Another poll: best TdF climber

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Tuschinski, Feb 8, 2004.

1. winnezele

winnezele New Member

I am Belgian, bit I do no watch cycling patrioticaly. The poll of the best TDF-climber is totally wrong. Nor Armstrong, nor Pantani are the best. Pantini was full of epo and I have serously my doubts about Armstrong. I saw him riding The tour of Flanders before his cancer, sweating, his mouth opened totally. Some years later he 's just like e robot. Just like Indurain he was pepaired medically. he just can't win a race in spring or autum. That's not normal. he was beaten in the Dauphiné in TT by Mayo. In July he will be very good.
    Any questions about that?????????????

2. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

As if the Americans put a headlock on all the other riders to hold them back from other events throughout the year. That's a good one. :D

3. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

As for emerging talent, I don't think Mayo has had his day in the sun in the Tour de France yet. I would be afraid to wager on him for GC because I don't have faith in his flat TT ability, although I think he will still probably place high in GC, but I do have a feeling he may do astoundingly well in the mountains, especially if he keeps riding as he very recently has. And watch out in the Alpe d'Huez time trial.

It may be that after the 2004 TdF, Mayo will begin to be considered against the greats. Notice his name is not on the poll.

4. Le_cannibale

Le_cannibale New Member

First of all, not all Americans are ignorant to the things going on outside of the United States. Many people in the United States were not able to watch cycling until recently because of lack of interest. I made a post before you started your rant about Americans being stupid. Well, I said that Gaul was the greatest climber of all time because of how he has been described by many commentators and websites. Since Charly Gaul was long before my time, I could not have said that with out a little looking around.

I don't recall your specifying whom you think is the greatest climber of all time.

I'm glad you pointed out "King Eddy" but why not Anquetil. Did cycling begin with Eddy Merckx? Certainly not, it began with Maurice Garand in 1903 when he raced around France and won what is the hardest sporting event in the world.

5. dennis dee

dennis dee New Member

In the 30s (cycling historians will confirm this), the best and revered cyclists in Europe were Americans.

6. iBanesto

iBanesto New Member

How about Ocana? He was good!

7. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

I know my fair share... Thanks.

You'd like it to be free of Americans too, I bet... Jealous that we can compete in a sport thought to be purely European?

8. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Okay, people, please correct me if I'm wrong, but in Lance's 'pre-cancer' days he really had no formal training. he just went balls out, not thinking about strategy. Thus, he burned himself out a lot. He never really had any set goals

Read his book(s).

He has matured, after cancer he was able to build his body to a cyclist's perfection. Focus and training goes a long way...He rides everywhere, sleeps in altitude tents (whatever they are called) and he trains year round.

*Lost my train of thought*

9. rejobako

rejobako New Member

What was the lazy sod doing for those other three months? Thanks for ruining my idolotry of Merckx. :(

10. sopas

sopas New Member

Yeah, me too. Bahamontes was the first rider to win the polka dot jersey 6 times. He also won the TdF on 1959 I think.

11. sopas

sopas New Member

What do yo mean by saying: "Just like Indurain he was pepaired medically".

12. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

It's called cycling your training mileage and peak performance. In swimming, it is typically called a "taper".

How do you know he didn't have cancer already during the Tour of Flanders but that it had not yet been diagnosed?

13. izzodesh

izzodesh New Member

i would have thought impe or pantanni...but lance today owned everyone...
    it was hard to belive those turns were even uphill!

14. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Lance is now the only rider in the history of the Tour de France to win 4 mountain stages in a row.

15. winnezele

winnezele New Member

Lance is not riding pure. The accusations made by Lemond is what I have been saying for years now. He can only win in july, in june he loses two minutes on Mayo in TT Dauphiné. Hinault, Marckx, Fignon were sweating while climbing, they were breathing very hard, you could se they were in pain. Armstrong doesn(t seem to breath, is never sweating and he almost laughs while climbing. i sure hope that this will be proved in the near future, especially for all the others riders who tried to follow this ghost. I really think it's a shame to abuse cancer for this.

16. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I was at Alpe D'Huez and Guzet Neige in 1995.
    Pantani won both stages and was blasting.
    I was there to see Miguel Indurain : on both days, he was blasting but he
    was breathing heavily which is normal.
    he was breathing so heavily, that you could see his torso expand and contradict like a bellows as he was climbing both climbs.
    His mouth was wide open and his rib cage flexing was clearly visible.

I have seen none of this with Armstrong isnce his return in 1999.

17. sopas

sopas New Member

What are you traying to tell us?

18. cleff

cleff New Member

I'm a beginner to biking, so I don't know much about bike racing, but I have a some experience with competitive cross country and track running. If someone looks like they're struggling a lot during a foot race, then you know that they're in trouble. I think the same is probably true in cycling. If you're huffing, puffing, and wheezing, and moving your body around a lot, you're wasting a lot of energy, and probably not breathing as economically as you could be. Well, that's what my short experience as a bike rider has told me.

Also, it seems like he sweats just as much as everyone else to me. It seems like you've already made up your decision, and that could lead you to see what you want to see, but maybe I'm doing the same. I don't deny that it's possible for him to be doping, I just hope he's not.

19. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

The best climber in this year's Tour de France is not the KOM winner. As Van Impe commented, the best climber in this year's Tour is Lance Armstrong, not Richard Virenque.

20. Tuschinski

Tuschinski New Member

I agree (who can't?) that Lance can climb a mountain fastest ofthem all, but Virenque makes the list because of those 7 (!) polka dots.

Those who say Lance doesn't belong on the list should also take a reality pill, as he is the only one of the big TdF winners who depends mostly on climbing. All others (Anquetil, Indurain, Hinault, Lemond,) revolved their GC around their phenomenal TT.

And that is not because I am a Lance fan (I am not, I prefer JU by far)

Altough I might have missed a few greats, I believe the only ones on this list who might be undeserving are Herrera and Pantani (and that is a might be) as in the end their palmares are not big enough.

That said, there should be room for the first Colombian KOM and the phenomenal climbing animal Pantani.