer was
    > jailed for 12 months today.
    >
    > Reginald Gill, 69, of Wilson Road, Bournemouth, was
    > convicted of making a false statement about services
    > provided to terminally ill Stephen Hall on May 10,
    > 2002, and supplying goods with a false description on
    > May 17, 2002.
    >
    > Sentencing Gill, Recorder Lorraine Morgan said: "Mr Hall
    > was a man in his early forties.
    >
    > "A man in the prime of his life when he received the
    > diagnosis that he was suffering from a most severe form of
    > cancer. One can only imagine the fear he must have felt.
    >
    > "You exploited that fear for your own financial gain."
    >
    > She added: "On your false claims you must have filled the
    > last months of his life with false hope while you were
    > taking his money.
    >
    > "You denied Mr Hall the brief opportunity to come to terms
    > with his fate."

    That is one of the things I have railed against with the
    phoney cure-alls.

    > Healer sold machine for £2,500

    Hulda should hear this....

    > The trial at Bournemouth Crown Court earlier heard how
    > Gill provided four treatments to 43-year-old Mr Hall, a
    > voice coach of Flint, North Wales, using an IFAS high
    > frequency treatment machine.
    >
    > He then sold the machine, which emits a high frequency
    > electric current at a low voltage, to Mr Hall for £2,500,
    > having bought it from an Australian company for under
    > £200, the court had heard.

    Sounds like a Zapper to me.

    > Mr Hall's condition worsened and he died 10 weeks later,
    > leaving his widow Rhiannon.
    >
    > The Recorder described the case as "most curious and
    > unusual".
    >
    > She told Gill: "When I first began to hear this case, I
    > considered and wondered if you might be a sincere but
    > misguided eccentric.
    >
    > "As the evidence has developed I did change my view.
    >
    > "I find that in your evidence you demonstrated a
    > disturbing level of callousness and cynicism towards
    > Mr Hall."
    >
    > Gill, a former Royal Marine, denied he had told Mr Hall
    > the machine would cure his cancer. He claimed he told him
    > it would help the body heal itself.

    Hey, that is an argument that Hulda or Jan would make.

    > Warning to 'alternative healers'
    >
    > Mr Hall's mother, Sheila Cracknell, said outside court
    > that the case would serve as a warning to "so-called
    > alternative healers".
    >
    > "My message to other so-called alternative healers is we
    > are on your case," she said.
    >
    > "If you provide false hope to people with terminal
    > illnesses, be aware of the sentence that was just passed
    > on Mr Gill."

    Take that, you larcenous swine.

    > She added: "I feel justice was more than done today. I
    > think the judge gave considered thought to a very
    > difficult case.
    >
    > "My son was denied the chance to come to terms with his
    > illness because of the false hope.
    >
    > "I have come to terms with the fact my son died. What we
    > wanted to do was save other families from going through
    > the horrendous time that we had."

    This is a good woman, with a pure heart.

    > Gill, speaking outside court before he was sentenced, said
    > he had trained in "healing and nutrition" while working as
    > a hospital cook and nutritionist in the army.

    Army nutritionist is an oxymoronic term.

    > He said: "I never use the word cure. The body is
    > metabolic. If you find deficiencies in the body and
    > understand that it's the body that does the healing."
    >
    > Gill said both he and his wife were disabled and that he
    > would appeal if he received a jail sentence.

    Whine whine whine

    > He said: "I am appealing. I have got a new solicitor. The
    > prosecution told a pack of lies - the cost of the machine
    > at £200. I paid 4,800 dollars (£2,630) with a discount."

    Sure he did.

    > The case against the self-proclaimed "traditional healer",
    > formerly of Poole, Dorset, came to court after a complaint
    > was made to the Medical Devices Agency and Poole Borough
    > Council's trading standards department

  3. Kim

    Kim Guest

    "Peter Bowditch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > One down, many more to go:

    http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/standard/article.html?in_arti-
    cle_id=209249&%20in_page_id=169

    > Healer jailed for selling 'cancer cure'
    >
    > An alternative therapist who sold a treatment machine to a
    > dying man falsely claiming it would "kill" his cancer was
    > jailed for 12 months today.
    Perhaps he was convinced by Mrs. Clark that these machines
    actually worked as she claims. Either that or he was a cruel
    greedy scammer taking advantage of a dying man. Shameful.

    Kim

  4. Anth

    Anth Guest

    Why did he have the machine in the first place? Anth

    [email protected]