another reason cancer patients should take cox 2 inhibitors

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Roger, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Roger

    Roger Guest

    Curr Pharm Des. 2004;10(6):647-57.

    Cyclooxygenase-2: potential role in regulation of drug efflux and multidrug resistance phenotype.

    Sorokin A.

    Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Cardiovascular Research Center, Medical College
    of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA.

    Multidrug resistance (MDR) of cancer cells to cytostatic agents is the major obstacle for the
    succesfull chemotherapy. One of the causes of the development of cellular resistance to a wide
    variety of drugs is the elevated expression of membrane transporter proteins such as members of ATP
    binding cassette (ABC) protein superfamily. Expression of the ABC transporter MDR1, also termed P-
    glycoprotein (P-gp), seems to correlate with drug resistance of tumors to chemotherapy. Cyclooxygenase-
    2, an inducible isoform of enzyme, responsible for generation of prostaglandins from arachidonic
    acid, is constitutively expressed in a number of cancer cells. Anti-cancer potency of cyclooxygenase
    inhibitors is established, but the mechanism of Cox-2-dependent potentiation of tumor growth is a
    subject of intense discussion. Here we focus on the discussion of potential link between Cox-2
    expression and development of multidrug resistance phenotype. Our observation, that enforced
    expression of Cox-2 causes enhancement in MDR1 expression and functional activity suggests the
    existence of causal link between Cox-2 activity and MDR1 expression. The use of Cox-2 inhibitors to
    decrease function of MDR1 may enhance accumulation of chemotherapy agents and decrease resistance of
    tumors to chemotherapeutic drugs.

    Tags:

  2. Steph

    Steph Guest

    "Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Q%[email protected]...
    > Curr Pharm Des. 2004;10(6):647-57.
    >
    > Cyclooxygenase-2: potential role in regulation of drug efflux and
    multidrug
    > resistance phenotype.
    >
    > Sorokin A.
    >
    > Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Cardiovascular Research Center, Medical College
    > of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road,
    Milwaukee,
    > WI 53226, USA.
    >
    > Multidrug resistance (MDR) of cancer cells to cytostatic agents is the
    major
    > obstacle for the succesfull chemotherapy.

    When the authors even get the first line of the abstract wrong, it says something......

  3. Roger

    Roger Guest

    "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:Q%[email protected]...
    > > Curr Pharm Des. 2004;10(6):647-57.
    > >
    > > Cyclooxygenase-2: potential role in regulation of drug efflux and
    > multidrug
    > > resistance phenotype.
    > >
    > > Sorokin A.
    > >
    > > Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Cardiovascular
    Research
    > > Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road,
    > Milwaukee,
    > > WI 53226, USA.
    > >
    > > Multidrug resistance (MDR) of cancer cells to cytostatic agents is the
    > major
    > > obstacle for the succesfull chemotherapy.
    >
    > When the authors even get the first line of the abstract wrong, it says something......

    When a poster ignores the important content of the abstract to put attention to a word used in the
    introductory part of the abstract which has nothing to do with the content of the abstract, that
    says something as well.

  4. Steph

    Steph Guest

    "Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:Q%[email protected]...
    > > > Curr Pharm Des. 2004;10(6):647-57.
    > > >
    > > > Cyclooxygenase-2: potential role in regulation of drug efflux and
    > > multidrug
    > > > resistance phenotype.
    > > >
    > > > Sorokin A.
    > > >
    > > > Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Cardiovascular
    > Research
    > > > Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road,
    > > Milwaukee,
    > > > WI 53226, USA.
    > > >
    > > > Multidrug resistance (MDR) of cancer cells to cytostatic agents is the
    > > major
    > > > obstacle for the succesfull chemotherapy.
    > >
    > > When the authors even get the first line of the abstract wrong, it says something......
    >
    > When a poster ignores the important content of the abstract to put
    attention
    > to a word used in the introductory part of the abstract which has nothing
    > do with the content of the abstract, that says something as well.

    I wasn't referring to the typo, but to the ludicrous suggestion. Don't assume pettiness.............