Another one :(

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Feb 4, 2003.

  1. From BBC News Online

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2723349.stm

    "Man dies after falling off bike

    The man was pronounced dead on arrival at hospital

    A man has died after falling off of his bike in North Staffordshire. The accident happened just
    after 2300 GMT on Cheadle Road in Forsbrook. The man, who was in his 40s, was found on the pavement
    on Monday. A Staffordshire police spokesman said the man had fallen off his bike because of the icy
    weather conditions. He was taken to the North Staffordshire Hospital but was pronounced dead on
    arrival. Police are appealing for witnesses."

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    : From BBC News Online

    : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2723349.stm

    : "Man dies after falling off bike

    Is it just me, or would anyone else rather not know? We don't post everytime someone dies in a car
    accident, so why make us all paranoid by listing all the cycling deaths?

    Arthur

    Lord Lester

  3. "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : From BBC News Online
    >
    > : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2723349.stm
    >
    > : "Man dies after falling off bike
    >
    > Is it just me, or would anyone else rather not know? We don't post everytime someone dies in a car
    > accident, so why make us all paranoid by listing all the cycling deaths?
    >
    > Arthur
    >
    > --
    > Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org Power is delightful. Absolute power is absolutely delightful -
    > Lord Lester

    What's wrong with demonstrating sympathy for a fellow cyclist? Does it really make you paranoid?

    Michael MacClancy

  4. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : From BBC News Online
    >
    > : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2723349.stm
    >
    > : "Man dies after falling off bike
    >
    > Is it just me, or would anyone else rather not know? We don't post everytime someone dies in a car
    > accident, so why make us all paranoid by listing all the cycling deaths?

    Yeah, "Another one" - what does that mean .. ? Someone else died, someone else went out in
    unsuitable conditions, someone may have had eight pints of lager in them .... ?

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    <snip>
    > Police are appealing for witnesses."
    <snip>

    I'm more concerned about this bit.... It seems to imply that there could possibly have been
    witnesses to a man falling off his bike and dying, but not bothering to stop and provide assistance.
    Honestly, what is the world coming to ?
    - guess it could be witnesses to surrounding events, i.e - 'oh yeah, he'd just left the pub after
    sinking 8 pints' or ' saw a car being driven a little recklessly in his direction just after we'd
    passed him'...in which case, fair enough!. Dave.

  6. Simon Galgut

    Simon Galgut Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : From BBC News Online
    >
    > : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2723349.stm
    >
    > : "Man dies after falling off bike
    >
    > Is it just me, or would anyone else rather not know? We don't post everytime someone dies in a car
    > accident, so why make us all paranoid by listing all the cycling deaths?

    hear, hear

    There seems to be an unofficial competition amongst some of the respondents of URC to see who can
    post first the death of 'another' cyclist. Quick, lets scan 'news.bbc.co.uk' and see if there are
    any stories to post a link to.

    GIVE IT A REST

    Or post a link to every motorist / pedestrian / passenger who dies to give a more balanced view.

    Regards Simon

  7. It's hard to decide what to do in these circumstances a friend of mine was killed climbing a few
    years back, at the time I used to read rec uk climbing. I stopped however when some plonka posted a
    gore report, about said friend and the a thread started on the matter which I found very
    distasteful. What I did not like was not the reporting of an accident but the glee some of the
    posters seemed to take at a fatality. As if this confirmed their belonging to a macho danger sport
    elite. From my reading of this group this does not seem to be the case here but lines do seem to be
    drawn between cyclists deaths and the rest. My perspective is an untimely death is tragic however it
    occurs, nothing wrong with reporting it however any comment attached needs to be very carefully
    thought out.

    Mike

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:

    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2723349.stm

    > Is it just me, or would anyone else rather not know? We don't post everytime someone dies in a car
    > accident, so why make us all paranoid by listing all the cycling deaths?

    Hmmm. If someone is killed by a motor vehicle or other hazard, I like to know so I can watch out for
    trial reports and the like. Someone who takes a tumble on ice? Not so sure, but even then it's
    possibly worth it as a "heads up." Ah well.

