Another reason for a HELMET MIRROR...Silent cars!

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Pedestrians are wary of them....blind people are raising issues with their noislessness and I think we should be more wary of them too:eek: .
Good on those who do try to do something about their pollution by buying a Hybrid (yes, I know there are + & - with them) and if they do that they're hopefully less likely to knock us off but if we don't hear them.....
So, it makes helmet mirrors more useful - if we know whats coming by sight only....we still know whats coming:)

you may want to consider a mirror on your bar-end. The problems I found with Helmet Mirrors- vibration...and it can be a distraction as well. Bar end ones are good because you know exactly where to look at any time- your vision has to shift more than with a helmet-mounted one, but its worth it. Also Bar end mirror has larger diameter- you can see more !!! they look stupid tho... but its something I dont really mind- hey if you're in tight lycra you look pretty silly anyways :)):eek:

Hi.
Having had helmet mirrors for years now I consider them much better than bar end mirrors.
They vibrate much less - a bar end mirror is thumping along with your bike a helmet mirror will move much less - our heads have a natural vibration dampening ability:)

Helmet mirrors move with your head to so if you want to see something your head moves to see it - much easier than moving one's handlebars.
This is just second nature to me now.
Helmet mirrors may look small(and so there is much less of the Geek factor!) but because they're so close to one's eye the focal lenght means much can be seen in it - a very wide view behind.

Wet weather - they're way above the grim level and I find that mine is pretty good in the rain too.

Aussie Steve said:
you may want to consider a mirror on your bar-end. The problems I found with Helmet Mirrors- vibration...and it can be a distraction as well. Bar end ones are good because you know exactly where to look at any time- your vision has to shift more than with a helmet-mounted one, but its worth it. Also Bar end mirror has larger diameter- you can see more !!! they look stupid tho... but its something I dont really mind- hey if you're in tight lycra you look pretty silly anyways :)):eek:

I found that a helmet mirror viiiibbrraaatttes far too much (see- I'm wearing one now !!:eek: )

maybe its because my small brain is rattling around my skull, i dont know
but every bump i go over, the shakin is magnified !!
but I agree about it being easier to spot stuff with the helmet mirror... by movin the head

Aussie Steve said:
I found that a helmet mirror viiiibbrraaatttes far too much (see- I'm wearing one now !!:eek: )

but I agree about it being easier to spot stuff with the helmet mirror... by movin the head
Only ride on trails where cars are not allowed. Problem solved:). Actually I have ridden roads for years with no mirrors of any kind and never had a problem. I do tend to stay out of congested areas though, so I can usually hear a car by the sound of the tires on the pavement or the thumping of the sound system before any of the other noises that it makes.

kdelong said:
Only ride on trails where cars are not allowed. Problem solved:). Actually I have ridden roads for years with no mirrors of any kind and never had a problem. I do tend to stay out of congested areas though, so I can usually hear a car by the sound of the tires on the pavement or the thumping of the sound system before any of the other noises that it makes.
Fair enough if you don't ride on the road - I wouldn't have one for off road riding either.
If on the road....listen out for those super quiet hybrids:eek:

Aussie Steve said:

Seems like your helmet is too loose.

To the OP:
Checking your area regularly is taught in all defensive driving classes. (Like LAB's Safe Cycling-101 class) You should have a mirror, that is fine, but you should also learn to turn your head and look directly at the driver whenever you want to do anything on the road. The outcome will always be more positive. Never expect your mirror to help negotiate with drivers. If they don't give you permission to do something after you have looked directly at them and signalled your intentions, they had no intention of letting you do it anyway.