Another Phil-ism

scotty72

New Member
Jul 10, 2005
Tonight, as Floyd Landis' group of 4 were sprinting down the Col des Aravis, Phil commented that the 4 were decending hard and spreading out.

Switch to a shot of the Peloton and Phil comments that this group was decending in a much more tidy, relaxed group, sticking together.

Good commentary except that the Peloton was still about 1 km from the summit, up out of the saddle on the hoods, straining with all their might to reach the top.

Even my untrained eye could spot the difference between a cyclist tearing down a hill at 80 kms and another struggling up at 15...

Poor Phil

Scotty

scotty72 wrote:
> Tonight, as Floyd Landis' group of 4 were sprinting down the Col des
> Aravis, Phil commented that the 4 were decending hard and spreading
> out.
>
> Switch to a shot of the Peloton and Phil comments that this group was
> decending in a much more tidy, relaxed group, sticking together.
>
> Good commentary except that the Peloton was still about 1 km from the
> summit, up out of the saddle on the hoods, straining with all their
> might to reach the top.
>
> Even my untrained eye could spot the difference between a cyclist
> tearing down a hill at 80 kms and another struggling up at 15...
>
> Poor Phil
>
> Scotty
>

> --
> scotty72

And now he's gone into superlative overdrive (mention of Merckx,
Hinault and Fignon in the same sentence is a dead giveaway) with Paul
egging him on as Landis makes GPLama's T-Shirt look a bit silly. Don't
you agree, Mr General Purpose Tibetan Religious figure/wooly quadruped?
;)

MH

Hehe

Both of them are on the agro pills

The usual talk of attacks is being replaced with words like

assassination
asphyxiation
murder
strangling
causing carnage

Geez, I thought they were commentating an SAS raid for a minute.

and how many times has he(or Paul?) called another rider "Landis".

Aeek said:
and how many times has he(or Paul?) called another rider "Landis".

I keep doing the same thing... and Im not even under pressure commentating ;)

hippy

PHP:
Aeek said:
and how many times has he(or Paul?) called another rider "Landis".
PHP:
and how many times did they both call Landis "Robbie" when they were talking to Floyd's coach, Robbie ????

The night before we had a classic Paul-ism.

Something along the lines of "back in the yellow jersey's group are a
number of riders including the yellow jersey"

DaveB

Aeek wrote:
> and how many times has he(or Paul?) called another rider "Landis".

or mixing up Leipheimer with Landis on Stage 16 ...

Personally, I like their use of the name "Flandis" ...

petulance wrote:
> Aeek wrote:
> > and how many times has he(or Paul?) called another rider "Landis".

> or mixing up Leipheimer with Landis on Stage 16 ...
>
> Personally, I like their use of the name "Flandis" ...

Morphing into Flanders any time soon ... :)

DaveB said:
The night before we had a classic Paul-ism.

Something along the lines of "back in the yellow jersey's group are a
number of riders including the yellow jersey"

There was another one on the last climb that went something like "he's taken this tour and torn it upside down & inside out". Or something. :confused:

cfsmtb wrote:
> DaveB Wrote:
> > The night before we had a classic Paul-ism.
> >
> > Something along the lines of "back in the yellow jersey's group are a
> > number of riders including the yellow jersey"

> There was another one on the last climb that went something like "he's
> taken this tour and torn it upside down & inside out". Or something.
> :confused:
>

> --
> cfsmtb

Let me just Google "Liggettisms" . . .

Here are a collected few.

* and Bo Hamburger is, I dare to say it, fried.
* He's crazy. He's always been crazy. And what on EARTH is he
doing?
* Hinault... is he a superman or a fool
* Are they on the road to stardom, or are they lambs to the
slaughter?
* He's dancing on his pedals in a most immodest way!
* There's no reason to rush into hell.
* Once you pull on that golden fleece, you become two men.
* And Brian, I think Sean Kelly told Fignon in broad Irish exactly
what he thought of that idea
* Though he's bald, he's only 23 years old!
* The fox is in the hen house now
* Zabel, Zabel, Zabel, Zabel, Zabel
* The pirate is about to board the ship
* And again they are crossing swords at the front
* To wear the yellow jersey is to mingle with the gods of cycling
* Don't look back. You know what's going on back there because you
just left
* Here he comes from out of nowhere, that little man in the Green
jersey, Abdoujaparov!

I don't think Paul Sherwen thinks in quite the same curly way as Phil.

MH

Tonight (Fri)

Camera Pans to a T-Mobile Rider

Phil says, "...and he is really struggling here and losing ground to the main field... looks like he's giving up... No, wait, he's leading..."

On 2006-07-21, [email protected] (aka Bruce)
> Let me just Google "Liggettisms" . . .
>
> Here are a collected few.
>
> * and Bo Hamburger is, I dare to say it, fried.
> * He's crazy. He's always been crazy. And what on EARTH is he
> doing?
> * Hinault... is he a superman or a fool
> * Are they on the road to stardom, or are they lambs to the
> slaughter?
> * He's dancing on his pedals in a most immodest way!
> * There's no reason to rush into hell.
> * Once you pull on that golden fleece, you become two men.
> * And Brian, I think Sean Kelly told Fignon in broad Irish exactly
> what he thought of that idea
> * Though he's bald, he's only 23 years old!
> * The fox is in the hen house now
> * Zabel, Zabel, Zabel, Zabel, Zabel
> * The pirate is about to board the ship
> * And again they are crossing swords at the front
> * To wear the yellow jersey is to mingle with the gods of cycling
> * Don't look back. You know what's going on back there because you
> just left
> * Here he comes from out of nowhere, that little man in the Green
> jersey, Abdoujaparov!
>
> I don't think Paul Sherwen thinks in quite the same curly way as Phil.

He's very poetic:
http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200407/phil_liggett_paul_sherwen_1.html

(can't remember whether I posted this, or just blogged it)

--
TimC
Just because they are called 'forbidden' transitions does not mean

On 2006-07-21, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

> Ditto the now classic -"he leapt across that gap like a scalded cat"-
>
> Found this thread from last year .. recall those mirth-inducing moments
> .. ?
> http://cyclingforums.com/t263693-commentary-follie.html

possible spoiler:

Now that the leading group has split up so badly, I think I just
heard:

"You can throw a blanket over all 15 leaders now."

--
TimC
Usage: fortune -P [-f] -a [xsz] Q: file [rKe9] -v6[+] file1 ...

someone downloaded "timeaftertime.mid" for the ending credits... the whole SBS production was not as good as last year.. but no cricket this year was good! :)

Tomarseless must have been popping e's at the speed he was talking at the end...

gplama said:
Tomarseless must have been popping e's at the speed he was talking at the end...

pffffffffffff .. Sherwin was definitely dropping a whole fruit tingle by the conclusion