Another reason to wear cycling glasses

Zog The Undeniable

Guest
Coming back to Swindon today on the A420 (my least favourite road in
Britain), our car's windscreen was liberally sprayed with raw diesel by
a truck going in the opposite direction, which presumably had sprung a
very severe leak in its fuel system. The smell of paraffin was
overwhelming. I wouldn't have fancied it in my eyes!

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
> Coming back to Swindon today on the A420 (my least favourite road in
> Britain), our car's windscreen was liberally sprayed with raw diesel by
> a truck going in the opposite direction, which presumably had sprung a
> very severe leak in its fuel system. The smell of paraffin was
> overwhelming. I wouldn't have fancied it in my eyes!

You have to be careful with cycling glasses, though. They can increase the
risk of eye injury if they shatter in an accident. Statistically, they
have a negligable effect on injury rates, the slight increase in eye
injuries is compensated for in whole population studies by the slight
decrease in overall mortality bought about by people taking up cycling
because they think they look cool in them.

It just goes to show that anecdotal individual evidence does not
neccessarily reflect to statistical benifits. You can't use a single
incidence of cycling-glasses related evidence to draw conclusions
abount their overall efficacy.

Of course, they won't help in a collision with a cement mixer, unless
they are peril-sensitive in which case they will instantly go black
and you'll never be entirely sure what hit you.

--
Trevor Barton

Trevor Barton wrote:

> You have to be careful with cycling glasses, though. They can increase the
> risk of eye injury if they shatter in an accident. Statistically, they
> have a negligable effect on injury rates, the slight increase in eye
> injuries is compensated for in whole population studies by the slight
> decrease in overall mortality bought about by people taking up cycling
> because they think they look cool in them.
>
> It just goes to show that anecdotal individual evidence does not
> neccessarily reflect to statistical benifits. You can't use a single
> incidence of cycling-glasses related evidence to draw conclusions
> abount their overall efficacy.
>
> Of course, they won't help in a collision with a cement mixer, unless
> they are peril-sensitive in which case they will instantly go black
> and you'll never be entirely sure what hit you.

Nice analogy. Seriously, they've been made out of shatterproof plastic
since Bernard Hinault crashed wearing his glass shades and bled all over
the finish line of a TdF stage (it wasn't serious, but might have been).