Another one gone, another one gone...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chris, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    ...another one bites the dust.

    Bikes, that is. As in one of mine, gone. Came out of class, bike not there. Whomever made of with my
    ride even took the lock...no pieces on the ground, in nearby trashcans, etc. Well, I did find pieces
    of bike locks in the trash...just not mine. That's reassuring.

    I'm pretty bummed...this was the first bike I'd ever built up and now, barring a miracle, it's
    gone forever.

    I only rode it on campus because of this shitty east coast weather...and because I wanted to take
    this one flight of stairs with the high-speed curbs and such at the end. This was exactly the second
    time all semester I rode a mtb; every other day it was a shitty old road bike no one wants to steal.

    So, if anyone sees a '00 X-caliber built up all weird in the DC metro area, hit them with a brick
    and email me.

    Here's what was taken: http://www.pbase.com/image/19501217

    X-cal frame, '02 RS Duke (yeah it sucks, but I paid like $100 for it new),
    LX/XT/Avid Mag/Bontrager Select...it was a hell of a second bike.

    Chris -hey, at least I still have my badass FS. And my new car. And my health. And this raging 4-day
    headache from end-of-semester paper writing.

    Tags:

  2. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > ...another one bites the dust.
    >
    > Bikes, that is. As in one of mine, gone. Came out of class, bike not there. Whomever made of with
    > my ride even took the lock...no pieces on
    the
    > ground, in nearby trashcans, etc. Well, I did find pieces of bike locks
    in
    > the trash...just not mine. That's reassuring.
    >
    > I'm pretty bummed...this was the first bike I'd ever built up and now, barring a miracle, it's
    > gone forever.
    >
    > I only rode it on campus because of this shitty east coast weather...and because I wanted to take
    > this one flight of stairs with the high-speed
    curbs
    > and such at the end. This was exactly the second time all semester I rode
    > mtb; every other day it was a shitty old road bike no one wants to steal.
    >
    > So, if anyone sees a '00 X-caliber built up all weird in the DC metro
    area,
    > hit them with a brick and email me.
    >
    > Here's what was taken: http://www.pbase.com/image/19501217
    >
    > X-cal frame, '02 RS Duke (yeah it sucks, but I paid like $100 for it new),
    > LX/XT/Avid Mag/Bontrager Select...it was a hell of a second bike.
    >
    > Chris -hey, at least I still have my badass FS. And my new car. And my health. And this raging 4-
    > day headache from end-of-semester paper writing.

    Either way, if you want to build a similar one back up at some point, I've got a gf big sur frame
    I'm trying to get rid of. Hopefully you'll catch the jackass perp though!!!!!!

    Jon Bond

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > ...another one bites the dust.
    {snip}
    > Here's what was taken: http://www.pbase.com/image/19501217
    >
    > X-cal frame, '02 RS Duke (yeah it sucks, but I paid like $100 for it new),
    > LX/XT/Avid Mag/Bontrager Select...it was a hell of a second bike.

    That sucks, Chris -- hope they endo it on broken glass in a minefield...during an earthquake!

    Bill "no offense, but there's NO WAY I'd let a decent bike out of my sight for more than a minute
    or two" S.

  4. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > ...another one bites the dust.
    > {snip}
    > > Here's what was taken: http://www.pbase.com/image/19501217
    > >
    > > X-cal frame, '02 RS Duke (yeah it sucks, but I paid like $100 for it
    new),
    > > LX/XT/Avid Mag/Bontrager Select...it was a hell of a second bike.
    >
    > That sucks, Chris -- hope they endo it on broken glass in a minefield...during an earthquake!
    >
    > Bill "no offense, but there's NO WAY I'd let a decent bike out of my sight for more than a minute
    > or two" S.

    Ditto - my good bike stays in my room behind locked door unless my roomie or me is in the room. Even
    going to the bathroom I lock it.

    Plus I've got an insurance policy on it for full replacement value... (read: combined MSRP of every
    individual component!)

    Jon Bond

  5. Q.

    Q. Guest

    > ...another one bites the dust.
    >
    > Bikes, that is. As in one of mine, gone. Came out of class, bike not there. Whomever made of with
    > my ride even took the lock...no pieces on
    the
    > ground, in nearby trashcans, etc. Well, I did find pieces of bike locks
    in
    > the trash...just not mine. That's reassuring.

    Yeah, that sucks man ... nothing worse than that sinking feeling when you realize what happened.

    Out of curiosity, what kind and brand of lock did you use?

    C.Q.C.

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ...another one bites the dust.
    >
    > Bikes, that is. As in one of mine, gone. Came out of class, bike not there.

    I've said it time and time again, buy a beater to commute.

    JD

  7. D H

    D H Guest

    > ...another one bites the dust.
    >
    > Bikes, that is. As in one of mine, gone. Came out of class, bike not there. Whomever made of with
    > my ride even took the lock...no pieces on
    the
    > ground, in nearby trashcans, etc. Well, I did find pieces of bike locks
    in
    > the trash...just not mine. That's reassuring.

