Another OT posting

Just Zis Guy

Guest
Friends, I crave your indulgence. I have been told I'm a bike bigot and anti-car. By way of rebuttal
I offer the following evidence that not only am I interested in cars, I can be positively
sentimental about them. An homage, then, to my first ever car - the vehicle which transported my
beloved Galaxy to its final resting place and whose birthday, February 19, was the formal
commencement of my relationship with the woman who is even now sitting on the sofa glowering at me
for writing such tosh.

<http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/Harold_the_Barrel>

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> Friends, I crave your indulgence. I have been told I'm a bike bigot and anti-car.

You haven't been over to uk.tosspot and again admitted you have a bike and once rode it have you?

John B

On Sun, 18 May 2003 22:26:45 +0100, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

>You haven't been over to uk.tosspot and again admitted you have a bike and once rode it have you?

Nah - I never go there any more. It's a bit like a traffic wardens' convention, only the
conversation is less scintillating.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

It is proved. With a vehicle like that, you are indeed, anti-car.

No wonder your lady glowers at you. Fancy turning up for a date in *that*!

All I can say is she must have fancied you very, very much. Either that or you've been witholding
her medications ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

On Sun, 18 May 2003 22:06:33 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Friends, I crave your indulgence. I have been told I'm a bike bigot and anti-car.

In all seriousness, by whom?

You may be, but that doesn't mean you are incapable of empathy towards the mindset of the 'evil
cager' :)

I'd see a bigot who is short-sighted, narrow-minded, closed-off, and...err...well, just bigoted, I
guess. Putting your 'Bent Obsession' aside, I don't get that feeling from you.

I see you as a person who yearns common sense on both sides, only then will you be able to sleep
peacefully at night :)

bob

On Mon, 19 May 2003 00:34:01 +0100, Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:

>I see you as a person who yearns common sense on both sides, only then will you be able to sleep
>peacefully at night :)

Kind words, and disturbingly close to the truth. In my secret identity of Captain Consensus...

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
> It is proved. With a vehicle like that, you are indeed, anti-car.

It's not the Mini van which worries me, though, but rather the V*lv* in the background...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

In message <[email protected]>, Dave Larrington <[email protected]> writes
>wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
>> It is proved. With a vehicle like that, you are indeed, anti-car.
>
>It's not the Mini van which worries me, though, but rather the V*lv* in the background...

You can create vividly different mental images from this statement depending on whether you replace
the *'s with 'o' and 'o', 'a' and 'e' or, indeed, 'u' and 'a'.
--
Michael MacClancy

On Tue, 20 May 2003 15:06:57 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It's not the Mini van which worries me, though, but rather the V*lv* in the background...

First of five, two 340s, a 360GLT, a 945GLE and a V70 2.5 20v SE, which sadly had to go back when
I left Tyco. As a tall bloke wth a low tolerance for mechanical failures and rust they suit me
nicely :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> Kind words, and disturbingly close to the truth. In my secret identity of Captain Consensus...

Captain Consensus? So is that your excuse for wearing your underpants outside your b*b sh*rts and
stripping off in telephone boxes? :)

have fun!

Graeme

On 21 May 2003 06:00:45 -0700, [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote:

>Noticed you mentioned that the guy who did some of the welding had also worked on The Italian Job
>(a particular favourite of mine) - any related anecdotes to share?

Not really. He bought one of the Fiat police cars and had to paint out Polizia or whatever, as I
recall - and he seemed to know quite a bit about welding Minis :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Not really. He bought one of the Fiat police cars and had to paint out Polizia or whatever, as I
> recall - and he seemed to know quite a bit about welding Minis :)

Fiats? FIATS?? They were Alfas!!

Dave Larrington Pedant and Tifoso

On Fri, 23 May 2003 10:13:34 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Fiats? FIATS?? They were Alfas!!

The only big (>500) Fiats I recall are the 130 saloons with the Mafia in and the 124 A-series coupe
that falls off the top of the car transporter.

On Fri, 23 May 2003 10:13:34 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Fiats? FIATS?? They were Alfas!!

****. I know the coach was a Harrington Legionnaire, though, bet you didn't know *that*.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Andy Dingley <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Fri, 23 May 2003 10:13:34 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Fiats? FIATS?? They were Alfas!!
>
> The only big (>500) Fiats I recall are the 130 saloons with the Mafia in and the 124 A-series
> coupe that falls off the top of the car transporter.

Don't remember any Fiats falling of the transporter in that scene; most memorable bit is when an
Austin Cambridge lands on the chief of police's car!

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

news:<[email protected]>...

> ****. I know the coach was a Harrington Legionnaire, though, bet you didn't know *that*.

Surely you mean "not a lot of people know that"? ;-) Mind you, Michael Caine never actually said
that - it was a myth put about by Peter Sellers. As it happens, I did know about the coach, having
seen Channel 4's excellent "The Mini Job" documentary (which also appears on some editions of the
video & DVD of the film itself).

On 26 May 2003 05:15:46 -0700, [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote:

>Don't remember any Fiats falling of the transporter in that scene; most memorable bit is when an
>Austin Cambridge lands on the chief of police's car!

David

Many moons ago, when I used to live near Guildford, my local pub's landlord's car was hit by a
Chinook helicopter that had fallen off a low-loader lorry. I wish I'd been a fly on the wall in his
car insurance office.

James

On Tue, 20 May 2003 15:06:57 +0100, contributor Dave Larrington had scribed:
> It's not the Mini van which worries me, though, but rather the V*lv* in the background...

Don't worry it's only a 340 (Renault engine) and latterly made in the Netherlands.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

On Tue, 20 May 2003 20:15:57 +0100, contributor You know? Just zis Guy had scribed:
> First of five, two 340s, a 360GLT, a 945GLE and a V70 2.5 20v SE

You beat me to it, only three, two 340s (1.4 DL and 1.7 GL) and a 850
2. 20v SE

Gary