Another request for a recommendation!

Pete Biggs wrote:

> (They're not common on new "city" bikes). I've so far failed to find a Brooks saddle (sprung or
> not) which I find to be comfortable (although I haven't given up yet) - BUT I accept that they may
> be better for some/many people.

This is rather sliding past the point that the *assumption* is that they *will* be worse than a
modern plastic squidgy gel one, a very high % of which as supplied on cheap bikes are very grim
indeed. The point being that new technology does not necessarily improve matters.

> uncomfortable. They may yet make a comeback (if new owners of Brooks get their act together).

They've never gone away, if you open your eyes.

> In any case, having a comfy saddle is not enough if the bike is still a pig to ride for other
> reasons.

I find the converse to be true, but other people seem to manage okay. And if you don't think there's
anyone using a ghastly bike with a ghastly saddle but still getting around on it, again I think you
have a somewhat idealised picture of Real World cycling.

> Won't so well get up the hills* or accelerate so well (even on the flat).

As I've pointed out elsewhere, these are implementation issues rather than basic design, the extra
*necessary* weight on a roadster from having a hub and a chaincase is not enough to really dent
performance. And saying "but they're not built that way" is a cop out if you want to use the same
arguments for the knobbly tyres, no mudguards and no racks that are (not) supplied on MTBs.

> The more urban the streets, the more frequent the accelation required.

Again it's the case that how bikes are actually cycled and your ideal picture don't meet up IME. I
accelerate much better than most people even on a 40+ lb bike where I can't stand up simply because
I use appropriate gears and they're mashing at continental drift rates. If you had a hub you could
change down after stopping at a light, of course...

> well as any total weight difference, the riding position makes an MTB faster and more
> sprightly, IME.

If you're going at a constant speed where aerodynamics become a factor, yes, but again I see reality
as being that typical cyclists (most of whom I see on MTBs, of course) don't. Sprightliness is more
to do with wheels and tyres than riding position (why a Brommie is easily more sprightly for close
urban handling than any of my other bikes, I think).

The riding position of an MTB makes it very good for shifting your weight about out of the saddle.
Very handy in the rough, pretty pointless in the streets. It gives a default view of the road rather
than where you're going, less use in an urban setting.

> The fatter tyres provide more comfort and protection over the potholes - and more choice of tyres
> as well.

And you have to change them (which both Arthur and I have noted they don't generally do in
"non-enthusiast" cases) to give you something that's comfortable and efficient over flat tarmac. 2"
tyres are mad for tarmac use.

> Easier to maintain and modify.

Easier to modiify, yes, but again we seem to be living in slightly different but largely parallel
universes if you find people in general modify bikes a lot. As for easier to maintain, the whole
*point* of things like hub gears and chaincases is that there's far, far, far less maintenance to do
in the first place. And again back to the General Public who don't even realise oiling a chain is
easy and good for it, that's more important.

> And for the fastest riders (a sizeable minority),

Sorry, this is silly. "Fastest" is a relative term, so deciding it's a "sizeable minority" just
means you've moved along the bell curve of speed distribution. You can say 50% are the fastest or 1%
are the fastest and both can be true, the statement is meaningless.

> * Even many of the cyclists in central London ride from/to areas with some nasty hills.

Again, an implementation issue, not a design one.

> Who cares? They're having a good time and don't want to cycle any great distance. Quite a
> different bunch from the people cycling to work/college/shops, etc.

True, but where I am the poeple doing that are, by and large, far more likely to be a cheap, heavy
MTB with the saddle lower than optimum, in too high a gear to accelerate easily, who will stand up
rather than change gear when they get to a small rise, who have their insteps on the pedals, who hug
the kerb rather more closely than they might and who, even if they've fitted a rack, won't use it
and have a rucksack on and are rumbling about at a sedate pace on underinflated, knobbly tyres.
Though I see enlightened people on responsive and well built and well ridden MTBs they are very much
in a minority.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Pete Biggs wrote:

> I (and many people) find them genuinely more comfortable than a lot of alternatives - because of
> their cut and material. I like a fair bit of tough material between my legs and the outside world
> when it's too cold/impractical for shorts!