    Big sympathy to you. That's is pitiful. Do hope you catch up with it by some miracle...

    > Chris -hey, at least I still have my badass FS. And my new car. And my health. And this raging 4-
    > day headache from end-of-semester paper writing.

    Now there's a memory I don't want refreshed.
    --
    Off to ride the mountains, D H Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

  8. "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > ...another one bites the dust.
    > {snip}
    > > Here's what was taken: http://www.pbase.com/image/19501217
    > >
    > > X-cal frame, '02 RS Duke (yeah it sucks, but I paid like $100 for it
    new),
    > > LX/XT/Avid Mag/Bontrager Select...it was a hell of a second bike.
    >
    > That sucks, Chris -- hope they endo it on broken glass in a minefield...during an earthquake!
    >
    > Bill "no offense, but there's NO WAY I'd let a decent bike out of my sight for more than a minute
    > or two" S.

    Leaving anything alone in DC Metro for gods sake! It's like begging for someone to take it.

  9. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > "
    >
    > Bill "no offense, but there's NO WAY I'd let a decent bike out of my sight for more than a minute
    > or two" S.

    Understood...that's why I hadn't ridden it yet, why I felt the threat was lower in the cold rain on
    a Wednesday in the middle of the damn day, and plus, it's a black and yellow bike with green tires
    and a very craptastic chainwheel mod going on. I figured the average thief wouldn't know what he was
    looking at for all the ugliness, and real cyclists understood the value of the bike...oh well.
    Here's looking to the UMD police...hah!

    I built that bike up that way (nine total speeds, no front shift, semi slicks, shitty fork) just for
    UMD commuting, incidentally. It's when I went up for a few volleyball games (my friend's a
    trainer...plus there's chicks) and noticed all the cut cables and U-lock fragments that I picked up
    a beater road bike. I figured two days of indulgence wouldn't kill me. Oh well.

    Chris

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Out of curiosity, what kind and brand of lock did you use?
    >
    > C.Q.C.

    Don't remember the brand (it was a real lock by a real cycling company, but it's out of my head); it
    was covered cable - I want to say just under half-inch - with a keyed padlock. The bastard/bastards
    in question took the lock with them, so I can't say whether they cut the cable (most likely) or
    popped the lock.

    The problem? The brand wasn't Kryptonite. Next bike gets a New York-series lock, and the replacement
    guarantee that goes with it.

    Chris

  11. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > ...another one bites the dust.
    > {snip}
    > > Here's what was taken: http://www.pbase.com/image/19501217
    > >
    > > X-cal frame, '02 RS Duke (yeah it sucks, but I paid like $100 for it
    new),
    > > LX/XT/Avid Mag/Bontrager Select...it was a hell of a second bike.
    >
    > That sucks, Chris -- hope they endo it on broken glass in a minefield...during an earthquake!
    >
    > Bill "no offense, but there's NO WAY I'd let a decent bike out of my sight for more than a minute
    > or two" S.

    you don't have anything to worry about. a potential thief would see that all of the allen heads on
    the bike are now circular and that there's only one strand of cable shifting the rear derrailleur.
    He'd figure he'd have to invest too much time and money in the [email protected] thing to get it working well
    enough so he could even score a quick buck with it that he'd just move on to the next easy target!

    Michael

  12. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Out of curiosity, what kind and brand of lock did you use?
    > >
    > > C.Q.C.
    > >

    > Don't remember the brand (it was a real lock by a real cycling company,
    but
    > it's out of my head); it was covered cable - I want to say just under half-inch - with a keyed
    > padlock. The bastard/bastards in question took
    the
    > lock with them, so I can't say whether they cut the cable (most likely) or popped the lock.
    >
    > The problem? The brand wasn't Kryptonite. Next bike gets a New
    York-series
    > lock, and the replacement guarantee that goes with it.
    >
    > Chris

    Don't trust the kryptonite guarantee too much. They need a broken/picked lock, plus your bike
    registered both with the NBR and them within like a week of purchasing the lock. It is good
    security, but just get a rider on your homeowner's insurance (or by itself, if you can get one -
    don't know if you can) for full replacement value. Those are KEY words!

    Jon Bond

  13. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    "Sir Ride-A-Lot" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot> wrote:
    > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > ...another one bites the dust.
    > {snip}
    > > > Here's what was taken: http://www.pbase.com/image/19501217
    > > >
    > > > X-cal frame, '02 RS Duke ...
    > > That sucks, Chris -- hope they endo it on broken glass in a minefield...during an earthquake!
    > >
    > > Bill "no offense, but there's NO WAY I'd let a decent bike out of my sight for more than a
    > > minute or two" S.
    >
    > Leaving anything alone in DC Metro for gods sake! It's like begging for someone to take it.

