Another one popped out

suzyj

New Member
Mar 22, 2004
After being totally inspired by the story on Hero Bicycles, I've finished my touring frame in record time. That's two inside of a year!

Anyway, cop a look at this:

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/frame/addendum.html

Regards,

Suzy

PS: The downtube shifters were originally for Hippy's benefit, but I quite like them, so reckon I'll leave them on.

suzyj said:
After being totally inspired by the story on Hero Bicycles, I've finished my touring frame in record time. That's two inside of a year!

Anyway, cop a look at this:

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/frame/addendum.html

Regards,

Suzy

PS: The downtube shifters were originally for Hippy's benefit, but I quite like them, so reckon I'll leave them on.

nice! are the downtube levers functional or just for looks? Barends are still nicely retro but so much sweeter to use - can brake and change almost simultaneously, enough to maintain momentum at gulley bottom.

"suzyj" <[email protected]

> Anyway, cop a look at this:
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/frame/addendum.html

Damn! You kick ****!
I love the dropouts and that seatstay bridge!

> PS: The downtube shifters were originally for Hippy's benefit, but I
> quite like them, so reckon I'll leave them on.

I'd like to say I warped your mind.. but I think you were
far gone before I mentioned any such retro touches... ;-)

You're going to need your own frame brand soon!
www.littlefishframes.com

hippy

aeek wrote:

> nice! are the downtube levers functional or just for looks? Barends are
> still nicely retro but so much sweeter to use - can brake and change
> almost simultaneously, enough to maintain momentum at gulley
> bottom.

I used to use the downtube levers on my old boad bike. They're Campy nine speed, so play nicely with the rest of my gear. I intend on keeping them on there, as they suit my minimalist aesthetic.

Back when I rode with downtube gear levers all the time, I never had trouble braking and shifting simultaneously. I'd just use my left hand to do the shifting (on either derailleur) while braking with the right (front) brake. I actually find shifting the rear derailleur while braking with my ergos is more difficult, as you're trying to use the same hand for both (I rarely use my rear brake).

The only thing ergos are good for is changing gear before a sprint. The old guys at racing with downtube levers are at a distinct disadvantage, as it's dead obvious they're about to go, while those with ergos can knock it up a few gears covertly without moving off the hoods.

Regards,

Suzy

hippy said:
"suzyj" <[email protected]

> Anyway, cop a look at this:
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/frame/addendum.html

Damn! You kick ****!
I love the dropouts and that seatstay bridge!

> PS: The downtube shifters were originally for Hippy's benefit, but I
> quite like them, so reckon I'll leave them on.

I'd like to say I warped your mind.. but I think you were
far gone before I mentioned any such retro touches... ;-)

You're going to need your own frame brand soon!
www.littlefishframes.com

hippy

Gentlemen, we are in the presence of genius!
Awesome work Suze. Bring on littlefishframes :D :D :D
I was gonna offer my services to do any graphic design work you might need but your stuff is too cool to improve upon

Have you had any thawts as to how much you would charge to do frame for someone else. forum-discount? :D

suzyj said:
Back when I rode with downtube gear levers all the time, I never had trouble braking and shifting simultaneously. I'd just use my left hand to do the shifting (on either derailleur) while braking with the right (front) brake. I actually find shifting the rear derailleur while braking with my ergos is more difficult, as you're trying to use the same hand for both (I rarely use my rear brake).

Think I forgot to allow for my incompetence - fingers onto spokes a specialty - and weak arms; I can't quite stabilise the bike with one hand.
Barends give me 1.5 hands but an 8-speed limit (Shimano).

Retro is better for touring - fallback to friction after crash damage has trashed the indexing.

"suzyj" <[email protected]
> The only thing ergos are good for is changing gear before a sprint.

True. In some early races on my $100 special, I
would just spin like a nutter and maybe get a chance
to flick the downtube shifter, if I was lucky. That was
the main reason for upgrading to the STI shifters on
the Pug.