    Maybe we should preface dead cyclist reports with "[fatality]" to spare the feelings of those who
    don't want to know.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  9. Simon Galgut

    Simon Galgut Guest

    > My *only* motive in relation to the story was contained in the "police appealing for witnesses" -
    > as we are a UK newsgroup - you never know. You
    will
    > note I only posted the link & the text - I made no comment, no moral
    judgement,
    > no comments about h*lm*ts or anything else.

    If we were cyclists who happened to be driving past at the time, we would ALL

    a) Stop
    b) Help
    c) Report it

    So how does your post help ??????

    > As for some sort of "competition" - I resent the slur.

    That's how it appears to the rest of us / some of us / me

    Regards Simon

  10. "Simon Galgut" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My *only* motive in relation to the story was contained in the "police appealing for witnesses"
    > > - as we are a UK newsgroup - you never know.
    You
    > will
    > > note I only posted the link & the text - I made no comment, no moral
    > judgement,
    > > no comments about h*lm*ts or anything else.
    >
    > If we were cyclists who happened to be driving past at the time, we would ALL
    >
    > a) Stop
    > b) Help
    > c) Report it
    >
    > So how does your post help ??????

    It's possible that a reader of this NG knows a non-cyclist who saw the incident but didn't report
    it. The reader could tell the non-cyclist that the police were looking for witnesses. I can also
    well imagine that some cyclists (hopefully not readers of this NG) would not always as charitably as
    you suggest.

    > > As for some sort of "competition" - I resent the slur.
    > >

    > That's how it appears to the rest of us / some of us / me

    It's not possible to circle my choice in your list above but it's not how it appears to me.

    > Regards Simon

    Michael MacClancy

  11. Fortyeight16

    Fortyeight16 Guest

    "Simon Galgut" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Is it just me, or would anyone else rather not know? We don't post everytime someone dies in a
    > > car accident, so why make us all paranoid by listing all the cycling deaths?
    > >

    > hear, hear
    >
    > There seems to be an unofficial competition amongst some of the
    respondents
    > of URC to see who can post first the death of 'another' cyclist. Quick,
    lets
    > scan 'news.bbc.co.uk' and see if there are any stories to post a link to.
    >
    > GIVE IT A REST

    Personally, I'll start to get worried when cyclist's deaths are so commonplace that nobody bothers
    to comment on them anymore.

  12. "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> writes:

    >wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

    >: "Man dies after falling off bike

    >Is it just me, or would anyone else rather not know? We don't post everytime someone dies in a car
    >accident, so why make us all paranoid by listing all the cycling deaths?

    Because unlike car deaths, cycling is so safe they happen so rarely as to be interesting :)
    --
    Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 650 3085 School of Artificial Intelligence, Division of
    Informatics Edinburgh University, 5 Forrest Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 2QL, UK

  13. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : From BBC News Online
    >
    > : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2723349.stm
    >
    > : "Man dies after falling off bike
    >
    > Is it just me, or would anyone else rather not know? We don't post everytime someone dies in a car
    > accident, so why make us all paranoid by listing all the cycling deaths?

    I think it's useful. Firstly, by studying the circumstances by which the rider got killed makes me
    more aware of the dangers out there. I also think it's good to pause and reflect on how precious
    life is. You might think it's mawkish, but I often ride to the site of a cycling fatality to look
    at the flowers and pause to think.
    --
    Simon

  14. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "michael keily" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's hard to decide what to do in these circumstances a friend of mine was killed climbing a few
    > years back, at the time I used to read rec uk climbing. I stopped however when some plonka posted
    > a gore report, about said friend and the a thread started on the matter which I found very
    > distasteful. What I did not like was not the reporting of an accident but the glee some of the
    > posters seemed to take at a fatality. As if this confirmed their belonging to a macho danger sport
    > elite. From my reading
    of
    > this group this does not seem to be the case here but lines do seem to be drawn between cyclists
    > deaths and the rest. My perspective is an untimely death is tragic however it occurs, nothing
    > wrong with reporting it however any comment attached needs to be very carefully thought out.
    >

    > Mike

    Well, I guess I agree. It's sad to hear about it, and i've just heard on Sky news that postman was
    found dead in North Wales. He was on his rounds this morning and found next to his cycle with head
    injuries. I think they said it is a murder enquiry.

