Another puncture

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Mason

Simon Mason Guest

At 0700 on the way to work green glass through the front Specialized Nimbus. That's two in a year
    for that tyre so I'm taking it off and fitting a new Continental Contact to see how that fares. Once
    I've lost faith in a tyre that's it!

Rear Schwalbe Marathon - no punctures yet. Could be the "perfect" tyre if it lasts a year on the
    glass infested track I use.

Other tyres that have punctured in the last two years are: Panaracer 737-- several Vredestein
    Spider - One Hutchinson Globetrotter - tyre wall split after 3 weeks.

Simon Mason

Tags:

2. Adam Dugmore

Adam Dugmore Guest

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > At 0700 on the way to work green glass through the front Specialized Nimbus. That's two in a year
    > for that tyre so I'm taking it off and fitting a new Continental Contact to see how that fares.
    > Once I've lost faith in a tyre that's it!
    >
    > Rear Schwalbe Marathon - no punctures yet. Could be the "perfect" tyre if it lasts a year on the
    > glass infested track I use.
    >
    > Other tyres that have punctured in the last two years are: Panaracer 737-- several Vredestein
    > Spider - One Hutchinson Globetrotter - tyre wall split after 3 weeks.
    >
    > Simon Mason

Two punctures in a year? That's hardly a record to complain about, especially given the "glass
    infested track" you use.

Was it the Flak Jacket or Armadillo version? They're pretty resistant.

3. Simon Mason

Simon Mason Guest

"Adam Dugmore" <[email protected]_AND_DIEbtinternet.com> wrote in message
    >
    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > At 0700 on the way to work green glass through the front Specialized Nimbus. That's two in a
    > > year for that tyre so I'm taking it off and fitting a new Continental Contact to see how that
    > > fares. Once I've lost faith in a tyre that's it!
    > >
    > > Rear Schwalbe Marathon - no punctures yet. Could be the "perfect" tyre if it lasts a year on
    > > the glass infested track I use.
    > >
    > > Other tyres that have punctured in the last two years are: Panaracer 737-- several Vredestein
    > > Spider - One Hutchinson Globetrotter - tyre wall split after 3 weeks.
    > >
    > > Simon Mason
    >
    > Two punctures in a year? That's hardly a record to complain about, especially given the "glass
    > infested track" you use.
    >
    > Was it the Flak Jacket or Armadillo version? They're pretty resistant.

Just the bog standard Nimbus. I know it is harsh on the tyre but I am engaged in an experiment to
    find the "perfect" tyre. I am running different tyres on either wheel and when one gets a puncture,
    I replace it with a different make in the hope that I'll get to the stage when the punctures no
    longer happen, or I die, whichever is the sooner.
    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

4. Call Me Bob

Call Me Bob Guest

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 19:39:53 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just the bog standard Nimbus. I know it is harsh on the tyre but I am engaged in an experiment to
    > find the "perfect" tyre. I am running different tyres on either wheel and when one gets a
    > puncture, I replace it with a different make

What are you doing with the cast off tyres?

Bob
    --
    Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage

5. Simon Mason

Simon Mason Guest

"Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 19:39:53 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Just the bog standard Nimbus. I know it is harsh on the tyre but I am engaged in an experiment
    > > to find the "perfect" tyre. I am running
    different
    > >tyres on either wheel and when one gets a puncture, I replace it with a different make
    >
    > What are you doing with the cast off tyres?

Saving them in case it turns out at the end of the experiment that they *really were* the best all
    along :) Except for the Hutchinson obviously, as that had a 4 inch split in it which meant I had a
    4 mile walk. I think I chucked that far away.
    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

6. Simon Hay

Simon Hay Guest

Simon Mason wrote:

> Rear Schwalbe Marathon - no punctures yet. Could be the "perfect" tyre if it lasts a year on the
    > glass infested track I use.

Mm. I got fed up with near-constant punctures with the Halfords ultra-cheap-and-crap tyres I used
    to have on my general hack 27" wheel bike (which were beginning to fall apart anyway after a
    couple of months...) and replaced them with Marathons, which have thus far been absolutely
    great. Apart from one puncture (the day I fitted it!) when I ran over the world's biggest bit
    of broken glass I've been fine, and I've gone through all sorts of nasty stuff where I thought,
    that has to have punctured it, and been pleasantly surprised... Cost a fair bit but worth it.

Simon

7. Simon Mason

Simon Mason Guest

"Simon Hay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Simon Mason wrote:
    >
    > > Rear Schwalbe Marathon - no punctures yet. Could be the "perfect" tyre if it lasts a year on
    > > the glass infested track I use.
    >
    > Mm. I got fed up with near-constant punctures with the Halfords ultra-cheap-and-crap tyres I used
    > to have on my general hack 27" wheel bike (which were beginning to fall apart anyway after a
    > couple of months...) and replaced them with Marathons, which have thus far been absolutely
    > great. Apart from one puncture (the day I fitted it!) when I ran over the world's biggest bit
    > of broken glass I've been fine, and I've gone through all sorts of nasty stuff where I
    > thought, that has to have punctured it, and been pleasantly surprised... Cost a fair bit but
    > worth it.

I was in my LBS today after my rear brake cable snapped getting a new one. In front of the counter
    was a batch of *puncture proof* Schwalbe MTB tyres. I can imagine the number of "I want my money
    back" complaints when they get a nail or drawing pin through them.
    --

8. Tony Raven

Tony Raven Guest

Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > I was in my LBS today after my rear brake cable snapped getting a new one. In front of the
    > counter was a batch of *puncture proof* Schwalbe MTB tyres. I can imagine the number of "I want
    > my money back" complaints when they get a nail or drawing pin through them.

Surprised they said puncture proof and not that weasel getout phrase "puncture resistant"

Tony
    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

9. Richard M

Richard M Guest

On 8 Mar 2003 03:24:59 -0800, [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote:

> Other tyres that have punctured in the last two years are: Panaracer 737-- several Vredestein
    > Spider - One Hutchinson Globetrotter - tyre wall split after 3 weeks.
    >
    You need some Tuffy tape, Simon. That helps. Its a thin hard plastic strip that goes between the
    tyre and the tube(1), used it for several years with a decent tyre and I have not had a lot of
    punctures.

Cheers Richard

(1) I found it was necessary to chamfer the ends so they did not dig in to the tube

Please remove THIS if replying

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.