So, that must be why winter walkers all wear jeans, right?

> It's not just the image, and again, there are good reasons for the image anyway. People don't like
> to have cold feet

Typical conversation: "your feet must be freezing!"; "no, are your hands and face freezing? you're
not wearing gloves or a balaclava"; "that's different!", and so on. The reason it's different is
that their hands and face aren't wrapped in insulation even on nice days and in heated houses by
default because that's what everybody does, because it's "common sense"....

> them (on upright bikes)....windchill!!!!! I'm quite sure you must have funny feet :)

I thought you meant in general rather than on the bike, they'll get chilly on the Brom in winter if
it's much into single figures on the thermometer. But my feet are only unusual in as much as they
spend their time in the open air (like my hands and face) most of the time.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Peter Clinch wrote:

[Brooks saddles]
> They've never gone away, if you open your eyes.

A lot of shops don't stock any/many.

> > In any case, having a comfy saddle is not enough if
>> the bike is still a pig to ride for other reasons.
>
> I find the converse to be true, but other people seem to manage okay. And if you don't think
> there's anyone using a ghastly bike with a ghastly saddle but still getting around on it, again I
> think you have a somewhat idealised picture of Real World cycling.

Pedantic arguing. Good bike and good saddle is the answer. Neither types of bikes ten to come with
great saddles in the first place.

>> Won't so well get up the hills* or accelerate so well (even on the flat).
>
> As I've pointed out elsewhere, these are implementation issues rather than basic design

No, I disagree. The basic shape of the frame is a real factor as well as weight.

> And saying "but they're not built that way" is a cop out if you want to use the same arguments for
> the knobbly tyres, no mudguards and no racks that are (not) supplied on MTBs.

I've not copped out - I've said EVEN with the standard knobblies supplied (often not full-on off
road jobs) on many, they are faster. AND mudgaurds are supplied as standard with some MTB's. Come
down to London again and see what people are actually riding (and how well they are riding them).

>> The more urban the streets, the more frequent the accelation required.
>
> Again it's the case that how bikes are actually cycled and your ideal picture don't meet up IME. I
> accelerate much better than most people even on a 40+ lb bike where I can't stand up simply
> because I use appropriate gears and they're mashing at continental drift rates.

The same person would accelerate better on an MTB.

> If you're going at a constant speed where aerodynamics become a factor, yes, but again I see
> reality as being that typical cyclists (most of whom I see on MTBs, of course) don't.
> Sprightliness is more to do with wheels and tyres than riding position (why a Brommie is easily
> more sprightly for close urban handling than any of my other bikes, I think).

I disagree. From my experience, riding position is a factor of sprightliness as well as
aerodynamics.

> The riding position of an MTB makes it very good for shifting your weight about out of the saddle.
> Very handy in the rough, pretty pointless in the streets.

Helps when dodging in and out of traffic at least.

> It gives a default view of the road rather than where you're going, less use in an urban setting.

That's an exageration - although it's true that too many people are riding the wrong-size bikes for
them - but that's true of users of all types of bikes.

> > The fatter tyres provide more comfort and
>> protection over the potholes - and more choice of tyres as well.
>
> And you have to change them (which both Arthur and I have noted they don't generally do in
> "non-enthusiast" cases) to give you something that's comfortable and efficient over flat tarmac.
> 2" tyres are mad for tarmac use.

As mentioned before, many of them are ok in the first place. They may not be the slickest, but for
the average user, the width and puncture resistance of them is great.

> > Easier to maintain and modify.
>
> Easier to modiify, yes, but again we seem to be living in slightly different but largely parallel
> universes if you find people in general modify bikes a lot.

Ok, modification is just a side issue for the minority

> As for easier to maintain, the whole *point* of things like hub gears and chaincases is that
> there's far, far, far less maintenance to do in the first place.

