Another reason to avoid cycle lanes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by wafflycat, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    See

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4307300.stm

    "Minitram scheme gets city moving"

    "Bradford Council said the low-emission vehicle was narrow enough to travel
    on historic roads that conventional buses could not use and could even share
    wide cycle lanes."

    Cheers, helen s

    Tags:

  2. elyob

    elyob Guest

  3. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

  4. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > See
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4307300.stm
    >
    > "Minitram scheme gets city moving"
    >
    > "Bradford Council said the low-emission vehicle was narrow enough to travel
    > on historic roads that conventional buses could not use and could even share
    > wide cycle lanes."

    yes indeed; the electronic transponder thingy could create all sorts of
    havoc with one's odometer/ipod/pacemaker/electronic gear changer etc
    etc.

    Are they using some sort of Tardis technology?, I can't see 30 people
    fitting in that thing. Why don't they just supply 30 free bikes? oh
    yeah that's been tried already.

  5. wafflycat wrote:
    > See
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4307300.stm
    >
    > "Minitram scheme gets city moving"
    >
    > "Bradford Council said the low-emission vehicle was narrow enough to travel
    > on historic roads that conventional buses could not use and could even share
    > wide cycle lanes."

    Maybe the article was written by Jeremy Parker (or someone in his evil
    power) and "wide cycle lanes" is used as a synonym for "road". It
    would make (a little) more sense

    best wishes
    james

  6. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On 4 Oct 2005 07:56:35 -0700 someone who may be "MartinM"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >yes indeed; the electronic transponder thingy could create all sorts of
    >havoc with one's odometer/ipod/pacemaker/electronic gear changer etc
    >etc.

    More importantly the Railway Inspectorate has not been very keen on
    electronic guidance in the UK. The buses to Peter Mandelson's folly
    were supposed to be electronically guided, but this was abandoned
    after a few "exciting" test runs. I don't think they have yet got it
    working in France, but I have not kept up with that debacle.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  7. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "wafflycat" <waffles*$*A**T*v21net$*££*D*O*T*co*D£$£*O*T*uk> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > See
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4307300.stm
    >
    > "Minitram scheme gets city moving"
    >
    > "Bradford Council said the low-emission vehicle was narrow enough to
    > travel on historic roads that conventional buses could not use and could
    > even share wide cycle lanes."

    Then the picture is deceptive. To use a 'wide cycle lane' it must be less
    than 2 foot wide -- Shirley!!

  8. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    David Hansen wrote:
    > On 4 Oct 2005 07:56:35 -0700 someone who may be "MartinM"
    > <[email protected]> wrote this:-
    >
    > >yes indeed; the electronic transponder thingy could create all sorts of
    > >havoc with one's odometer/ipod/pacemaker/electronic gear changer etc
    > >etc.

    > More importantly the Railway Inspectorate has not been very keen on
    > electronic guidance in the UK. The buses to Peter Mandelson's folly
    > were supposed to be electronically guided, but this was abandoned
    > after a few "exciting" test runs. I don't think they have yet got it
    > working in France, but I have not kept up with that debacle.

    the little HO buses in Faller towns on model railways seem to work OK,
    but no bicycles to run over as it's Germany and such things are on the
    compulsory cyclepath ;-)