Another reason to ride

Claire Petersky

Guest
I'm reading someone's trip report as he tours through Argentina. He writes:

"For dessert it was flan with a huge scoop of dulce de leche. On the way
back to the hotel I realized that tomorrow might be a tough day, so a bit
more energy might be needed. So I got a scoop of "chocolate granizado",
perhaps the best chocolate ice cream I´ve ever had."

Double desserts, and they both sound marvellous...

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Claire Petersky wrote:

> "For dessert it was flan with a huge scoop of dulce de leche. On the way
> back to the hotel I realized that tomorrow might be a tough day, so a bit
> more energy might be needed. So I got a scoop of "chocolate granizado",
> perhaps the best chocolate ice cream I´ve ever had."
>
> Double desserts, and they both sound marvellous...

Ah, dessert. One of the great joys of long distance touring for me
is the food. I'll take a lumpy bed, but pile on the gastronomie!

Food tastes better after a long day in the saddle, too.
--
terry morse -- Undiscovered Country Tours -- http://udctours.com/

>> "For dessert it was flan with a huge scoop of dulce de leche. On the way
>> back to the hotel I realized that tomorrow might be a tough day, so a bit
>> more energy might be needed. So I got a scoop of "chocolate granizado",
>> perhaps the best chocolate ice cream I´ve ever had."
>>
>> Double desserts, and they both sound marvellous...

> Ah, dessert. One of the great joys of long distance touring for me
> is the food. I'll take a lumpy bed, but pile on the gastronomie!
>
> Food tastes better after a long day in the saddle, too.

Rarely does fresh fruit taste better than at a rest stop on a tough century.
I'm not a huge fan of strawberries, but on a century...

Having said that, I must admit that I learned about four years ago that
riding so you have an excuse to eat lots doesn't work. There's no substitute
for eating appropriately, no matter how you rationalize what those miles can
do for you. Well, maybe at some point the body's need for calories is such
that you can, indeed, eat like a pig and be ok (because you're doing so many
miles), but unfortunately the body is far more efficient at converting food
into fuel than most realize. And thus my lunches are now rabbit food
(salads), and it has indeed reversed a gradual climb in weight over the
years, which in turn has reversed a gradual slowness on climbs.

Sigh.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> Rarely does fresh fruit taste better than at a rest stop on a tough
> century. I'm not a huge fan of strawberries, but on a century...

Local strawberries, as opposed to the large flavorless monsters they grow in
Mexico or California that "keep well", taste marvellous. One of my favorite
loops from here out to the countryside runs past a U-pick strawberry place,
and when they're ripe in June is usually when I'm logging on the big miles.

--

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> writes:

> Rarely does fresh fruit taste better than at a rest stop on a tough century.
> I'm not a huge fan of strawberries, but on a century...
>
> Having said that, I must admit that I learned about four years ago that
> riding so you have an excuse to eat lots doesn't work. There's no substitute
> for eating appropriately, no matter how you rationalize what those miles can
> do for you. Well, maybe at some point the body's need for calories is such
> that you can, indeed, eat like a pig and be ok (because you're doing so many
> miles), but unfortunately the body is far more efficient at converting food
> into fuel than most realize. And thus my lunches are now rabbit food
> (salads), and it has indeed reversed a gradual climb in weight over the
> years, which in turn has reversed a gradual slowness on climbs.
>
> Sigh.

I've found it greatly helps to have an hollow leg :)

Although, at my 5'11" height, I notice I've recently gained
five pounds to achieve a total of 160. I guess I should cut
down on the Miracle Whip (which I use for salad dressing.)
But then I'm doing hard physical work again in my current job.

My mom turned me onto peanut butter + lettuce + Miracle Whip
sandwiches. They're delicious when you're in the mood for 'em.
They ain't a patch on aged cheddar + bread-&-butter pickle +
a thin slice of sweet Walla Walla onion + Miracle Whip samwidges,
though.

I must have all kinds of Miracle Whip chemicals coursing through
my system. Maybe that's why I can't gain weight.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.