Yes, I've agreed with that already. BUT the tyres do puncture, and there will be some other
maintenance required eventually.

>> And for the fastest riders (a sizeable minority),
>
> Sorry, this is silly. "Fastest" is a relative term, so deciding it's a "sizeable minority" just
> means you've moved along the bell curve of speed distribution. You can say 50% are the fastest or
> 1% are the fastest and both can be true, the statement is meaningless.

Sorry, this is pedantic and pointless.

>> * Even many of the cyclists in central London ride from/to areas with some nasty hills.
>
> Again, an implementation issue, not a design one.

Sorry, this is pedantic and pointless.

>> Who cares? They're having a good time and don't want to cycle any great distance. Quite a
>> different bunch from the people cycling to work/college/shops, etc.
>
> True, but where I am the poeple doing that are, by and large, far more likely to be a cheap, heavy
> MTB with the saddle lower than optimum, in too high a gear to accelerate easily, who will stand up
> rather than change gear when they get to a small rise, who have their insteps on the pedals, who
> hug the kerb rather more closely than they might and who, even if they've fitted a rack, won't use
> it and have a rucksack on and are rumbling about at a sedate pace on underinflated, knobbly tyres.
> Though I see enlightened people on responsive and well built and well ridden MTBs they are very
> much in a minority.

The majority of MTB users I see are ordinary people riding reasonably well on bikes that are doing
the job fine for them.

~PB

By the way Pete Clinch, I haven't appreciated your tone throughout this discussion - it's made it
quite unpleasant. There's no need for any sarcastic or personal remarks over these kind of
disagreements. I apologise if I've ended up responding in the same sort of way.

~PB

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:

[on jeans!!]
>> I (and many people) find them genuinely more comfortable than a lot of alternatives - because of
>> their cut and material. I like a fair bit of tough material between my legs and the outside world
>> when it's too cold/impractical for shorts!

(I don't mean when it's freezin me nuts off, silly, just when it wouldn't be appropriate to
wear shorts).

> So, that must be why winter walkers all wear jeans, right?

I'm not a "winter walker" and nor are most wearers. I do not want to go around wearing hiking gear!!
They are genuienly practical for those who use them, just like MTB's are for their users. Fashions
come and go quickly. Jeans and MTB's don't! Well, MTB's do, if you know what I mean
:)

~PB

Alex Veitch <[email protected]> wrote
> >> I'll keep the bars as they are, but I think that indexed bar end shifters would be the best
> >> bet. Any recommendations on a make / model based on your own experience?
> >
> >There's only really one choice - the shimano ones. (yes, there are
probably
> >campag ones too). 40sq from your friendly LBS.
> >
> >But here's the can of worms:
> >
> >The new ones are 9 speed. You may be able to get some 7/8 speed ones from SJSC (actually 8
> >speed).
> >
> >The question now is what do you have on your bike at the moment? 6 speed freewheel? In which case
> >8 speed may work (ignoring 2 clicks) but I
couldn't
> >say for sure. If it doesn't work you're looking at a new rear
hub/cassette
> >(ie wheel), and possibly respacing the back triangle.
>
> Yes, its a 6 speed freewheel. The rear gear unit (excuse incorrect terminology) is a Suntour of
> some type. The Shimano set works as a friction change so I could try it and see - it will work in
> some form or other, and if not as an indexed system then I can always change other components at a
> later date.

The indexing is all in the levers - they are all set up to pull the correct amont of cable to move
the rear mech (any Shimano except old Dura-Ace) to the next cog. This means that an 8 speed lever
won't move the mech far enough on a 6-speed block, and that you'll need a 6-speed bar end or a
bodge. 6-speed bar ends do exist (I've one on my work bike), but will be difficult to find
Possible bodges
a) use a non-shimano mech - your suntour may be ok
b) make the groove the cable sits in on the lever a larger diameter by putting a few layers of
insulating tape in it.
c) alter where the cable clamps on the mech - so it's closer to the pivots. Either clamp the cable
the "wrong" side of the clamp bolt, or drill a hole through the middle of the clamp bolt and
thread the cable through that.