I might be getting hold of a new road machine soon (with
gears.. sorry guys ;-) ). I was even contemplating putting
Campag on it for a test.. but it's a bloody expensive test!!
so I'll stick with Shimano.

http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=48

They also make a nice steel road machine and if I had the
cash (and desire for ANOTHER bloody bike!) I would
get it as well, fit full Campag or Ultegra with barcons on
the drops. Or maybe leave it as a singlespeed? Hmm...
Does anyone have a spare $2k? I promise I'll post a ride
report about it.. really.. I promise.. $1k? Anyone..

hippy

suzyj said:
Back when I rode with downtube gear levers all the time, I never had trouble braking and shifting simultaneously. I'd just use my left hand to do the shifting (on either derailleur) while braking with the right (front) brake. I actually find shifting the rear derailleur while braking with my ergos is more difficult, as you're trying to use the same hand for both (I rarely use my rear brake).

The only thing ergos are good for is changing gear before a sprint. The old guys at racing with downtube levers are at a distinct disadvantage, as it's dead obvious they're about to go, while those with ergos can knock it up a few gears covertly without moving off the hoods.

Regards,

Suzy

Hey! Nice work!

In light of this magnificent output, I can forgive you for using linseed oil on your spokes :D ;)

Barcons on the classic touring bike should be de riguer, IM(extreeemly H)O. Although I remember seeing a piccie with Greg Griffiths (Ivanhoe Cycles et al) racing with a pair on in the 70s. I think I remember him saying that he dumped them and went back to downtube when guys who went past leaned over to 'accidentally' change his gears for him. He got used to shielding his barend levers with his hand just before a sprint, or on the attack on a climb! Heavyweight/rough road touring they get my vote, coz if you dump an STI/Ergo in the dirt miles from anywhere, it's pretty difficult to service complicated shifters using a stump or a fencepost as a workbench.

What about having a go at TIG, have you thought about it?

P.S Have Pixar's lawyers knocked on your door yet (it's just your little fish looks a bit like Nemo) - damn their black hearts - ? :D

M "connoisseur of classic steel - but all his bikes are currently aluminium - go figure" H

suzyj said:
aeek wrote:

I actually find shifting the rear derailleur while braking with my ergos is more difficult, as you're trying to use the same hand for both (I rarely use my rear brake).
I come from sweden, and there we set up so that the rear brake is on your right hand, and front on left of course. That is how I got my bicycle built here in oz. So, no problem. :)

Only problem for some people is that a motorbike has the front brake on your right hand. Me personally has never had that problem, for some reason I react differently on the Motorbike compared to the bicycle.

suzyj said:
After being totally inspired by the story on Hero Bicycles, I've finished my touring frame in record time. That's two inside of a year!

Anyway, cop a look at this:

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/frame/addendum.html

Regards,

Suzy

PS: The downtube shifters were originally for Hippy's benefit, but I quite like them, so reckon I'll leave them on.

Very nice work Suzy!

How many hours for this frame?
I'm reading the framebuilders list & scribling down my own ideas. Just need to free up my time (& budget!) first. Wish there were more lug options for MTB's though. Most likely will do fillet. ;)

hippy wrote:
> "suzyj" <[email protected]
>
>>The only thing ergos are good for is changing gear before a sprint.

> True. In some early races on my $100 special, I
> would just spin like a nutter and maybe get a chance
> to flick the downtube shifter, if I was lucky. That was
> the main reason for upgrading to the STI shifters on
> the Pug.
>
> I might be getting hold of a new road machine soon (with
> gears.. sorry guys ;-) ). I was even contemplating putting
> Campag on it for a test.. but it's a bloody expensive test!!
> so I'll stick with Shimano.
>
> http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=48
>
> They also make a nice steel road machine and if I had the
> cash (and desire for ANOTHER bloody bike!) I would
> get it as well, fit full Campag or Ultegra with barcons on
> the drops. Or maybe leave it as a singlespeed? Hmm...
> Does anyone have a spare $2k? I promise I'll post a ride
> report about it.. really.. I promise.. $1k? Anyone..
>
> hippy

u replacing the race bike?

are you getting a good deal for it or is it a model
you specifically want?

Haven't ridden one of those but I rode a friend's
P3 and that was good fun. Once you get them going
they keep riding on their own :)

--
Nick

Nice work there Suzy.

Keep up the passion. :)

Gotta love the fish.

--
Tony

[email protected]ISH

Remove the fish to reply
--= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:34:09 +1000, suzyj
<[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

>The only thing ergos are good for is changing gear before a sprint.
>The old guys at racing with downtube levers are at a distinct
>disadvantage, as it's dead obvious they're about to go, while those
>with ergos can knock it up a few gears covertly without moving off the
>hoods.

