Another reason to wear cycling glasses

Zog The Undenia

Guest
Coming back to Swindon today on the A420 (my least favourite
road in Britain), our car's windscreen was liberally sprayed
with raw diesel by a truck going in the opposite direction,
which presumably had sprung a very severe leak in its fuel
system. The smell of paraffin was overwhelming. I wouldn't
have fancied it in my eyes!

Trevor Barton wrote:

> You have to be careful with cycling glasses, though.
> They can increase the risk of eye injury if they shatter
> in an accident. Statistically, they have a negligable
> effect on injury rates, the slight increase in eye
> injuries is compensated for in whole population studies
> by the slight decrease in overall mortality bought about
> by people taking up cycling because they think they look
> cool in them.
>
> It just goes to show that anecdotal individual evidence
> does not neccessarily reflect to statistical benifits. You
> can't use a single incidence of cycling-glasses related
> evidence to draw conclusions abount their overall
> efficacy.
>
> Of course, they won't help in a collision with a cement
> mixer, unless they are peril-sensitive in which case they
> will instantly go black and you'll never be entirely sure
> what hit you.

Nice analogy. Seriously, they've been made out of
shatterproof plastic since Bernard Hinault crashed wearing
his glass shades and bled all over the finish line of a TdF
stage (it wasn't serious, but might have been).