Andrew

Pete Biggs wrote:
> By the way Pete Clinch, I haven't appreciated your tone throughout this discussion - it's made it
> quite unpleasant. There's no need for any sarcastic or personal remarks over these kind of
> disagreements. I apologise if I've ended up responding in the same sort of way.

You certainly haven't, and I certainly didn't intend to come across that way so please accept my
apologies on that front. It's simply that what you say is the case utterly fails to square with what
I find and what I see.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Andrew Sweetman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> 6-speed bar ends do exist (I've one on my work bike), but will be
difficult
> to find

I would send an email to St John Street Cycles (http://www.sjscycles.com). They have a habit of
keeping mountains of old stock, which they sometimes sell at irritatingly high prices but that's
better than not being able to get the part.

Or you might find one in Bob's parts bin - bobbristow at waitrose dot com, my mate Bob, Reading's
premier blind bike mechanic. Actually that does him an injustice, he is the tourists' mechanic of
choice and being blind does not in any way detract from the quality of his work.

--
Guy
===

Pete Biggs wrote:

> Pedantic arguing. Good bike and good saddle is the answer. Neither types of bikes ten to come with
> great saddles in the first place.

It *should* be the answer, it isn't very common at all on budget bikes. Fair MTBs will come with a
fair stab at a high tech saddle, fair roadsters will come with a traditional saddle. I think
manufacturers like Gazelle would be rather affronted if you told them their saddles were primarily
fit for immediate replacement. Pashley use Brooks on theirs.

> No, I disagree. The basic shape of the frame is a real factor as well as weight.

Why? If you're in the right gear spinning up the frame isn't really a an issue. Or my step through
Brommie which I pretty much never stand up on and has a very flexible stem wouldn't get up hills.
I'll grant you it's hopeless if you get out of the seat, but there's no need to do that (if there
was, recumbent cyclists would be completely sunk).

> I've not copped out - I've said EVEN with the standard knobblies supplied (often not full-on off
> road jobs) on many, they are faster.

And I maintain, and Arthur agreed with me, that they're not. My Brompton is faster than my MTB on
the roads entirely down to the 2" on the MTB. The Brompton is not a fast bike!

> are supplied as standard with some MTB's. Come down to London again and see what people are
> actually riding (and how well they are riding them).

It is possible that the more intimidating atmosphere of cycling in London's traffic density means
that primarily more dedicated and roadcraft-clued cyclists are more typical, but that just doesn't
happen here.

> The same person would accelerate better on an MTB.

But my point is that they *are* on MTBs. An MTB in the wrong gear (too high) is still a pig to
accelerate away from anything, especially stationary where you can't change gear. This is
irrespective of the type of bike.

> I disagree. From my experience, riding position is a factor of sprightliness as well as
> aerodynamics.

Why/how does crouching over the bars with your weight on them make a bike easier to manoeuvre at low
speeds associated with traffic? It certainly helps make it steadier riding through a boulder field
but I don't see it makes for easier low speed manoeuvring.

> Helps when dodging in and out of traffic at least.

Well, as I suggest above, not really to any great extent. It's easier to turn bars, and lean back
with your weight on the seat for signalling, if you're more upright.

> That's an exageration - although it's true that too many people are riding the wrong-size bikes
> for them - but that's true of users of all types of bikes.

It's not really to do with size: the MTB riding position is most typically a crouch over the bars,
with the head looking down. The default position of the roadster is bolt upright, looking out.

> Yes, I've agreed with that already. BUT the tyres do puncture, and there will be some other
> maintenance required eventually.

And when it is it'll be a bit more of a faff, yes, but that's hardly the same thing as impossible or
especially difficult. More important that lower maintenance than optimum in regular use have less
effect on ride on safety day to day than it *would* be easy to do if I got around to doing any.

