Another Restaurant Water Complaint

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is 'de
    rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon". People who want lemon should
    have to ask for it. (Oddly enough, these lemon wedges in the water don't
    cost extra since it's not bottled water, yet the restauranteur has to pay
    for lemons; go figure.) Who decided this? I take out the lemon with a
    spoon but I hate finding lemon seeds floating in my ice water! If I wanted
    to make lemonade, I'd ask for more lemon wedges and sugar, much. I'd just
    like plain old ice water, thanks.

    Jill <--feeling punchy after being up late and getting up early

    Tags:

  2. "jmcquown" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:5%[email protected]:

    > I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is 'de
    > rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon". People who want lemon
    > should have to ask for it. (Oddly enough, these lemon wedges in the
    > water don't cost extra since it's not bottled water, yet the
    > restauranteur has to pay for lemons; go figure.) Who decided this? I
    > take out the lemon with a spoon but I hate finding lemon seeds
    > floating in my ice water! If I wanted to make lemonade, I'd ask for
    > more lemon wedges and sugar, much. I'd just like plain old ice water,
    > thanks.
    >
    > Jill <--feeling punchy after being up late and getting up early

    I don't like lemon in my water or iced tea. In St. Louis the trend is not
    to give lemon in water unless requested. OTOH when I order iced tea
    without lemon it invariably comes with it.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

    --Calvin Trillin

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "ms_peacock" <[email protected]> wrote

    > When I order iced tea without lemon and it comes with lemon I make them
    > take it back and bring me a new one. I can tell if they just take the
    > lemon off. The tip goes down dramatically when they just take the lemon
    > off and bring it back to me. I've also noticed another strange
    > phenomenon, if I order tea with no lemon a fair amount of the time hubby
    > won't get lemon on his tea either.

    What I find interesting is that when I order iced tea, the instance where I
    will not be brought sugar is probably 75% of the time. I don't take sugar
    in my tea, but maybe I'd like to sometimes. I have a confession to make.
    I stole. When we were on vacation, the place had a kitchen and a coffee
    maker, but you had to supply the coffee, etc. I didn't feel like buying a
    bag of sugar, so every time I ordered iced tea I would pocket a couple
    of packets of sugar. This is why I noticed they don't bring sugar a lot of
    times. Probably knew I was a damm thief.

    nancy

  4. ms_peacock

    ms_peacock Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I don't like lemon in my water or iced tea. In St. Louis the trend is not
    > to give lemon in water unless requested. OTOH when I order iced tea
    > without lemon it invariably comes with it.
    >
    > Michael

    When I order iced tea without lemon and it comes with lemon I make them take
    it back and bring me a new one. I can tell if they just take the lemon off.
    The tip goes down dramatically when they just take the lemon off and bring
    it back to me. I've also noticed another strange phenomenon, if I order tea
    with no lemon a fair amount of the time hubby won't get lemon on his tea
    either.

    Ms P

  5. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    news:5%[email protected]
    >I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is 'de
    > rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon". People who want lemon
    > should
    > have to ask for it. (Oddly enough, these lemon wedges in the water don't
    > cost extra since it's not bottled water, yet the restauranteur has to pay
    > for lemons; go figure.) Who decided this? I take out the lemon with a
    > spoon but I hate finding lemon seeds floating in my ice water! If I
    > wanted
    > to make lemonade, I'd ask for more lemon wedges and sugar, much. I'd just
    > like plain old ice water, thanks.
    >
    > Jill <--feeling punchy after being up late and getting up early

    Dear Punchy,
    I always have mixed feelings when I see a wedge of lemon on my glass.
    First, I think, wonder if that lemon was rolling around on the floor.
    Second, to me, lemon is a purifier/cleanser for my stomach in case it has
    been rolling around on the floor.
    Trying to wake up myself,
    Dee Dee

  6. On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:14:40 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is 'de
    >rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon". People who want lemon should
    >have to ask for it. (Oddly enough, these lemon wedges in the water don't
    >cost extra since it's not bottled water, yet the restauranteur has to pay
    >for lemons; go figure.) Who decided this? I take out the lemon with a
    >spoon but I hate finding lemon seeds floating in my ice water! If I wanted
    >to make lemonade, I'd ask for more lemon wedges and sugar, much. I'd just
    >like plain old ice water, thanks.

    I'm that way with iced tea. When I want iced tea, all I want is iced
    tea (and a little - not a lot of) ice. To me, the lemon contaminates
    it, the way sugar contaminates coffee. On the other hand, I like
    receiving lemon with my water. Most of the tap water that I've
    encountered is downright nasty. The lemon helps mask that a bit.

