Another Restaurant Water Complaint

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. ms_peacock

    ms_peacock Guest

    "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:afb_f.1[email protected]

    > I have the same issue with tea. I don't know who decided *everyone* must
    > love lemon in their tea, but I hate it. Even when I say no lemon, it is
    > there.
    >
    > kimberly

    Make them take it back and give you a new one. Would you accept something
    else you ordered wrong?

    Ms P

  2. On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 08:55:29 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    >Yep, that's the new(er) thing. Bottled water wasn't good enough. Or maybe
    >someone figured out, hey, it's just bottled water! Now they add a touch of
    >fruit juice. I haven't checked but I'll bet they charge about 25 cents
    >extra for that.

    You ought to see the vending machine at the gym. Has pro'lly 40
    "energy" drinks of every flavor and additive you could possibly dream
    up. And they charge $2 US, which seems pretty pricey. <shrug> I just
    bring my own bottled water...flavored like *water* <g>

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
    classed as cannybals."

    Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

    > ObOT: Crash's daughter's baby has dropped, so we could be
    > grandparents at any time now. It's a boy. Name is Zachary. If only
    > that was the way they plan on spelling it. Z-A-K-E-R-Y. Hope it's
    > not today. Can't drive 5 hours. Just can't.

    That reminds me of someone on the pregnancy groups who was spelling
    her son's name something like Alyxzandir. It sounded exactly the same
    as the standard spelling, she just wanted to be unique. I said it made
    her look like an illiterate teenage mother, and that if she wanted a
    unique name she should actually pick a unique name instead of
    bastardizing another one. That won me popularity votes. ;)

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  4. On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 08:15:32 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, "ms_peacock"
    <[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:

    >"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> I don't like lemon in my water or iced tea. In St. Louis the trend is not
    >> to give lemon in water unless requested. OTOH when I order iced tea
    >> without lemon it invariably comes with it.
    >>
    >> Michael

    >When I order iced tea without lemon and it comes with lemon I make them take
    >it back and bring me a new one. I can tell if they just take the lemon off.
    >The tip goes down dramatically when they just take the lemon off and bring
    >it back to me. I've also noticed another strange phenomenon, if I order tea
    >with no lemon a fair amount of the time hubby won't get lemon on his tea
    >either.
    >
    >Ms P

    So, how do you like drinking spit?

  5. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 04:42:33 GMT, projectile vomit chick
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 08:15:32 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, "ms_peacock"
    ><[email protected]> hit the crackpipe and declared:
    >>
    >>"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> I don't like lemon in my water or iced tea. In St. Louis the trend is not
    >>> to give lemon in water unless requested. OTOH when I order iced tea
    >>> without lemon it invariably comes with it.

    >>When I order iced tea without lemon and it comes with lemon I make them take
    >>it back and bring me a new one. I can tell if they just take the lemon off.
    >>The tip goes down dramatically when they just take the lemon off and bring
    >>it back to me. I've also noticed another strange phenomenon, if I order tea
    >>with no lemon a fair amount of the time hubby won't get lemon on his tea
    >>either.

    >So, how do you like drinking spit?

    Heehee! That's one of the reasons I often sit and meekly accept
    whatever they bring me. Depends on what was requested and what was
    served. I've never sent tea back because it came with lemon. I would
    if I had a citrus acid allergy or something, though.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  6. On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:31:05 -0700, Ranee Mueller
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> ObOT: Crash's daughter's baby has dropped, so we could be
    >> grandparents at any time now. It's a boy. Name is Zachary. If only
    >> that was the way they plan on spelling it. Z-A-K-E-R-Y. Hope it's
    >> not today. Can't drive 5 hours. Just can't.

    > That reminds me of someone on the pregnancy groups who was spelling
    >her son's name something like Alyxzandir. It sounded exactly the same
    >as the standard spelling, she just wanted to be unique. I said it made
    >her look like an illiterate teenage mother, and that if she wanted a
    >unique name she should actually pick a unique name instead of
    >bastardizing another one. That won me popularity votes. ;)

    Oh, I'll just bet! If I give you the phone number, wanna have a talk
    with the mother-to-be? <G>

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  7. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote

    > That reminds me of someone on the pregnancy groups who was spelling
    > her son's name something like Alyxzandir. It sounded exactly the same
    > as the standard spelling, she just wanted to be unique. I said it made
    > her look like an illiterate teenage mother, and that if she wanted a
    > unique name she should actually pick a unique name instead of
    > bastardizing another one. That won me popularity votes. ;)

    Well, she needed a slap. Hope you slapped some sense into her.
    I have an idea, people want to get cutesy with names, change their
    own name and quit saddling their children with it. That is lame.

