Another Restaurant Water Complaint

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:04:37 GMT, Tara wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 10:38:07 -0700, sf <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >AFAIC, lemon adds a nice zing to plain water and I like it.

    > Have you ever tried floating a few slices of cucumber in your ice
    > water? Water with cucumber has a lovely, refreshing scent and flavor.

    NO! In fact, I've never heard of the practice... that sounds good for
    a hot day. In fact, why not keep a jug of water with both lemon and
    cucumber in the refrigerator?

    :)

  2. elaine

    elaine Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > But I don't want lemon unless I ask for it.
    >> Just bugs me. (go figure)
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > No matter how they regularly bring it, they couldn't know who wants lemon
    > or not - if they don't ask.
    > I always am happy that they bring me lemon. Then I can choose how much or
    > none at all. Most of all, for me, NO ICE!!! But that I always specify.
    > It doesn't matter if they bring me ice, DH just confiscates the glass of
    > ice water, and they bring another one with no ice.
    >
    > Dee Dee

    I'm with Jill, I hate lemon in my water - but what the heck, I just pluck it
    out! I do like ice though.

    We buy a lot of bottled water at home. There's way to much chlorine in the
    tap water here.

    Elaine

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    sf wrote:
    > On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:56:21 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> sf wrote:

    >> is >> 'de rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon".
    >> >>
    >> > Maybe the lemons are to mask whatever nasty flavor (mentioned in
    >> > another thread) is in the water.
    >> >
    >> > Personally, I like it when my water comes with lemon. They don't
    >> > squeeze the lemon in; that's up to me (I do). AFAIC, lemon adds a
    >> > nice zing to plain water and I like it.

    >> I like soda water with lime. But when I ask for a glass of water I
    >> want plain water. I'm lucky that I live in an area where the water
    >> isn't brackish and doesn't taste bad. But I don't want lemon
    >> unless I ask for it. Just bugs me. (go figure)
    >>

    > If you let little things like that get to you so much, you'll have
    > nothing left for the bigger things that really matter.
    >
    > :(

    I've already spent my life worrying about the bigger things. Nothing really
    matters anymore so I'm sorting through the small stuff ;)

  4. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    sf wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:04:37 GMT, Tara wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 10:38:07 -0700, sf
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >AFAIC, lemon adds a nice zing to plain water and I like it.

    >> Have you ever tried floating a few slices of cucumber in your ice
    >> water? Water with cucumber has a lovely, refreshing scent and
    >> flavor.
    >>

    > NO! In fact, I've never heard of the practice... that sounds good for
    > a hot day. In fact, why not keep a jug of water with both lemon and
    > cucumber in the refrigerator?
    >
    > :)

    Now I've heard everything! Cucumber-lemon water! How about if I just have
    a nice mint julep instead? ;)

  5. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 16:14:36 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

    > Now I've heard everything! Cucumber-lemon water! How about if I just have
    > a nice mint julep instead? ;)

    If you served it to me, I wouldn't say no.
    In fact, I'd go for seconds.
    lol

  6. "elaine" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > We buy a lot of bottled water at home. There's way to much chlorine in
    > the tap water here.
    >
    > Elaine

    A filter can save you a lot of money over a year's time.

  7. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    sf wrote:
    > Tara wrote:
    > >
    > > Have you ever tried floating a few slices of cucumber in your ice
    > > water? Water with cucumber has a lovely, refreshing scent and flavor.
    > >

    > NO! In fact, I've never heard of the practice... that sounds good for
    > a hot day.

    In my house we floated cukes in a wooden barrel and called them kosher
    dills.

    Sheldon

  8. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    elaine wrote:

    > We buy a lot of bottled water at home. There's way to much chlorine in the
    > tap water here.

    Use a Reverse Osmosis filtration system.... produces water far cleaner
    than bottled, costs about a penny a gallon, and no lugging bottles.

    Sheldon

  9. jay

    jay Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:47:37 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

    > elaine wrote:
    >>
    >> We buy a lot of bottled water at home. There's way to much chlorine in the
    >> tap water here.

    > Use a Reverse Osmosis filtration system.... produces water far cleaner
    > than bottled, costs about a penny a gallon, and no lugging bottles.
    >
    > Sheldon

    Yep, we have it on tap at the sink.. and we are on city water. I have
    read that it is supposed to make a more acidic h20 and therefore hard on
    tooth enamel. I have a ph test kit..maybe I'll use it and see.

  10. On Sat 08 Apr 2006 05:51:42p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jay?

    > On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:47:37 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
    >

    >> elaine wrote:
    >>>
    >>> We buy a lot of bottled water at home. There's way to much chlorine
    >>> in the tap water here.

    >> Use a Reverse Osmosis filtration system.... produces water far cleaner
    >> than bottled, costs about a penny a gallon, and no lugging bottles.
    >>
    >> Sheldon

    > Yep, we have it on tap at the sink.. and we are on city water. I have
    > read that it is supposed to make a more acidic h20 and therefore hard on
    > tooth enamel. I have a ph test kit..maybe I'll use it and see.