> Sorry, this is pedantic and pointless.

It simply outlines how your "sizeable minority of faster riders" really needs qualification to mean
very much. I am in a minority of faster riders, despite a slow bike and no particular interest in
speed, and I don't feel any particular need for derailleurs when I've got the hub, or any special
advantage changing when I'm on the 3x9 (if anything the opposite in urban traffic, as I can't change
standing still).

>>Again, an implementation issue, not a design one.
>
> Sorry, this is pedantic and pointless.

No, I've pointed out at considerable length how a hub gear bike can be useful in hilly places just
by a simple implementation change from "default" in the basic gearing to the hub sprocket.

> The majority of MTB users I see are ordinary people riding reasonably well on bikes that are doing
> the job fine for them.

And the same would almost certainly be true if they were riding roadsters. Why do I think that? As
you've said yourself, there was a far more active cycle culture in Britain in the past, and in a
past well before the existence of MTBs. Yes, MTBs will do the job fine. But I still feel your
argument that they're widely used because they're an optimum design for urban cycling is a long way
wide of the mark. Rather than argue about it with me, argue about it with John Franklin, who
disagrees with you in a widely recommended and distributed book primarily concerned with urban
cycling. If I'm wrong then so is he, and he's reaching a lot more people.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

I hate to get involved in the middle fo a flamewar, but I find myself compelled to pitch in:

[ re: jeans ]

> I (and many people) find them genuinely more comfortable than a lot of alternatives - because of
> their cut and material. I like a fair bit of tough material between my legs and the outside world
> when it's too cold/impractical for shorts!

On this subject I think Peter is right: jeans are not good outdoor wear, and they are particularly
bad on a bike. I have extensive experience of hiking and biking and would make the following points:

- jeans waterlog quickly, dry slowly, and act like an evapoorative refrigerator once wet
- denim does not wick sweat to any measurable extent
- the thick material tends to chafe
- the material is inflexible, so you will be doing work against the material instead of against
the pedals
- the material is heavier than "technical" fabrics of equivalent strength

I wear shorts most of the year, with roubaix tights or legwarmers in very cold weather. Outdoor
trousers would be fine on a town bike, step forward Mr Rohan - they will be lighter and less prone
to cause misery than any jeans. And equally protective in a fall. If you care about getting them
dirty or torn in a fall, why not wear el-cheapo nylon overtrousers over the top.

Same when hiking: breeches or shorts, legwarmers if cold, possibly cords if it's very cold. But
never jeans. A mountain rescue man once told me that there was a strong correlation between jeans
and hypothermia in people they pulled off mountains - how true that is, and whether it's causative,
I wouldn't know; in my view the alternatives are so much better that I never intend to find out :)

Executive summary: for cycling & hiking, anything jeans can do a modern technical fabric can do
substantially better.

--
Guy
===

Pete Biggs wrote:

> I'm not a "winter walker" and nor are most wearers. I do not want to go around wearing
> hiking gear!!

Jeans were invented for cheap and tough mining wear in the western US goldrush of the second half of
the 19th C. Hiking gear is basically indistinguishable these days from many other casual trousers
except in using better, higher performance fabrics. How come you want to go around wearing mining
gear? Jeans are widely available in lots of different cuts if you're a non-standard shape, but
overall I think it's something to do with image...

> They are genuienly practical for those who use them, just like MTB's are for their users. Fashions
> come and go quickly. Jeans and MTB's don't! Well, MTB's do, if you know what I mean
> :)

They will both do the job, yes. "Will do the job" is not the same as "are clearly the best
for the job".

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

FWIW you can still get Shimano six-speed indexed down-tube levers, with the caveat that they are
very cheap and rather horrible. But seven speeds will fit in the same space as six, and *nice*
seven-speed gear controls are also available.