    >Jill <--feeling punchy after being up late and getting up early

    Tell me about it! 4 hours of sleep last night, and we're on our way
    out for some minor surgery. UGH! I won't be posting this afternoon,
    because I have a date with my pillow.

    ObOT: Crash's daughter's baby has dropped, so we could be
    grandparents at any time now. It's a boy. Name is Zachary. If only
    that was the way they plan on spelling it. Z-A-K-E-R-Y. Hope it's
    not today. Can't drive 5 hours. Just can't.

    Granny Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  7. Some putative grandma wrote:
    >the way they plan on spelling it. Z-A-K-E-R-Y

    That's hideous. Can you get an injunction?

    --Blair

  8. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:14:40 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is
    >> 'de rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon".
    >> I take out the lemon with a spoon but I hate finding lemon seeds
    >> floating in my ice water!

    > I'm that way with iced tea. When I want iced tea, all I want is iced
    > tea (and a little - not a lot of) ice. To me, the lemon contaminates
    > it, the way sugar contaminates coffee. On the other hand, I like
    > receiving lemon with my water. Most of the tap water that I've
    > encountered is downright nasty. The lemon helps mask that a bit.

    I'm lucky enough to live in an area where the tap water is really nice. The
    city of Memphis is situated on top of a natural aquifer and the water all
    around it is very pure (yes, it's still treated). So it's sort of silly to
    add lemon to tap water here, or even to buy bottled water. I bought a
    bottle of water at the airport in Illinois because they didn't have a water
    fountain and when I go on trips I refill it with chilled water from home.
    <G>

    > ObOT: Crash's daughter's baby has dropped, so we could be
    > grandparents at any time now. It's a boy. Name is Zachary. If only
    > that was the way they plan on spelling it. Z-A-K-E-R-Y. Hope it's
    > not today. Can't drive 5 hours. Just can't.
    >
    > Granny Carol

    Oh no! Baby Zake (!) is about to make his debut? Oh well, no law says you
    have to be there. It's not like you're required in the delivery room,
    although I know you'd like to be. Get some rest; the baby could take a
    while.

    Jill

  9. Syssi

    Syssi Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" wrote things that I snipped because I just wanted to
    get to one of her newer sig lines...>

    > Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    > they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
    > ------------------

    I LOVE this!! I plan on sharing it with others... totally funny!

    --
    Syssi

  10. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Syssi wrote:
    > "Damsel in dis Dress" wrote things that I snipped because I just
    > wanted to get to one of her newer sig lines...>
    >
    >> Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    >> they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
    >> ------------------

    > I LOVE this!! I plan on sharing it with others... totally funny!

    This would explain to me why at my last job they gave us all slinkies ;)

  11. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:14:40 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

    > I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is 'de
    > rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon". People who want lemon should
    > have to ask for it. (Oddly enough, these lemon wedges in the water don't
    > cost extra since it's not bottled water, yet the restauranteur has to pay
    > for lemons; go figure.) Who decided this? I take out the lemon with a
    > spoon but I hate finding lemon seeds floating in my ice water! If I wanted
    > to make lemonade, I'd ask for more lemon wedges and sugar, much. I'd just
    > like plain old ice water, thanks.

    Maybe the lemons are to mask whatever nasty flavor (mentioned in
    another thread) is in the water.

    Personally, I like it when my water comes with lemon. They don't
    squeeze the lemon in; that's up to me (I do). AFAIC, lemon adds a
    nice zing to plain water and I like it.

  12. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    sf wrote:
    > On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:14:40 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is
    >> 'de rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon". People who want
    >> lemon should have to ask for it. (Oddly enough, these lemon wedges
    >> in the water don't cost extra since it's not bottled water, yet the
    >> restauranteur has to pay for lemons; go figure.) Who decided this?
    >> I take out the lemon with a spoon but I hate finding lemon seeds
    >> floating in my ice water! If I wanted to make lemonade, I'd ask
    >> for more lemon wedges and sugar, much. I'd just like plain old ice
    >> water, thanks.
    >>

    > Maybe the lemons are to mask whatever nasty flavor (mentioned in
    > another thread) is in the water.
    >
    > Personally, I like it when my water comes with lemon. They don't
    > squeeze the lemon in; that's up to me (I do). AFAIC, lemon adds a
    > nice zing to plain water and I like it.