    I'd be interested in knowing, as I've heard that it is supposed to produce
    water that is neutral.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  11. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

    > On Sat 08 Apr 2006 05:51:42p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jay?
    >
    >> On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:47:37 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

    >>> Use a Reverse Osmosis filtration system.... produces water far cleaner
    >>> than bottled, costs about a penny a gallon, and no lugging bottles.

    >> Yep, we have it on tap at the sink.. and we are on city water. I have
    >> read that it is supposed to make a more acidic h20 and therefore hard on
    >> tooth enamel. I have a ph test kit..maybe I'll use it and see.

    > I'd be interested in knowing, as I've heard that it is supposed to produce
    > water that is neutral.

    I wish this had come up earlier, this week my pool liner and filter are
    being replaced, I didn't ask about an osmosis filter. Might be too
    late to ask now.

    nancy

  12. On Sat 08 Apr 2006 06:24:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    Young?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

    >>> Yep, we have it on tap at the sink.. and we are on city water. I have
    >>> read that it is supposed to make a more acidic h20 and therefore hard
    >>> on tooth enamel. I have a ph test kit..maybe I'll use it and see.

    >> I'd be interested in knowing, as I've heard that it is supposed to
    >> produce water that is neutral.

    > I wish this had come up earlier, this week my pool liner and filter are
    > being replaced, I didn't ask about an osmosis filter. Might be too
    > late to ask now.

    You'd put a reverse osmosis filter on your pool?

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  13. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

    > On Sat 08 Apr 2006 06:24:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    > Young?

    >> I wish this had come up earlier, this week my pool liner and filter are
    >> being replaced, I didn't ask about an osmosis filter. Might be too
    >> late to ask now.

    > You'd put a reverse osmosis filter on your pool?

    There is something like that for pools, yes. They need to be
    cleaned, too.

    nancy

  14. Tara

    Tara Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 14:10:04 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wow! Thanks for the tip! Cukes are going right onto my shopping
    >list!

    I do hope you like it. A very chi-chi spa around here serves iced
    water with cucumber, so -- do your nails, apply a face mask, and
    enjoy!

    Tara

  15. Tara

    Tara Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 13:03:57 -0700, sf <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:04:37 GMT, Tara wrote:

    >> Have you ever tried floating a few slices of cucumber in your ice
    >> water? Water with cucumber has a lovely, refreshing scent and flavor.
    >>

    >NO! In fact, I've never heard of the practice... that sounds good for
    >a hot day. In fact, why not keep a jug of water with both lemon and
    >cucumber in the refrigerator?

    Oooh, that sounds very refreshing and just unusual enough to be a bit
    "fancy" for company.

    Tara

  16. On Sat 08 Apr 2006 06:41:33p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    Young?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
    >
    >> On Sat 08 Apr 2006 06:24:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    >> Young?

    >>> I wish this had come up earlier, this week my pool liner and filter are
    >>> being replaced, I didn't ask about an osmosis filter. Might be too
    >>> late to ask now.

    >> You'd put a reverse osmosis filter on your pool?

    > There is something like that for pools, yes. They need to be
    > cleaned, too.

    I'd probably be more inclined to look into an ultraviolet sterilizer to use
    in conjunction with your conventional filter. It cuts back or eliminates
    the need for chlorine. Probably less expensive than an RO pool filter,
    which is a terribly inefficient filtration system per volume of water.

    We had an ultraviolet unit in our spa. We only needed to shock it with a
    complete refill of water, and never added chlorine type chemicals after
    that. The only thing we checked periodically was the PH.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  17. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

    > We had an ultraviolet unit in our spa. We only needed to shock it with a
    > complete refill of water, and never added chlorine type chemicals after
    > that. The only thing we checked periodically was the PH.

    Thank you, Wayne!

    nancy

  18. On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:14:40 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    >I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is 'de
    >rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon".

    <snip>

    And who puts peach/papaya/anyotherf*cking thing in iced tea? Just
    gimme iced tea, dammit!

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
    classed as cannybals."

    Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

  19. Serene

    Serene Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 20:07:15 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:14:40 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    >rummaged among random neurons and opined:
    >
    >>I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is 'de
    >>rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon".

    ><snip>
    >
    >And who puts peach/papaya/anyotherf*cking thing in iced tea? Just
    >gimme iced tea, dammit!

    Amen! I have taken to asking "Is there fruit or other flavoring in
    the iced tea?" and even then there is half the time, to the point
    where I've stopped ordering iced tea at all unless it's at a cafe
    where you can pick which tea gets brewed and iced.

    serene

  20. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:URWZf.9220$%[email protected]

    > "elaine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>
    >> We buy a lot of bottled water at home. There's way to much chlorine in
    >> the tap water here.
    >>
    >> Elaine

    > A filter can save you a lot of money over a year's time.

    We used to own a tip-top water distiller; now I just buy distilled water in
    a container.
    We have reverse osmosis also for home cooking.
    But I still buy bottled water in small containers for personal use outside
    the house. Some of it makes me queezy, I have to find a brand that agrees
    with my stomach.
    Dee Dee