Another Restaurant Water Complaint

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:
    > "Tara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Have you ever tried floating a few slices of cucumber in your ice
    > > water? Water with cucumber has a lovely, refreshing scent and flavor.
    > >
    > > Tara

    > I'm not down-grading your suggestion, I think it's lovely. My first
    > reaction was the remembrance of a guy who was doing the flooring a few years
    > ago talking about 'you could smell copperheads.' I asked what they smelled
    > like, and he said "cucumber."
    > Smiling,
    > Dee Dee

    He was pulling your leg... I believe he meant one eyed copperheads.
    <g>

    Sheldon

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    jay wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:47:37 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
    >

    > > elaine wrote:
    > >>
    > >> We buy a lot of bottled water at home. There's way to much chlorine in the
    > >> tap water here.

    > > Use a Reverse Osmosis filtration system.... produces water far cleaner
    > > than bottled, costs about a penny a gallon, and no lugging bottles.
    > >
    > > Sheldon

    > Yep, we have it on tap at the sink.. and we are on city water. I have
    > read that it is supposed to make a more acidic h20 and therefore hard on
    > tooth enamel. I have a ph test kit..maybe I'll use it and see.

    Yeah, but... even if your water tests acid how ill you know it wasn't
    acid without the RO... you'd need to disconnect the RO, use your water
    for a few days, and then test it. I believe water can test acid just
    from running through copper pipes, water can become ionized just from
    flowing. You might also want to test your water after it's been in a
    jar in your fridge at rest for a while. Anyway I seriously doubt the
    RO can on it's own acidify your water.

    Sheldon

  3. On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 23:15:11 -0400, "Dee Randall"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >But I still buy bottled water in small containers for personal use outside
    >the house. Some of it makes me queezy, I have to find a brand that agrees
    >with my stomach.

    Why not save those empty bottles, re-fill them with good water from
    your tap, and keep a few in the refrigerator? Then you don't have to
    guess about quality.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  4. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 23:15:11 -0400, "Dee Randall"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>But I still buy bottled water in small containers for personal use outside
    >>the house. Some of it makes me queezy, I have to find a brand that agrees
    >>with my stomach.

    > Why not save those empty bottles, re-fill them with good water from
    > your tap, and keep a few in the refrigerator? Then you don't have to
    > guess about quality.
    >
    > Carol
    > --

    I may just do that --thanks for the suggestion. Right now BJ's water agrees
    with me -- Deer Park does not; Walmart does not and so on. Sometimes I
    think they change suppliers or something changes or my stomach changes.

    DH fills a number of our used (either 1/2 gal. or gal.) distilled water
    bottles with reverse osmosis water in case our well goes out for a week.

    Even though we have reverse osmosis, I am anxious for him to get installed
    an ultraviolet something-or-other that he said he was going to order. I
    will use reverse osmosis water for cooking, but still I want a little
    something extra for drinking straight-up.

    Thanks for chatting about this -- I'm going to get on his case about
    getting it ordered; I know/think he's forgotten. He's been plastering up
    the wall the last few days where the new electrical panel went in. That got
    finished today.
    Dee Dee

  5. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > On 8 Apr 2006 09:14:42 -0700, "Blair P. Houghton"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Some putative grandma wrote:
    > >>the way they plan on spelling it. Z-A-K-E-R-Y

    > >That's hideous. Can you get an injunction?

    > We've tried just about everything else. This is what happens when 18
    > year olds procreate. :(
    >
    > Carol

    Yikes! Well it could be worse...it could be Zhacckkarry or something -
    you see all sorts of cre8ive names nowdays!

    Good luck to those parents - they are gonna need it!

    -L.

  6. On 8 Apr 2006 22:58:33 -0700, "-L." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >> On 8 Apr 2006 09:14:42 -0700, "Blair P. Houghton"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >That's hideous. Can you get an injunction?

    >> We've tried just about everything else. This is what happens when 18
    >> year olds procreate. :(

    >Yikes! Well it could be worse...it could be Zhacckkarry or something -
    >you see all sorts of cre8ive names nowdays!

    Good point.

    >Good luck to those parents - they are gonna need it!

    We anticipate that the maternal grandmother will raise the child.
    These kids are ... kids. They're sure not parent material. This
    really sucks.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  7. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > We anticipate that the maternal grandmother will raise the child.
    > These kids are ... kids. They're sure not parent material. This
    > really sucks.
    >
    > Carol

    What's sad is that kids in these sorts of situations don't consider
    adoption. They almost never do - because they see the child as an
    extension of themselves. Women who choose to make adoption plans are
    almost always in their late 20-30's and have one or more children
    already. They know how hard it is to raise a child and know that they
    cannot care for another. The teens who do place are usually those who
    have Mothers who are very strong advocates for adoption - but those are
    very few and far between.

    And there are so many childless couples who can afford to give the
    child a loving life with so many opportunities - college, etc. I just
    hate to see a baby grow up under hardship when there are options out
    there.