FWIW 2, it is sometimes possible to use an pre-indexing rear derailleur with indexed levers and have
it work satisfactorily. I have seen it done with the combination of pre-SRAM takeover Sachs
gripshifters, a Shimano freewheel and a Sun Tour VX-GT derailleur.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Andrew Sweetman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > 6-speed bar ends do exist (I've one on my work bike), but will be
> difficult
> > to find
>
> I would send an email to St John Street Cycles (http://www.sjscycles.com). They have a habit of
> keeping mountains of old stock, which they sometimes sell at irritatingly high prices but that's
> better than not being able to get the part.

There's also a firm based in the Netherlands called Renaissance Cycles, who I have to admit I've
never used, but they do specialise in retro stuff and discontinued lines, and have a useful website
(www.renaissance-cycles.com). Prices are in $US, but a quick currency conversion into £ reveals that
they're actually pretty good value for money.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> I hate to get involved in the middle fo a flamewar

Please do! :)

>, but I find myself compelled to pitch in:
/snip
> On this subject I think Peter is right: jeans are not good outdoor wear, and they are particularly
> bad on a bike.

The point wasn't about their use for cycling or for particularly poor outdoor conditions in general
- just that are very good for what most people use them for and things that have been around that
long must be more than about fashion. People wouldn't continue to use them, decade in decade out, if
they were not practical. I suggest MTB's have been long enough now that the same principle applies.

~PB

news:<[email protected]>...

> Or you might find one in Bob's parts bin - bobbristow at waitrose dot com, my mate Bob, Reading's
> premier blind bike mechanic. Actually that does him an injustice, he is the tourists' mechanic of
> choice and being blind does not in any way detract from the quality of his work.

How the hell does he do it? It can be tricky enough when you can see what you're doing. And how does
he keep up with the constant innovation?

--
Dave...

Peter Clinch wrote:

>> The basic shape of the frame is a real factor as well as weight.
>
> Why? If you're in the right gear spinning up the frame isn't really a an issue.

The riding position that the different frame provides clearly seems to aid power delivery and
efficiency to me, even when seated. It's been discussed on rec.bicycles.tech - I'll do some reading
up and come back with some details if I can. Frame responsiveness and stiffness may also be factors.

> Or my step through Brommie which I pretty much never stand up on and has a very flexible stem
> wouldn't get up hills. I'll grant you it's hopeless if you get out of the seat, but there's no
> need to do that (if there was, recumbent cyclists would be completely sunk).

Although not strictly essential, getting out of saddle does help a lot sometimes - for brief bouts
of acceleration or getting up little steep hills/ramps.

>> The same person would accelerate better on an MTB.
>
> But my point is that they *are* on MTBs. An MTB in the wrong gear (too high) is still a pig to
> accelerate away from anything, especially stationary where you can't change gear. This is
> irrespective of the type of bike.

Most people on MTBs I see now use the gears well enough (could be better but usually not using far
too high gears). In the event of stopping in a high gear (and one can change down in advance to
avoid this), standing up on the pedals for a couple of revs will get the bike up to speed quickly -
just as fast or faster than using a low gear to start off. (See Jobst Brandt's technical posts on
this subject).

>> I disagree. From my experience, riding position is a factor of sprightliness as well as
>> aerodynamics. Helps when dodging in and out of traffic at least.

> Why/how does crouching over the bars with your weight on them make a bike easier to manoeuvre at
> low speeds associated with traffic? It certainly helps make it steadier riding through a boulder
> field but I don't see it makes for easier low speed manoeuvring.

The geometry and position makes it easier to steer more precisely and assuredly - which is most
useful for getting through gaps in the traffic.

> Well, as I suggest above, not really to any great extent. It's easier to turn bars, and lean back
> with your weight on the seat for signalling, if you're more upright.

For signalling yes, but there's far more to urban cycling than that.

>> That's an exageration - although it's true that too many people are riding the wrong-size bikes
>> for them - but that's true of users of all types of bikes.
>
> It's not really to do with size: the MTB riding position is most typically a crouch over the bars,
> with the head looking down.

