Another Restaurant Water Complaint

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:6ifl325e6n49n34lnftr14n5gjoqbb60[email protected]:

    > I'm gonna need you to work on my niece, too. E-T-H-E-N. What does it
    > take? Do we need to get you schnockered?
    >
    > Carol

    schnockered

    Isn't that a billiard term? ;)

    Andy

  2. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:25:40 -0400, "Dee Randall"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I just had another great-grandson last month. His name is Mason -- well,
    >you know what the name reminds me of right off -- tee hee. Just can't help
    >it!
    >Wonder if this is a NEW name, Mason?

    Mason Williams of "Classical Gas" fame.

    Mason what's-his-name from commercials. A child actor with extremely
    orange hair and a strange, squoosy face. What was his last name?

    The name's been around, but hasn't been hugely popular, that I'm aware
    of. There are several characters in the Wizard of Oz named Mason. ;)

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  3. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:44:24 -0400, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >My mothers name was spelled Nancie. The nuns refused to call her by her
    >given name because "it wasn't a saints name but rather the name of a
    >billy goat." They called her Ann for all her years in school (St.
    >Dominic's, Oyster Bay, L.I.) LOL

    A childhood friend of mine was almost not permitted to leave the
    (Catholic) hospital because her parents had named her Laurie. They
    made up for it later with Peter and Paul. Somehow, they sneaked
    Michelle out of the hospital.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  4. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:25:40 -0400, "Dee Randall"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I just had another great-grandson last month. His name is Mason -- well,
    >> you know what the name reminds me of right off -- tee hee. Just can't help
    >> it!
    >> Wonder if this is a NEW name, Mason?

    > Mason Williams of "Classical Gas" fame.
    >
    > Mason what's-his-name from commercials. A child actor with extremely
    > orange hair and a strange, squoosy face. What was his last name?
    >
    > The name's been around, but hasn't been hugely popular, that I'm aware
    > of. There are several characters in the Wizard of Oz named Mason. ;)
    >
    > Carol

    Mason Andrews. Perry Mason. I dunno?
    I LIKE the name Mason. You know exactly how it is pronounced, you can
    more safely assume the holder is male and be correct and it is easy to
    spell. It is a strong respectable, non-trendy name IMO.
    Goomba

  5. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:49:01 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Glitter
    Ninja) wrote:

    > I've never had a waitperson remember to bring me extra lemon for my
    >tea if I asked for it. Never. Maybe when I remind them but they never
    >remember the first time. I must be a mutant to want so much lemon.

    There's a cure for that. I used to order milk with every meal, and
    always requested that it be served *with* the meal. It was very rare
    that that actually happened.

    I started placing my order, and telling the server that I tip better
    when I get my milk with the meal. Boy, does that work!

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  6. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

    > >My mothers name was spelled Nancie. The nuns refused to call her by her
    > >given name because "it wasn't a saints name but rather the name of a
    > >billy goat." They called her Ann for all her years in school (St.
    > >Dominic's, Oyster Bay, L.I.) LOL

    > A childhood friend of mine was almost not permitted to leave the
    > (Catholic) hospital because her parents had named her Laurie. They
    > made up for it later with Peter and Paul. Somehow, they sneaked
    > Michelle out of the hospital.

    I don't know whatever possessed my great grandfather to become a priest, but
    thank goodness he left the priesthood, left that weird church.

  7. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:31:26 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

    >Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> I'm gonna need you to work on my niece, too. E-T-H-E-N. What does it
    >> take? Do we need to get you schnockered?

    >schnockered
    >
    >Isn't that a billiard term? ;)

    Only if you get shit-faced drunk while playing.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  8. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Bad choice. People would automatically formalize it to Susan.

    Because they have been beaten into a pulp by accidentally
    calling a Susan Sue. The Susan militants.

    nancy

  9. Glitter Ninja wrote:

    > Don't even ask about my last name. Every part of my name can be
    > butchered and after 32 years I'm so tired of it. In my next life I'm
    > going to be named Sue Jones, I swear.

    My mom wanted good Irish names. I can understand why, and she at least
    picked names that were spelled correctly somewhere, but it isn't here.

    Shawn, Gale, and Meghan. My name wasn't just misspelled. The teacher
    would make up some big poster with all our names nicely done. Then my
    "h" would be added in at an odd angle. I'd rather leave it wrong than
    have it added in like that. One of my bosses just started calling me
    "Meg" in notes because he could never remember how to spell it.He just
    knew that the normal way was wrong.

    And the last name is worse. Noecker. Pronounced neck-er. It does make
    it easy to screen out telemarketers. But it was mangled by every
    teacher in school. I've worked at my job for 17 years, and I have only
    heard my last name attempted twice over the intercom. During the times
    we have had more than one Meghan, they simply use my department as the
    last name.

