Another PT rim question

yawg

Dec 24, 2003
I'm trying to spec a PT Pro wheel. Here's what I have so far.

PT Pro
Rim - Velocity Deep V Rim
Spokes - Sapim Race Double butted
Spoke Count - 28
Spoke Pattern - 3 cross

Some background and questions. My weight averages in the upper 160's low 170's, could I go with a 24 count Deep V rim or should I stick with the 28?

Does the Deep V have enough aero benefits to justify the weight or should I go with something like aerohead or open pro rim and 32 spokes? I can't afford the zipp or hed route for a true aero rim.

Is there any benefit to a 2 cross pattern vs the 3 cross pattern?

This wheel will be used for training and racing. I plan on getting a wheel cover for time trials and duathlons.

Thanks,

greg

1) Normally 24 spokes would certainly hold your weight. Cycle-Ops seems to want the PT wheels to be built a little sturdier than normal, however. (see #3 below)
2) if you're going to use wheel covers, then why worry about the aero characteristics of the wheel? I honestly can't imagine a deep-V making much of a difference in a crit or RR, but I could be wrong there.
3) 3x lacing is recommended by the manufacture because of the "unique way that torque is transferred by the hub to the non-pulling side of the wheel." Not sure what that means except that Cycle-Ops recommends 3x lacing.

FWIW, I think that Zipp says that their 404s save 1-4w compared with their standard wheels. That gives you at least a straw man for the benefits of a state-of-the-art aero wheel (non-disc).