Not so far down that you don't have a good view of where you are going. Yes you may get an even
better view from a roadster but that's offset by the different handling and performance.

> No, I've pointed out at considerable length how a hub gear bike can be useful in hilly places just
> by a simple implementation change from "default" in the basic gearing to the hub sprocket.

But you have been arguing about the differences between the bikes as they are typically supplied.
Yes changing the sprocket should be easy but it very, very rarely happens. Lower gears would indeed
help but that's still only one factor.

> Rather than argue about it with me, argue about it with John Franklin, who disagrees with you in a
> widely recommended and distributed book primarily concerned with urban cycling. If I'm wrong then
> so is he, and he's reaching a lot more people.

Just because you, the CTC and John Franklin disagree with me, doesn't mean I'm automatically and
completely wrong. I'm satisfied with posting my point of view here and I don't care if it's regarded
as "alternative" if I so strongly believe in it myself.

~PB

[ re: jeans ]

> The point wasn't about their use for cycling or for particularly poor outdoor conditions in
> general - just that are very good for what most people use them for

I don't think so, but then I am not "most people." I find my thighs are too big in relation to my
bum / waist for most jeans to fit well; I also find that they bunch behind the knees (tingly feet
after sitting for a while) and cause discomfort round the waist, as my waistline is made of muscle
these days rather than blubber.

I quite like chinos (looser and lighter) but wear shorts for preference most of the year.

> and things that have been around that long must be more than about fashion.

Like stilletto heels? :-D

Practicality is unnecessary for a product to survive.

> People wouldn't continue to use them, decade in decade out, if they were not practical. I suggest
> MTB's have been long enough now that the same principle applies.

MTBs are just bikes. If you could still but the old-fashioned cow-horn bar 3-speed Raleigh at your
local bike shop I am sure that it would sell in small numbers to the Discerning Older Rider, but you
can't. It's mostly either mountain bikes or road bikes these days. The choice made by most people
recognises availability rather than merit.

Pete Biggs wrote:

> The point wasn't about their use for cycling or for particularly poor outdoor conditions in
> general - just that are very good for what most people use them for and things that have been
> around that long must be more than about fashion.

And my counter-point is that they're *adequate* rather than good, but because it's a default buying
decision people don't think about it much and buy the default. Because people buy it it's the
default, and because it's the default people buy it. And so on. "Everyone uses it so it must be good
so I'll get it too" is entirely normal, and indeed very understandable thinking.

Even if you limit yourself to cotton fabrics, weaving technology now enables you to have thinner,
tougher, easier to launder (quicker drying and colourfast), more comfortable choices than denim. We
really can do better with fabrics, even just pure cotton ones, than we did in frontier towns in the
US in the 1870s: technology improvements have not been limited to bicycle tubing over that time!

> People wouldn't continue to use them, decade in decade out, if they were not practical.

Being impractical would be inadequate, but adequate isn't necessarily as good as you can
reasonably manage.

> I suggest MTB's have been long enough now that the same principle applies.

People buy it because it's the default, and it's the default because people buy it. All you need to
be adequate on a bike is something to get you about, which is not a tall order. Because an MTB will
get you about pretty much anywhere a bike can go it can manage urban environments too. That doesn't
mean it's ideally suited though, any more than a Landrover.

How the MTB got to be the default is something of a can of worms, a bit like jeans. But IMHO the
reasons are far more to do with being something introduced to a culture at the right place and time
to catch on than because they were really what people needed if they pared their requirements back
to purely functional and practical. Jeans were originally "rebellious" at a time when social norms
were in great upheaval, now they're ubiquitous but the original rebels grew up in them so now
they're a default. Having spent years quite convinced of how wonderfully comfortable and practical
they are, I now don't own any. I was deluding myself, buying into the popular image. I'm almost
certainly deluding myself about other things based on their image now: people do.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>> and things that have been around that long must be more than about fashion.
>
> Like stilletto heels? :-D

They go out of fashion from time to time, jeans don't. Anyway, high heels

~PB