    I was quite shocked when I went to a horse show, handed out business
    cards, and people coould say my name correctly on the first try. Turned
    out most of the breeders were Dutch, and my name is German, so it was
    close enough for them to know how to pronounce it. It was a pleasant
    (and rare) experience.

    When it comes to naming kids, I would want to pick something easy for
    most people to get right. Leave the cute and odd names to the pets.
    They don't care if I say it wrong, spell it weird or what it means.

    My nephew's cat is named Chase, because that's his favorite thing to
    do.

    Kira T Sherman is named after a Star Trek character and the Sherman
    tank (she was built like one as a kitten), and her middle name is
    Trouble.

    Maynard was named after he commercial for Malt-o-Meal. "Good Stuff,
    Maynard." He loved people food such as peas, canteloupe, etc even as a
    kitten. We started saying that phrase so often, we changed his name.

    Jay Jay is more of a combination of things. I've had several special
    animals with the letter J in their names. Seus Jay, Jenny Jen, and
    Jasper. I also had a favorite horse that I wanted to buy but could not
    afford. His name is Jitse. I didn't choose any of those names, so it
    just seemed kind of coincidence that the letter J kept coming along.

    So, last year, I went to a cat show as a vendor and there was a raflle
    for a cat tree that my elderly cat would love. It was the kind of
    raffle where you buy a playing card, and hold onto half ot it. I
    decided to buy the 10s because J is the 10th letter of the alphabet. I
    won the cat tree. I also adopted this jumbo cat. He was 12.5 pounds at
    the time, and wasn't even mature yet. He's 16.5 a year later. And he's
    not fat. Part Ragdoll, most likely. So, I decided I wanted a name with
    a J. Blue Jay sounded cute since he is a blue point, but he ain't a
    bird. So, I kept getting back to Jumbo, and settled on Jumbo Jet. JJ
    looked a bit plain, so I spell it Jay Jay instead.

    OB Food: I'm going to attempt my first batch of fried rice tonight or
    tomorrow. I want to make it cheaper than at work, and without the peas
    and carrots. Maynard, my elderly cat, died last May, so I don't have
    anyone to give them to. It used to be a lot more fun picking apart my
    food when I had Maynard to help me eat it.

  10. On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:31:05 -0700, Ranee Mueller
    <[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and
    opined:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> ObOT: Crash's daughter's baby has dropped, so we could be
    >> grandparents at any time now. It's a boy. Name is Zachary. If only
    >> that was the way they plan on spelling it. Z-A-K-E-R-Y. Hope it's
    >> not today. Can't drive 5 hours. Just can't.

    > That reminds me of someone on the pregnancy groups who was spelling
    >her son's name something like Alyxzandir. It sounded exactly the same
    >as the standard spelling, she just wanted to be unique. I said it made
    >her look like an illiterate teenage mother, and that if she wanted a
    >unique name she should actually pick a unique name instead of
    >bastardizing another one. That won me popularity votes. ;)

    My mother was named after two of her aunts: Nina and Nellie, which
    became combined to form "Ninelle," for reasons known only to God now.
    She hated that name all her life, no one could ever spell it, and
    always had a "Eh, what's that?" when heard it pronounced.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
    classed as cannybals."

    Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

  11. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:19:41 -0400, "Nancy Young"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> Bad choice. People would automatically formalize it to Susan.

    >Because they have been beaten into a pulp by accidentally
    >calling a Susan Sue. The Susan militants.

    Another hot potato is Barbara vs. Barb.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  12. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:15:52 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
    <damsel.in.di[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and
    opined:

    >Bad choice. People would automatically formalize it to Susan. Try
    >Mary.
    >
    >Carol

    My middle name is actually "Terryl," but no one ever hears "Terryl,"
    they hear "Carol," Carol. And if they see it written, for some reason
    everyone pronounces it "Tie-rell." Ergo, the "Terry." And don't even
    ask about my first name. It's classified information (unless Dubyuh
    decides to declassify it and leak it to the newsgroup).

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
    classed as cannybals."

    Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

  13. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:25:40 -0400, "Dee Randall"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I just had another great-grandson last month. His name is Mason -- well,
    >>you know what the name reminds me of right off -- tee hee. Just can't
    >>help
    >>it!
    >>Wonder if this is a NEW name, Mason?

    There are several characters in the Wizard of Oz named Mason. ;)

    You are sooo funny!
    Dee Dee

    > Carol

  14. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:15:33 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Glitter
    Ninja) rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    > Even though Kansas isn't the South at all, much of the iced tea around
    >here is sweet tea or comes with sweetener in it. I don't want to drink
    >soda all the time but unless I want some overly sweetened lemonade or
    >sweet iced tea there's no other options except at the higher scale
    >restaurants. Iced tea should not be fussed with!

