Another one gone, another one gone...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chris, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Jim Gravity

    Jim Gravity Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "D H" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "
    > > > Chris -hey, at least I still have my badass FS. And my new car. And my
    > health.
    > > > And this raging 4-day headache from end-of-semester paper writing.
    > >
    > > Now there's a memory I don't want refreshed.
    > > --
    >
    > Heh...I've turned in over 40 pages in 10 days. Classes are over; finals start Tuesday - I am
    > drinking myself into a coma tomorrow.
    >
    > Chris -gotta love a good 'ole college binge

    Maybe I can help with that, Dogfish Head should be available in your area:

    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/rate_results/4520/2093/

  2. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ...another one bites the dust.
    >
    > Bikes, that is. As in one of mine, gone. Came out of class, bike not there. Whomever made of with
    > my ride even took the lock...no pieces on the ground, in nearby trashcans, etc. Well, I did find
    > pieces of bike locks in the trash...just not mine. That's reassuring.ike.
    >
    > Chris -hey, at least I still have my badass FS. And my new car. And my health. And this raging 4-
    > day headache from end-of-semester paper writing.

    Sorry to hear that. Nice looking rig.

    I spent a summer in DC before kids. Felt lucky a couple times we got away alive. What saved us one
    time when we got dropped off by the bus in a really bad part of town, where I wanted to check
    something out, (place closed 5 minutes later) is the locals couldn't believe there were these two
    white tourist-types in their 'hood. We found an oriental-run convenience store (with bars over all
    the glass, a shotgun behind the counter) to hang out in until the next bus came along.

    I felt safer in Mexico City in '93.

    paladin

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > ...another one bites the dust.
    > >
    > > Bikes, that is. As in one of mine, gone. Came out of class, bike not there. Whomever made of
    > > with my ride even took the lock...no pieces on
    the
    > > ground, in nearby trashcans, etc. Well, I did find pieces of bike locks
    in
    > > the trash...just not mine. That's reassuring.ike.
    > >
    > > Chris -hey, at least I still have my badass FS. And my new car. And my
    health.
    > > And this raging 4-day headache from end-of-semester paper writing.
    >
    > Sorry to hear that. Nice looking rig.
    >
    > I spent a summer in DC before kids. Felt lucky a couple times we got away alive. What saved us one
    > time when we got dropped off by the bus in a really bad part of town, where I wanted to check
    > something out, (place closed 5 minutes later) is the locals couldn't believe there were these two
    > white tourist-types in their 'hood. We found an oriental-run convenience store (with bars over all
    > the glass, a shotgun behind the counter) to hang out in until the next bus came along.
    >
    > I felt safer in Mexico City in '93.
    >
    > paladin

    I hear all of that. DC is a festering shithole that chooses to allow itself to remain the Worst City
    in America.

    Campus isn't exactly in DC (College Park is about 15 minutes out) but it is undeniably DC in terms
    of crime, local's attitudes, and the almost violent behavior of people in cars. I often work in the
    city and, ever since I got my truck broken into and lost a $400 ice climbing jacket (which I'm sure
    was thought to be a funky colored windbreaker), I carry a knife. If I had seen whomever it was grab
    my bike, well, I'd need a new knife.

    Chris

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > ...another one bites the dust.
    > > >
    > > > Bikes, that is. As in one of mine, gone. Came out of class, bike not there.
    > >
    > > I've said it time and time again, buy a beater to commute.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > I did, that's what really chaps my ass. I have a forty-year-old road bike (that's right...it's
    > from the '60s, I'm from the '80s) that probably doesn't even need to be locked...

    Now you know the cost of risky and guilty pleasures. Ride the beater to school.

    JD

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Heh...I've turned in over 40 pages in 10 days. Classes are over; finals start Tuesday - I am
    > > drinking myself into a coma tomorrow.
    > >
    > > Chris -gotta love a good 'ole college binge
    >
    > Maybe I can help with that, Dogfish Head should be available in your area:
    >
    > http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/rate_results/4520/2093/

    I haven't had the IPA...but generally really like Dogfish Head brews. I'm not a fan of the Raisin
    D'etre, but the others are unassailably excellent.

    I prefer dark, dark, and dark beers...Newcastle is a light, refreshing drink for me. If you're
    ever near Annapolis, find the Ram's Head Tavern and ask for a Genius Stout. They don't call it
    that for nothin'.

    I think tonight I will start with Nut Brown because I've been a good boy, then, after that 6er is
    down, drink a 12 of Busch Light just to ensure permanent damage.

    Chris

  6. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Chris wrote:

    >>>And this raging 4-day headache from end-of-semester paper writing.
    >>>
    >>Sorry to hear that. Nice looking rig.
    >>
    >>I spent a summer in DC before kids. Felt lucky a couple times we got away alive. What saved us one
    >>time when we got dropped off by the bus in a really bad part of town, where I wanted to check
    >>something out, (place closed 5 minutes later) is the locals couldn't believe there were these two
    >>white tourist-types in their 'hood. We found an oriental-run convenience store (with bars over all
    >>the glass, a shotgun behind the counter) to hang out in until the next bus came along.
    >>
    >>I felt safer in Mexico City in '93.
    >>
    >>paladin
    >>

    > I hear all of that. DC is a festering shithole that chooses to allow itself to remain the Worst
    > City in America.
    >
    > Campus isn't exactly in DC (College Park is about 15 minutes out) but it is undeniably DC in terms
    > of crime, local's attitudes, and the almost violent behavior of people in cars. I often work in
    > the city and, ever since I got my truck broken into and lost a $400 ice climbing jacket (which I'm
    > sure was thought to be a funky colored windbreaker), I carry a knife. If I had seen whomever it
    > was grab my bike, well, I'd need a new knife.
    >
    > Chris

    May I kindly introduce you to my friends at Benchmade, Emerson, Cold Steel or Spyderco?

    Paladin