another quick question, chain set size

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by millerman, Feb 6, 2013.

1. millerman

millerman New Member

Well im now looking at changing my chain set after all, as i feel this would be better in the long run.

so my question is; what is the difference between a 9 speed and a 10 speed chain set ?, i am currently useing a 9 speed cassette, do i have to get a 9 speed chain set? or is there no difference ?

is it the gap between the rings, if so how do i over come this problem?

Thanks again

Gary

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

for a 9 speed cassette you need a 9 speed chain and of the same brand of your cassette, but there are some compatible brands one with the other, the difference is the thickness of the chain i believe,

3. millerman

millerman New Member

Thanks, i just need to see what will go with a SRAM cassette, i have first refusal of a campagnolo mirage compact 34/50 ultra torque, how do i find what will go with what ??

4. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Brands are not a problem when it comes to matching cranksets to drivetrains. Speed compatibility as in 8 speed vs. 10 speed can matter to some extent as mentioned above, but there's no issues running a Campy crank on a Shimano or SRAM drivetrain or vice versa. The crankset is the most interchangeable part of the drivetrain.

-Dave

5. millerman

millerman New Member

That is fantastic news, thanks very much for all your advice, I just have to make sure i get the right BB for the campagnolo, then ill be off on some grat rides again. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif cheers

Gary

6. vspa

vspa Active Member

and for your frame (the BB)

7. millerman

millerman New Member

yes, definitely, thankyou