Ever tried changing up a few gears with your right knee? There you are
with your downtube shifters, spinning along at the front of the bunch.
It's time for a sprint, so you stand up to go and your right knee hits
the shift lever. Takes a bit of practice and it only really works with
indexed systems.

--
Regards.
Richard.

"suzyj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> After being totally inspired by the story on Hero Bicycles, I've
> finished my touring frame in record time. That's two inside of a
> year!
>
> Anyway, cop a look at this:
>
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/frame/addendum.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy
>
> PS: The downtube shifters were originally for Hippy's benefit, but I
> quite like them, so reckon I'll leave them on.
> --
> suzyj

Love your work Suze.......pure genius. That completed frame is way
cool.........If you ever feel like expanding out into making oversize frames
for 195cm guys and need a rider to sponsor, then give me a call.

Ride On,

Gags

suzyj <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> After being totally inspired by the story on Hero Bicycles, I've
> finished my touring frame in record time. That's two inside of a
> year!
>
> Anyway, cop a look at this:
>
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/frame/addendum.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy
>
> PS: The downtube shifters were originally for Hippy's benefit, but I
> quite like them, so reckon I'll leave them on.

Suzyj... What magnificent work!!!

Lugs, Oh such sweet lugs.. and rack bosses that are solid, M5 and
all!! Not to mention the sweet dropouts, and the delicious detail on
that bridge. (Swooning in appreciation :)

Really top stuff!

So custom racks in Suzyj style I suspect?
Been for a ride on it yet?

And yes another person lining up here for a littlefish frame when we
twist your arm long enough for you to start building frames on
comission.

Tom

>NickZX6R
>> hippy wrote:
>> I might be getting hold of a new road machine soon (with
>> gears.. sorry guys ;-) ). I was even contemplating putting
>> Campag on it for a test.. but it's a bloody expensive test!!
>> so I'll stick with Shimano.
>>
>> http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=48
>
>u replacing the race bike?

Yep.

>are you getting a good deal for it or is it a model
>you specifically want?

Bit of both. I was lusting after the '03 model of the Team Soloist a
while ago and now I'm offered the '04 model cheap. I prefer the '03
paintjob but the '04 frame is slightly improved so I'll stick with that.

>Haven't ridden one of those but I rode a friend's
>P3 and that was good fun. Once you get them going
>they keep riding on their own :)

Yeah, these puppies are heavy, but I'm sure they slice through the air
well!! I've never ridden one but there's always a couple hanging up in my
LBS.

hippy

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:08:50 +1000, suzyj <[email protected]> Wrote :

> After being totally inspired by the story on Hero Bicycles, I've
> finished my touring frame in record time. That's two inside of a
> year!
>
> Anyway, cop a look at this:
>
> http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/frame/addendum.html

Mmmmmm nice. The bottom bracket is MUCH cleaner and neater than my
Old Grey Bike and that was done by one of the best (IMO) - George McDonald.

You wouldn't feel like building a 21.5" square, 71 deg. parallel New
Grey Bike would you ???

--

Humbug

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the compliments. Alas, Little Fish Bicycles is but a dream, for a goodly long time anyway, as I just don't think there's enough money in it to keep me in Campy bits.

In the meantime, I'll slave over a hot keyboard, designing obscure electronics stuff, and getting paid regularly to do so :)

Regards,

Suzy

hippy said:
Bit of both. I was lusting after the '03 model of the Team Soloist a
while ago and now I'm offered the '04 model cheap. I prefer the '03
paintjob but the '04 frame is slightly improved so I'll stick with that.

hippy

is that the cervelo Soloist?
"CLAES' was riding one on BR10 last Sunday!
Noice!
AND he beat my max speed down 'the hill' !!!!!!!
(altho my speedo was reading a big donut due to being loose on the mount. aaaarrrgghhh. I was sure i'd nailed it)
No fair.

flyingdutch said:
is that the cervelo Soloist?
"CLAES' was riding one on BR10 last Sunday!
Noice!
AND he beat my max speed down 'the hill' !!!!!!!
(altho my speedo was reading a big donut due to being loose on the mount. aaaarrrgghhh. I was sure i'd nailed it)
No fair.

Yep, Cervelo Team Soloist '04:
http://www.cervelo.com/bikes/SLTeam.html

Looks like I'm gonna have to get out there and give it another shot...
I don't think I even cracked 80kph last time.

hippy