    You don't even have to be metro to get tapped these days. Friends of mine were camped *way* out in
    the hinterlands between GJ and Moab. They were like 10 miles from pavement. They thought they were
    far enough from "civilization" that they wouldn't need to worry about being ripped off. The bikes
    were leaning against the truck and they were sleeping in the truck--gone when they woke up. An FSR
    and a really nice Turner fully.

    Bikes are too fence-able these days I think. And Crystal Meth isn't the bargain it used to be...
    --
    Tom "never brings a lock & chain when camping 50 miles from town" Purvis
    Salida, CO - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

  14. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Michael Paul" <mfpaul [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Bill "no offense, but there's NO WAY I'd let a decent bike out of my
    sight
    > > for more than a minute or two" S.
    > >

    > you don't have anything to worry about. a potential thief would see that all of the allen heads on
    > the bike are now circular and that there's only one strand of cable shifting the rear derrailleur.
    > He'd figure he'd have
    > invest too much time and money in the [email protected] thing to get it working well enough so he could even
    > score a quick buck with it that he'd just move on
    > the next easy target!

    If you've got something to say, just say it! (Smart-arse.)

    Bill "rounded-out bolts keep thieves from stealing components* " S.

    *like cleats off shoes, rear suspension braces, etc.

  15. Jim Gravity

    Jim Gravity Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Out of curiosity, what kind and brand of lock did you use?
    > >
    > > C.Q.C.
    > >

    > Don't remember the brand (it was a real lock by a real cycling company, but it's out of my head);
    > it was covered cable - I want to say just under half-inch - with a keyed padlock. The
    > bastard/bastards in question took the lock with them, so I can't say whether they cut the cable
    > (most likely) or popped the lock.
    >
    > The problem? The brand wasn't Kryptonite. Next bike gets a New York-series lock, and the
    > replacement guarantee that goes with it.
    >
    > Chris

    GEt the ny chain lock. I messengered in nyc, locked my bike 30-60 times a day for months on end.

  16. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > "Chris" <c[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > ...another one bites the dust.
    > >
    > > Bikes, that is. As in one of mine, gone. Came out of class, bike not there.
    >
    > I've said it time and time again, buy a beater to commute.
    >
    > JD

    I did, that's what really chaps my ass. I have a forty-year-old road bike (that's right...it's from
    the '60s, I'm from the '80s) that probably doesn't even need to be locked...this was only the scond
    time this semester I've had the now-stolen bike locked outside.

    I just wanted to jump a few curbs, hit some stairs, not swerve around potholes for one day...and I
    get got for it.

    I spent today passing out flyers with a photo, contact info, and a parts spec to all the LBSs and
    pawn shops in the area, as if that's going to help. Oh well.

    Chris

  17. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "D H" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> "[/q1]
    [q2]> > Chris -hey, at least I still have my badass FS. And my new car. And my[/q2]
    health.
    [q2]> > And this raging 4-day headache from end-of-semester paper writing.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Now there's a memory I don't want refreshed.[/q1]
    [q1]> --[/q1]

    Heh...I've turned in over 40 pages in 10 days. Classes are over; finals start Tuesday - I am
    drinking myself into a coma tomorrow.

    Chris -gotta love a good 'ole college binge

  18. Chris

    Chris Guest

  19. Q.

    Q. Guest

    Still pisses me off that schools don't do a damned thing about bike theft, I mean, how much are you
    paying a year for your "education"? Tens of thousands of dollars worth of property is being stolen
    on a regular basis and they don't care, but if just one woman makes up a story about being

    Jesh, how much does a video camera cost? Seems there could be a lot of good answers to this problem
    if the administrations seriously cared, like day long attended storage. I guess it don't really
    matter since the security guards probably steal most of the bikes.

    At least they're teaching you what it's like in the real world.

    Were you ever going to sell the bike? I've heard of people engraving "never for sale" onto
    every major component of their bikes. I might just do that, even on my old beater. A surprising
    number of Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs are being stolen, now that they are becoming increasingly
    harder to find.

    C.Q.C.

  20. Greg Walton

    Greg Walton Guest

    "Q." wrote:

    > Were you ever going to sell the bike? I've heard of people engraving "never for sale" onto every
    > major component of their bikes. I might just do that, even on my old beater. A surprising number
    > of Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs are being stolen, now that they are becoming increasingly harder
    > to find.
    >
    > C.Q.C.

    An "audiophile" friend of mine had his beloved hifi stolen a few years ago. It was insured, but it
    was something he had collected over many years, since his teens. When he finally assembled a new
    system (around AUD$15,000) and decided it was his "system for life", he got a professional engraver
    to put "Stolen from

    though, on the visable faces, it actually looked like it was meant to be there
    :)

    Cheers Greg

    I'm really greg dot walton at swissonline dot ch