    I like soda water with lime. But when I ask for a glass of water I want
    plain water. I'm lucky that I live in an area where the water isn't
    brackish and doesn't taste bad. But I don't want lemon unless I ask for it.
    Just bugs me. (go figure)

    Jill

  13. On 8 Apr 2006 09:14:42 -0700, "Blair P. Houghton"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Some putative grandma wrote:
    >>the way they plan on spelling it. Z-A-K-E-R-Y

    >That's hideous. Can you get an injunction?

    We've tried just about everything else. This is what happens when 18
    year olds procreate. :(

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  14. On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 11:17:45 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >> On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:14:40 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:

    >> ObOT: Crash's daughter's baby has dropped, so we could be
    >> grandparents at any time now. It's a boy. Name is Zachary. If only
    >> that was the way they plan on spelling it. Z-A-K-E-R-Y. Hope it's
    >> not today. Can't drive 5 hours. Just can't.
    >>
    >> Granny Carol

    >Oh no! Baby Zake (!) is about to make his debut? Oh well, no law says you
    >have to be there. It's not like you're required in the delivery room,
    >although I know you'd like to be. Get some rest; the baby could take a
    >while.

    Zak, I guess. Rhymes with yak. We're soooooo happy about that!

    There is NO WAY I'd want to be in the delivery room. Crash doesn't
    want to observe this thing, either. It's his little girl, after all.
    She can't be having a baby. Yeah, we're still kinda in denial.

    Granny
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  15. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:56:21 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

    > sf wrote:
    > > On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:14:40 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
    > >
    > >> I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is
    > >> 'de rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon". People who want
    > >> lemon should have to ask for it. (Oddly enough, these lemon wedges
    > >> in the water don't cost extra since it's not bottled water, yet the
    > >> restauranteur has to pay for lemons; go figure.) Who decided this?
    > >> I take out the lemon with a spoon but I hate finding lemon seeds
    > >> floating in my ice water! If I wanted to make lemonade, I'd ask
    > >> for more lemon wedges and sugar, much. I'd just like plain old ice
    > >> water, thanks.
    > >>

    > > Maybe the lemons are to mask whatever nasty flavor (mentioned in
    > > another thread) is in the water.
    > >
    > > Personally, I like it when my water comes with lemon. They don't
    > > squeeze the lemon in; that's up to me (I do). AFAIC, lemon adds a
    > > nice zing to plain water and I like it.

    > I like soda water with lime. But when I ask for a glass of water I want
    > plain water. I'm lucky that I live in an area where the water isn't
    > brackish and doesn't taste bad. But I don't want lemon unless I ask for it.
    > Just bugs me. (go figure)

    If you let little things like that get to you so much, you'll have
    nothing left for the bigger things that really matter.

    :(

  16. On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 17:08:16 GMT, "Syssi" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Damsel in dis Dress" wrote things that I snipped because I just wanted to
    >get to one of her newer sig lines...>
    >
    >> Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    >> they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
    >> ------------------

    >I LOVE this!! I plan on sharing it with others... totally funny!

    Go for it! I stole it (with permission), and you may borrow it from
    me. :D

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  17. Tara

    Tara Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 10:38:07 -0700, sf <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >AFAIC, lemon adds a nice zing to plain water and I like it.

    Have you ever tried floating a few slices of cucumber in your ice
    water? Water with cucumber has a lovely, refreshing scent and flavor.

    Tara

  18. On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:04:37 GMT, Tara <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Have you ever tried floating a few slices of cucumber in your ice
    >water? Water with cucumber has a lovely, refreshing scent and flavor.

    Wow! Thanks for the tip! Cukes are going right onto my shopping
    list!

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  19. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    But I don't want lemon unless I ask for it.
    > Just bugs me. (go figure)
    >
    > Jill

    No matter how they regularly bring it, they couldn't know who wants lemon
    or not - if they don't ask.
    I always am happy that they bring me lemon. Then I can choose how much or
    none at all. Most of all, for me, NO ICE!!! But that I always specify. It
    doesn't matter if they bring me ice, DH just confiscates the glass of ice
    water, and they bring another one with no ice.

    Dee Dee

  20. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Tara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 10:38:07 -0700, sf <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>AFAIC, lemon adds a nice zing to plain water and I like it.

    > Have you ever tried floating a few slices of cucumber in your ice
    > water? Water with cucumber has a lovely, refreshing scent and flavor.
    >
    > Tara

    I'm not down-grading your suggestion, I think it's lovely. My first
    reaction was the remembrance of a guy who was doing the flooring a few years
    ago talking about 'you could smell copperheads.' I asked what they smelled
    like, and he said "cucumber."
    Smiling,
    Dee Dee