Another pair down, Helen

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Huw Pritchard, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Just had a very pleasant couple of hours riding some of the local trails, no injuries apart from a
    couple of scratches from the brambles down there. Riding home along the Swansea seafront, go to
    turn off to continue the ride home, I hit a patch of sand on the cycle track and the bike washed
    out from under me.

    I've got two small grazes just below my left knee, and a huge bruise/graze that's only just covered
    by a 10cm dressing on my bum. The worst part is that I managed to ruin a perfectly good pair of
    bibshorts in the process.

    You've not been out in Swansea today, have you Helen?

    Still on the plus side, I was barrelling down the lane to the back of my house just now (whincing
    slightly with the pain coming from my arse) and got invited by the local kids to try out the ramp
    they'd built outside my back gate.

    Huw "23 going on 12" Pritchard

    Tags:

  2. >I've got two small grazes just below my left knee, and a huge bruise/graze that's only just covered
    >by a 10cm dressing on my bum. The worst part is that I managed to ruin a perfectly good pair of
    >bibshorts in the process.
    >
    >You've not been out in Swansea today, have you Helen?

    Obviously it was a PSF apprentice based in Wales who did this, Huw. I wasn't personally in Swansea,
    as I was in deepest rural Suffolk, with the offspring as he was doing the GHS. He's off to the
    national final in September as his team got the 1st place team. The fact that his club was the only
    club with enough youngsters riding to be called a team and for them all to get round successfully is
    neither here nor there ;-) The national final in September will be a good experience and fun for
    them I think.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Andyk

    Andyk Guest

    > Just had a very pleasant couple of hours riding some of the local trails, no injuries apart from a
    > couple of scratches from the brambles down there. Riding home along the Swansea seafront, go to
    > turn off to continue the ride home, I hit a patch of sand on the cycle track and the bike washed
    > out from under me.
    >
    > I've got two small grazes just below my left knee, and a huge bruise/graze that's only just
    > covered by a 10cm dressing on my bum. The worst part is that I managed to ruin a perfectly good
    > pair of bibshorts in the process.
    >
    > You've not been out in Swansea today, have you Helen?
    >
    > Still on the plus side, I was barrelling down the lane to the back of my house just now (whincing
    > slightly with the pain coming from my arse) and got invited by the local kids to try out the ramp
    > they'd built outside my back gate.
    >
    > Huw "23 going on 12" Pritchard

    So, did you try the ramp? On getting home you could have used this as an excuse for the injuries.
    (just in case yoiu neeed a reason...)

  4. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

  5. On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:34:15 +0100, AndyK did issue forth:

    > So, did you try the ramp? On getting home you could have used this as an excuse for the injuries.
    > (just in case yoiu neeed a reason...)

    Hell, yes. Over the ramp, grab a handful of brake and go into a nice rear wheel skid to stop
    right outside my back gate. Sure, it wears your tyres out and serves no real purpose, but it was
    kinda fun.

    As for the excuse, anyone who asked got told the truth. There's something appealing about supposedly
    being a responsible adult and falling off a bike. Most people assume it's something you
    automatically stop doing around seven years old and that if you're any older than, say, 14 then
    you've got no business being on the bike in the first place, let alone falling off one.

    Huw "My bum really hurts today" Pritchard

  6. Andyk

    Andyk Guest

    > As for the excuse, anyone who asked got told the truth. There's something appealing about
    > supposedly being a responsible adult and falling off a bike. Most people assume it's something you
    > automatically stop doing around seven years old and that if you're any older than, say, 14 then
    > you've got no business being on the bike in the first place, let alone falling off one.
    >
    > Huw "My bum really hurts today" Pritchard

    Heh - arrived at work one day (many years back), with a weird double scar - more like two parallel
    scratches/cuts - on the side of my face. The boss asked if I'd crashed my bike again (I might have
    earled something of a reputation then). I had to admit, no, I'd nicked myself shaving with a
    twin-blade razor, what a fool :)

  7. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Huw Pritchard wrote:

    > Still on the plus side, I was barrelling down the lane to the back of my house just now (whincing
    > slightly with the pain coming from my arse) and got invited by the local kids to try out the ramp
    > they'd built outside my back gate.

    I was orienteering up on Kinnoul Hill (overlooking Perth) last week, and at one point was
    criss-crossing the MTB trails that the local mad bastards have "enhanced". I must say I'm in awe of
    the folk (usually in their teens and male, in full face helmets and on full sus bikes, both items
    appear to be entirely sensible, if that's the right word) who can make proper use of these. Scared
    me, and I was on foot!

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  8. On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:23:45 +0100, Peter Clinch did issue forth:

    > I was orienteering up on Kinnoul Hill (overlooking Perth) last week, and at one point was
    > criss-crossing the MTB trails that the local mad bastards have "enhanced". I must say I'm in awe
    > of the folk (usually in their teens and male, in full face helmets and on full sus bikes, both
    > items appear to be entirely sensible, if that's the right word) who can make proper use of these.
    > Scared me, and I was on foot!

    Nah, not really my thing. This was one of the couple of bits of wood resting on some bricks
    type of ramp.

    I had a go on some dirt jumps once, and ended up lying flat on my back, bike in the air, feeling
    very silly indeed. I'm sticking to XC, much more my cup of tea.

    Huw "I suppose I'm just jealous anyway" Pritchard