    nancy

  8. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> That reminds me of someone on the pregnancy groups who was spelling
    >> her son's name something like Alyxzandir. It sounded exactly the same
    >> as the standard spelling, she just wanted to be unique. I said it made
    >> her look like an illiterate teenage mother, and that if she wanted a
    >> unique name she should actually pick a unique name instead of
    >> bastardizing another one. That won me popularity votes. ;)

    > Well, she needed a slap. Hope you slapped some sense into her.
    > I have an idea, people want to get cutesy with names, change their
    > own name and quit saddling their children with it. That is lame.
    >
    > nancy

    I SOOOOOOOOooooo agree! Why parents saddle their children with names
    that scream "lower socioeconomic" or "Mom watches too many daytime
    dramas" is beyond me? Why subject a kid to always having their name
    misspelled or mispronounced? And please limit the use of apostrophes, if
    you must have them, to one per name please!?

  9. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:03:49 -0400, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Nancy Young wrote:
    >> "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >>> That reminds me of someone on the pregnancy groups who was spelling
    >>> her son's name something like Alyxzandir. It sounded exactly the same
    >>> as the standard spelling, she just wanted to be unique. I said it made
    >>> her look like an illiterate teenage mother, and that if she wanted a
    >>> unique name she should actually pick a unique name instead of
    >>> bastardizing another one. That won me popularity votes. ;)

    >> Well, she needed a slap. Hope you slapped some sense into her.
    >> I have an idea, people want to get cutesy with names, change their
    >> own name and quit saddling their children with it. That is lame.
    >>
    >> nancy

    >I SOOOOOOOOooooo agree! Why parents saddle their children with names
    >that scream "lower socioeconomic" or "Mom watches too many daytime
    >dramas" is beyond me? Why subject a kid to always having their name
    >misspelled or mispronounced? And please limit the use of apostrophes, if
    >you must have them, to one per name please!?

    I am a big believer is "classic" names for kids. Why force children to
    forgo one of life's silliest pleasures....standing in line at the
    dollar store staring at a rack of weird keychains and spotting you own
    name.

    Boron

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well, she needed a slap. Hope you slapped some sense into her.
    > I have an idea, people want to get cutesy with names, change their
    > own name and quit saddling their children with it. That is lame.

    I don't think I changed her mind. The thing is, I totally understand
    giving your child a unique or ethnic name, we did it with our kids.
    But to take a name and just rewrite it so it will be different, or
    something, just screams illiterate and unwed.

    I was saddled with a "unique" spelling for my name my whole life, and
    although I learned to deal with it and I wouldn't change it now, it
    caused a whole lot of grief and is still mispronounced most of the time
    and misspelled. New and substitute teachers always paused when they got
    to my name on the roster, the whole deal. We didn't want to do that to
    our kids. So we tried to look for unique/unusual names that were still
    recognizeable and could be easily pronounced from reading them.

    We were surprised that so many people mispronounced Amira, though.
    Even though it was an ethnic name, and because of the different
    alphabets we were transliterating, we thought it was pretty easy to
    pronounce from sight. We thought it was safe to give our daughters
    ethnic names, since girls with foreign names tend to be seen as having
    pretty names rather than strange names. The boys got their Arabic names
    as middle names.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  11. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Boron Elgar wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:03:49 -0400, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Nancy Young wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote

    >>>Well, she needed a slap. Hope you slapped some sense into her.
    >>>I have an idea, people want to get cutesy with names, change their
    >>>own name and quit saddling their children with it. That is lame.
    >>>
    >>>nancy

    >>I SOOOOOOOOooooo agree! Why parents saddle their children with names
    >>that scream "lower socioeconomic" or "Mom watches too many daytime
    >>dramas" is beyond me? Why subject a kid to always having their name
    >>misspelled or mispronounced? And please limit the use of apostrophes, if
    >>you must have them, to one per name please!?

    > I am a big believer is "classic" names for kids. Why force children to
    > forgo one of life's silliest pleasures....standing in line at the
    > dollar store staring at a rack of weird keychains and spotting you own
    > name.
    >
    > Boron

    True story. I was heartbent of naming our first Obedia (sp), a biblical
    name - at the time I knew the correct spelling, now I don't care. After
    many months of disagreement, DH pointed out the feminine products
    commerical for OB. Needless to say our first born was not named that
    but does have a biblical name as do all our kids. I think it is kind of
    neat to give your kids a unique name. The problem, from experience, is
    no one knows how to say let alone spell the name and it really becomes a
    bain in that kid's future life.

  12. On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:31:05 -0700, Ranee Mueller
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> ObOT: Crash's daughter's baby has dropped, so we could be
    >> grandparents at any time now. It's a boy. Name is Zachary. If only
    >> that was the way they plan on spelling it. Z-A-K-E-R-Y. Hope it's
    >> not today. Can't drive 5 hours. Just can't.