    -L.

  8. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
    > On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:14:40 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    > rummaged among random neurons and opined:
    >
    >> I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is
    >> 'de rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon".

    > <snip>
    >
    > And who puts peach/papaya/anyotherf*cking thing in iced tea? Just
    > gimme iced tea, dammit!
    >
    > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

    LOL! If I liked ice tea I'd feel the same way! Tea is supposed to be tea;
    if you don't like the taste, don't add fruit, just don't drink tea.

    Jill

  9. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

    >> And who puts peach/papaya/anyotherf*cking thing in iced tea? Just
    >> gimme iced tea, dammit!

    > LOL! If I liked ice tea I'd feel the same way! Tea is supposed to be
    > tea;
    > if you don't like the taste, don't add fruit, just don't drink tea.

    When I went to Baja Fresh, I ordered iced tea, thinking maybe they
    had that. Sure, iced tea and she hands me a cup. Oh, it's from one
    of those soda things. Whatever. Go over with my tacos, get my
    nice salsa, etc., go to the soda thing ... raspberry iced tea.

    Raspberry iced tea and beef tacos and quesadillas. Mmmm ... no.
    Too bad no sangria on tap.

    Of all the iced teas that give me the heebie jeebies, peach has to
    top the list. Ugh.

    nancy

  10. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

    >>> And who puts peach/papaya/anyotherf*cking thing in iced tea? Just
    >>> gimme iced tea, dammit!

    >> LOL! If I liked ice tea I'd feel the same way! Tea is supposed to be
    >> tea;
    >> if you don't like the taste, don't add fruit, just don't drink tea.

    > When I went to Baja Fresh, I ordered iced tea, thinking maybe they
    > had that. Sure, iced tea and she hands me a cup. Oh, it's from one
    > of those soda things. Whatever. Go over with my tacos, get my
    > nice salsa, etc., go to the soda thing ... raspberry iced tea.
    >
    > Raspberry iced tea and beef tacos and quesadillas. Mmmm ... no.
    > Too bad no sangria on tap.
    >
    > Of all the iced teas that give me the heebie jeebies, peach has to
    > top the list. Ugh.
    >
    > nancy

    We buy a caseload of water at a time - I believe from Walmart - with
    fragranced peach - or peach water. For F-I-L. He loves it. That's a good
    word, it gives me the heebie jeebies. Love peaches, but Yikes - peach
    water? forget it!
    Dee Dee

  11. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:
    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    >>> LOL! If I liked ice tea I'd feel the same way! Tea is supposed to
    >>> be tea;
    >>> if you don't like the taste, don't add fruit, just don't drink tea.

    >> When I went to Baja Fresh, I ordered iced tea, thinking maybe they
    >> had that. Sure, iced tea and she hands me a cup. Oh, it's from one
    >> of those soda things. Whatever. Go over with my tacos, get my
    >> nice salsa, etc., go to the soda thing ... raspberry iced tea.
    >>
    >> Raspberry iced tea and beef tacos and quesadillas. Mmmm ... no.
    >> Too bad no sangria on tap.
    >>
    >> Of all the iced teas that give me the heebie jeebies, peach has to
    >> top the list. Ugh.
    >>
    >> nancy
    >>

    > We buy a caseload of water at a time - I believe from Walmart - with
    > fragranced peach - or peach water. For F-I-L. He loves it. That's
    > a good word, it gives me the heebie jeebies. Love peaches, but Yikes
    > - peach water? forget it!
    > Dee Dee

    Yep, that's the new(er) thing. Bottled water wasn't good enough. Or maybe
    someone figured out, hey, it's just bottled water! Now they add a touch of
    fruit juice. I haven't checked but I'll bet they charge about 25 cents
    extra for that.

    Jill <--drinking nice cold ice water from the tap

  12. On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 08:55:29 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Yep, that's the new(er) thing. Bottled water wasn't good enough. Or maybe
    >someone figured out, hey, it's just bottled water! Now they add a touch of
    >fruit juice. I haven't checked but I'll bet they charge about 25 cents
    >extra for that.

    I can get black cherry flavored, Splenda sweetened, carbonated water
    from WalMart for $.50 per liter. And it's a special treat, since I
    usually drink our nasty tap water.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  13. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 08:55:29 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Yep, that's the new(er) thing. Bottled water wasn't good enough. Or
    >>maybe
    >>someone figured out, hey, it's just bottled water! Now they add a touch
    >>of
    >>fruit juice. I haven't checked but I'll bet they charge about 25 cents
    >>extra for that.