  15. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    >"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> : From BBC News Online
    >>
    >> : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2723349.stm
    >>
    >> : "Man dies after falling off bike
    >>
    >> Is it just me, or would anyone else rather not know? We don't post everytime someone dies in a
    >> car accident, so why make us all paranoid by listing all the cycling deaths?
    >>

    >hear, hear
    >
    >There seems to be an unofficial competition amongst some of the respondents of URC to see who can
    >post first the death of 'another' cyclist. Quick, lets scan 'news.bbc.co.uk' and see if there are
    >any stories to post a link to.
    >
    >GIVE IT A REST
    >
    >Or post a link to every motorist / pedestrian / passenger who dies to give a more balanced view.

    This is a cycling news group. If news about cyclists is to be censored here what will be left?
    --
    remove remove to reply

  16. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "chris French" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In message <TKO%[email protected]>, Dave <[email protected]> writes
    > ><snip>
    > >> Police are appealing for witnesses."
    > ><snip>
    > >
    > >I'm more concerned about this bit.... It seems to imply that there could possibly have been
    > >witnesses to a man falling off his bike and dying, but not bothering to stop and provide
    > >assistance. Honestly, what is the world coming to ?
    > >- guess it could be witnesses to surrounding events, i.e - 'oh yeah, he'd just left the pub after
    > > sinking 8 pints' or ' saw a car being driven a little recklessly in his direction just after
    > > we'd passed him'...in which case, fair enough!.
    >
    > Yep, there is that.
    >
    > Or sadly, they may have been sacred to assist. A friend of a friend was mugged when they stopped
    > to help someone who had apparently slipped and fallen and injured their leg or somesuch, when he
    > stopped and bent down to help two other people appeared, took what they could and then all three
    > legged it from the scene.
    >
    > --
    > Chris French, Leeds

    Jeeez!!, I'll just get me uzi!!

  17. Gonzalez wrote:

    > This is a cycling news group. If news about cyclists is to be censored here what will be left?

    Define 'censored'. I'm using a different definition.

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Is it just me, or would anyone else rather not know? We don't post everytime someone dies in a car
    > accident, so why make us all paranoid by listing all the cycling deaths?

    I'm with you on this. First there would need to be a post every two to three days to keep up. Second
    it focusses everyone on the dangers of cycling when its actually a very safe activity. Concentrating
    on the very small risk does nothing but put people off cycling.

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  19. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Gonzalez wrote:
    > >
    > > This is a cycling news group. If news about cyclists is to be censored here what will be left?
    >
    > Define 'censored'. I'm using a different definition.

    I'd have assumed ' new rule - no cyclist death reports to be posted here' as censorship...what can
    and can't be communicated within a defined environment...no?

  20. > Is it just me, or would anyone else rather not know? We don't post everytime someone dies in a car
    > accident, so why make us all paranoid by listing all the cycling deaths?

    I'd personally rather know *all* the *potential* dangers in *any* activity I take part in. If you
    don't want to read the crash reports, then don't read them!

    Individual reports of incidents (many of which occur in places miles away from my home) certainly
    *don't* make me paranoid - any more than reading the reports on people getting electric shocks would
    make me frightened to wire up a plug or the mains distribution to my friends' recording studio.

    What these reports *do* do is:

    1. Alert people to dangerous situations in certain areas.

    2. Make people think of their *own* personal safety whilst cycling - this is *not* the same
    as paranoia!

    3. In some cases, they may publicise a case the Police wish to investigate further, and these
    reports could potentially encourage further witnesses to come forward.

    If you came to my city for a ride, and there was a bad turning where people had come off or been
    involvedf in collisions, a place where the road always iced up, or a dodgy part of town where thugs
    would knock you on the head for your bike (or just for fun), I would consider it to be my *duty* as
    a citizen to warn you of these potential dangers. That is all I think people are trying to do here,
    not be "macho" or frighten anyone!

    Anyway if we listed all the *car* accident victims there wouldn't be much space for anything else.
    In my area (Thames Valley) it seems that driving is far more dangerous than cycling anyway!

    Alex