    > That reminds me of someone on the pregnancy groups who was spelling
    >her son's name something like Alyxzandir. It sounded exactly the same
    >as the standard spelling, she just wanted to be unique. I said it made
    >her look like an illiterate teenage mother, and that if she wanted a
    >unique name she should actually pick a unique name instead of
    >bastardizing another one. That won me popularity votes. ;)

    I just got off the phone with my niece. She's settled on a name for
    her son, who's due in August. Ethan Michael. E-T-H-E-N. Being
    called an idiot has no effect on these kids, but I had to try.

    It was kinda cool, though. I'm her godmother, and she called me
    before she called her biological mother. Made me smile.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  13. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:33:33 -0400, "Nancy Young"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> That reminds me of someone on the pregnancy groups who was spelling
    >> her son's name something like Alyxzandir. It sounded exactly the same
    >> as the standard spelling, she just wanted to be unique. I said it made
    >> her look like an illiterate teenage mother, and that if she wanted a
    >> unique name she should actually pick a unique name instead of
    >> bastardizing another one. That won me popularity votes. ;)

    >Well, she needed a slap. Hope you slapped some sense into her.
    >I have an idea, people want to get cutesy with names, change their
    >own name and quit saddling their children with it. That is lame.

    Next time someone's pregnant with a girl, I'm gonna tell them to name
    her Nancy. :D

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  14. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote

    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:33:33 -0400, "Nancy Young"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Well, she needed a slap. Hope you slapped some sense into her.
    >>I have an idea, people want to get cutesy with names, change their
    >>own name and quit saddling their children with it. That is lame.

    > Next time someone's pregnant with a girl, I'm gonna tell them to name
    > her Nancy. :D

    (laugh) Now why you want to pick on Nancy Dooley like that?

    nancy

  15. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:43:25 -0700, Ranee Mueller
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Oh, I'll just bet! If I give you the phone number, wanna have a talk
    >> with the mother-to-be? <G>

    > I don't know that I'd call a stranger who didn't ask my opinion, but
    >there are days when I think I could do that. ;)

    I'm gonna need you to work on my niece, too. E-T-H-E-N. What does it
    take? Do we need to get you schnockered?

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  16. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:33:33 -0400, "Nancy Young"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>"Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >>> That reminds me of someone on the pregnancy groups who was spelling
    >>> her son's name something like Alyxzandir. It sounded exactly the same
    >>> as the standard spelling, she just wanted to be unique. I said it made
    >>> her look like an illiterate teenage mother, and that if she wanted a
    >>> unique name she should actually pick a unique name instead of
    >>> bastardizing another one. That won me popularity votes. ;)

    >>Well, she needed a slap. Hope you slapped some sense into her.
    >>I have an idea, people want to get cutesy with names, change their
    >>own name and quit saddling their children with it. That is lame.

    > Next time someone's pregnant with a girl, I'm gonna tell them to name
    > her Nancy. :D
    >
    > Carol

    I just had another great-grandson last month. His name is Mason -- well,
    you know what the name reminds me of right off -- tee hee. Just can't help
    it!
    Wonder if this is a NEW name, Mason?
    Daren't ask.
    Dee Dee

  17. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

    > Next time someone's pregnant with a girl, I'm gonna tell them to name
    > her Nancy. :D
    >
    > Carol

    My mothers name was spelled Nancie. The nuns refused to call her by her
    given name because "it wasn't a saints name but rather the name of a
    billy goat." They called her Ann for all her years in school (St.
    Dominic's, Oyster Bay, L.I.) LOL
    Goomba

  18. "jmcquown" <[email protected]> writes:

    >I don't expect lemons in my water. Who decided lemons in water is 'de
    >rigeur'? I shouldn't have to say "no lemon". People who want lemon should
    >have to ask for it.

    I agree, but I always take advantage of the lemon situation because I
    love lots of lemon in my iced tea. So I get all the lemon from the
    water AND what was brought with my tea. Victory!
    I've never had a waitperson remember to bring me extra lemon for my
    tea if I asked for it. Never. Maybe when I remind them but they never
    remember the first time. I must be a mutant to want so much lemon.

    Stacia

  19. Serene <[email protected]> writes:

    >On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 20:07:15 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
    ><[email protected]> wrote:

    >>And who puts peach/papaya/anyotherf*cking thing in iced tea? Just
    >>gimme iced tea, dammit!

    >Amen! I have taken to asking "Is there fruit or other flavoring in
    >the iced tea?" and even then there is half the time, to the point
    >where I've stopped ordering iced tea at all unless it's at a cafe
    >where you can pick which tea gets brewed and iced.

    Even though Kansas isn't the South at all, much of the iced tea around
    here is sweet tea or comes with sweetener in it. I don't want to drink
    soda all the time but unless I want some overly sweetened lemonade or
    sweet iced tea there's no other options except at the higher scale
    restaurants. Iced tea should not be fussed with!

    Stacia