    My father was born and raised in northern Alabama and my grandmother
    used to make "sweet tea" that was so sweet you could get contact
    diabetes from it. We used to go into restaurants in the south and
    they'd always ask if you wanted iced tea or sweet tea. The idea of
    sweet tea still makes my salivary glands clench.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
    classed as cannybals."

    Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

  15. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:25:40 -0400, "Dee Randall"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just had another great-grandson last month. His name is Mason --
    >>> well, you know what the name reminds me of right off -- tee hee. Just
    >>> can't help it!
    >>> Wonder if this is a NEW name, Mason?

    >> Mason Williams of "Classical Gas" fame.
    >>
    >> Mason what's-his-name from commercials. A child actor with extremely
    >> orange hair and a strange, squoosy face. What was his last name?
    >>
    >> The name's been around, but hasn't been hugely popular, that I'm aware
    >> of. There are several characters in the Wizard of Oz named Mason. ;)
    >>
    >> Carol

    > Mason Andrews. Perry Mason. I dunno?
    > I LIKE the name Mason. You know exactly how it is pronounced, you can more
    > safely assume the holder is male and be correct and it is easy to spell.
    > It is a strong respectable, non-trendy name IMO.
    > Goomba

    Yes, that's how they are, the parents --
    His middle name is the name of his great-grandfather's first name, who came
    to America from Italy.
    Thanks for letting me know about this name.
    Dee Dee

  16. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:59:11 -0400, "Dee Randall"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:25:40 -0400, "Dee Randall"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just had another great-grandson last month. His name is Mason -- well,
    >>>you know what the name reminds me of right off -- tee hee. Just can't
    >>>help it!
    >>>Wonder if this is a NEW name, Mason?

    >> There are several characters in the Wizard of Oz named Mason. ;)

    >You are sooo funny!

    The devil made me do it! ;o)

    Carol
    --

  17. Nancy Young wrote:

    > "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > Bad choice. People would automatically formalize it to Susan.

    > Because they have been beaten into a pulp by accidentally
    > calling a Susan Sue. The Susan militants.

    Man, funny you mentioned that, I know Susans who bridle at being called
    Sue...

    One day one of them comes into our local groggery and I accidentally said
    "Hi Sue!". She proceeded to give me a big lecture about it in front of
    everybody to which I replied, "Fine, howzabout I don't call you *anything*,
    perhaps next time I see you I won't acknowledge you at all..."

    Some call me Greg, some Gregory, I don't care. It's nice that the person
    knows my name and greets me, why get upset...

    --
    Best
    Greg "goes to the tavern to R - E - L - A - X..."

  18. Nancy Young wrote:

    > "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > That reminds me of someone on the pregnancy groups who was spelling
    > > her son's name something like Alyxzandir. It sounded exactly the same
    > > as the standard spelling, she just wanted to be unique. I said it made
    > > her look like an illiterate teenage mother, and that if she wanted a
    > > unique name she should actually pick a unique name instead of
    > > bastardizing another one. That won me popularity votes. ;)

    > Well, she needed a slap. Hope you slapped some sense into her.
    > I have an idea, people want to get cutesy with names, change their
    > own name and quit saddling their children with it. That is lame.

    Plus which these parents should think how their kids' "Kr8tive" name
    spelling is going to look on a resume someday...resumes with goofy names
    often get automatically canned.

    --
    Best
    Greg

  19. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Gregory Morrow"
    <[email protected]> wrote

    > Nancy Young wrote:

    >> Because they have been beaten into a pulp by accidentally
    >> calling a Susan Sue. The Susan militants.

    > Man, funny you mentioned that, I know Susans who bridle at being called
    > Sue...
    >
    > One day one of them comes into our local groggery and I accidentally said
    > "Hi Sue!". She proceeded to give me a big lecture about it in front of
    > everybody to which I replied, "Fine, howzabout I don't call you
    > *anything*,
    > perhaps next time I see you I won't acknowledge you at all..."
    >
    > Some call me Greg, some Gregory, I don't care. It's nice that the person
    > knows my name and greets me, why get upset...

    I know ... I don't know what the problem is, and now I've made note
    not to accidentally call my sil Barb. Me, I don't care. Whatever.
    I have my own hot buttons, for sure.

    nancy

  20. "Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> writes:
    >Nancy Young wrote:

    >> Because they have been beaten into a pulp by accidentally
    >> calling a Susan Sue. The Susan militants.

    >Man, funny you mentioned that, I know Susans who bridle at being called
    >Sue...

    I don't holler at people for it, but I detest being called "Stace". I
    will say once to please not call me "Stace" but won't harp on it if
    people insist, since I know they might get their feelings hurt.
    Personally, I try really hard to get others' names right, and I *hate*
    it when I get a name a little wrong and get chewed out for it. Polite
    correction is one thing but some people just lose their minds, like this
    Susan lady you mentioned.

    Stacia