    > I can get black cherry flavored, Splenda sweetened, carbonated water
    > from WalMart for $.50 per liter. And it's a special treat, since I
    > usually drink our nasty tap water.
    >
    > Carol

    I've never figured out what "flavored" means.
    Dee Dee

  14. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    news:5%[email protected]
    >I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is 'de
    > rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon". People who want lemon should
    > have to ask for it. (Oddly enough, these lemon wedges in the water don't
    > cost extra since it's not bottled water, yet the restauranteur has to pay
    > for lemons; go figure.) Who decided this? I take out the lemon with a
    > spoon but I hate finding lemon seeds floating in my ice water! If I wanted
    > to make lemonade, I'd ask for more lemon wedges and sugar, much. I'd just
    > like plain old ice water, thanks.
    >
    > Jill <--feeling punchy after being up late and getting up early

    I have the same issue with tea. I don't know who decided *everyone* must love lemon
    in their tea, but I hate it. Even when I say no lemon, it is there.

    kimberly

  15. elaine

    elaine Guest

    > "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 08:55:29 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yep, that's the new(er) thing. Bottled water wasn't good enough. Or
    >>>maybe
    >>>someone figured out, hey, it's just bottled water! Now they add a touch
    >>>of
    >>>fruit juice. I haven't checked but I'll bet they charge about 25 cents
    >>>extra for that.

    >> I can get black cherry flavored, Splenda sweetened, carbonated water
    >> from WalMart for $.50 per liter. And it's a special treat, since I
    >> usually drink our nasty tap water.
    >>
    >> Carol

    > I've never figured out what "flavored" means.
    > Dee Dee

    I think there's a joke in there somewhere! But my knees are sore from a
    night of dancing and I can't think straight!

    Elaine

  16. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "elaine" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    >> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> message news:[email protected]

    >>> I can get black cherry flavored, Splenda sweetened, carbonated water
    >>> from WalMart for $.50 per liter. And it's a special treat, since I
    >>> usually drink our nasty tap water.
    >>>
    >>> Carol

    >> I've never figured out what "flavored" means.
    >> Dee Dee

    > I think there's a joke in there somewhere! But my knees are sore from
    > a night of dancing and I can't think straight!
    >
    > Elaine

    And after all this time, here I was reading the subject line as:

    Another Restaurant Waiter Complaint

    Probably a million threads for that in the archives.

    Geez...

    Andy
    Kick Me!

  17. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:5%[email protected]
    >>I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is 'de
    >> rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon". People who want lemon
    >> should
    >> have to ask for it. (Oddly enough, these lemon wedges in the water don't
    >> cost extra since it's not bottled water, yet the restauranteur has to pay
    >> for lemons; go figure.) Who decided this? I take out the lemon with a
    >> spoon but I hate finding lemon seeds floating in my ice water! If I
    >> wanted
    >> to make lemonade, I'd ask for more lemon wedges and sugar, much. I'd
    >> just
    >> like plain old ice water, thanks.
    >>
    >> Jill <--feeling punchy after being up late and getting up early

    > I have the same issue with tea. I don't know who decided *everyone* must
    > love lemon in their tea, but I hate it.

    Even when I say no lemon, it is there.

    > kimberly

    But - but -- kimberly, how can that be?
    Dee Dee

  18. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Nexis wrote:

    > I have the same issue with tea. I don't know who decided *everyone* must love lemon
    > in their tea, but I hate it. Even when I say no lemon, it is there.

    I am with you there. I like a slice of lemon in water. I like good deal. I don't
    understand lemon in tea. It is unnecessary in iced tea and horrible in hot tea.

  19. On 8 Apr 2006 23:34:26 -0700, "-L." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >> We anticipate that the maternal grandmother will raise the child.
    >> These kids are ... kids. They're sure not parent material. This
    >> really sucks.

    >What's sad is that kids in these sorts of situations don't consider
    >adoption. They almost never do - because they see the child as an
    >extension of themselves. Women who choose to make adoption plans are
    >almost always in their late 20-30's and have one or more children
    >already. They know how hard it is to raise a child and know that they
    >cannot care for another. The teens who do place are usually those who
    >have Mothers who are very strong advocates for adoption - but those are
    >very few and far between.
    >
    >And there are so many childless couples who can afford to give the
    >child a loving life with so many opportunities - college, etc. I just
    >hate to see a baby grow up under hardship when there are options out
    >there.

    Yeah, she has a romanticized idea about having a baby. Wait until
    reality slams her against the wall.

    You're a kind soul. I wish that Kidzilla would make someone like you
    very happy. Her mother won't *let* her go the adoption route. Mommy
    likes babies, so she'll happily be a surrogate. The whole thing
    really disturbs both Crash and me.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  20. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:

    > Nexis wrote:
    >

    >>I have the same issue with tea. I don't know who decided *everyone* must love lemon
    >>in their tea, but I hate it. Even when I say no lemon, it is there.
    >>

    > I am with you there. I like a slice of lemon in water. I like good deal. I don't
    > understand lemon in tea. It is unnecessary in iced tea and horrible in hot tea.

    My preferences: slice of lemon in club soda, water and hot tea but not
    in most herbal teas. I make suntea using herbal tea, green or black
    tea, slices of lemon, and fresh mint or other herbs, no sugar. I'm one
    of those who do not like ice in any drink but I will drink suntea cold.