Another scary one...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kate Dicey, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Kate Dicey

    Kate Dicey Guest

    You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big for,
    thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it went! My
    thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again, and if
    perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!

    This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
    with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
    ARGH! What do do?

    Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
    that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
    would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and said:
    Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie! So there
    is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...

    No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the end
    - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!
    --

    Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
     
    Tags:


  2. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    I got rid of my stuff too. What a buzz

    "Kate Dicey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    online.co.uk...
    > You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big
    > for, thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it
    > went! My thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again,
    > and if perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!
    >
    > This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
    > with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
    > ARGH! What do do?
    >
    > Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
    > that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
    > would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and
    > said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie!
    > So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
    >
    > No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the
    > end - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!
    > --

    > Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
    > Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
     
  3. Connie

    Connie Guest

    Way to get rid of that big stuff!! You'll never need it again!!

    Connie

    --

    Cheers,

    Connie Walsh

    241.5/205/155 RAFL 210.5/205/198.5

    Kate Dicey wrote:
    > You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big
    > for, thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it
    > went! My thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again,
    > and if perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!
    >
    > This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
    > with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
    > ARGH! What do do?
    >
    > Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
    > that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
    > would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and
    > said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie!
    > So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
    >
    > No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the
    > end - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!
     
  4. Gosh it feels so nice to be able to toss out the "too big" clothes - such a wonderful feeling! It
    also reinforces your determination to succeed. Congratultions on a great NSV, Kate. Elaine K

    Kate Dicey wrote:

    >You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big
    >for, thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it
    >went! My thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again,
    >and if perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!
    >
    >This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
    >with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
    >ARGH! What do do?
    >
    >Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
    >that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
    >would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and said:
    >Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie! So
    >there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
    >
    >No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the
    >end - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!
     
  5. Laura

    Laura Guest

    I got rid of all of the mediums and Larges on the way up to 2x. I did save some of the X-large and
    the 1X's that I was still able to wear last year. I have since started able to fit into some of the
    X-Large but have discover that many of them were so worn out that I am having to throw them out now.
    A few are still new, some have tags on them still. I think I bought them thinking that I still could
    fit into X-Large at the time. (NOT!)

    My guess is that by spring I will have to buy all new clothes for the summer because the ones I have
    are all 2x and swim on me. I'm not ready for X-Large pants and shorts yet but hopefully I will be by
    the time warm weather arrives.

    "Kate Dicey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    online.co.uk...
    > You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big
    > for, thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it
    > went! My thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again,
    > and if perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!
    >
    > This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
    > with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
    > ARGH! What do do?
    >
    > Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
    > that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
    > would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and
    > said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie!
    > So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
    >
    > No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the
    > end - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!
    > --

    > Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
    > Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
     
  6. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Just today I dragged a sports coat to the tailor for alterations. It was swimming and I like the
    jacket and figured it was cheaper than trying to buy new besides, I did not see anything recently
    that I liked.

    I tried it on and the tailor said: "HOW MUCH DID YOU LOSE?" (he used the caplocks key! (G))

    It will be ready in about two weeks. Hopefully, he can actually do this successfully.

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 12:37:44 +0000, Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big
    >for, thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it
    >went! My thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again,
    >and if perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!
    >
    >This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
    >with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
    >ARGH! What do do?
    >
    >Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
    >that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
    >would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and said:
    >Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie! So
    >there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
    >
    >No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the
    >end - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!
     
  7. Isabela

    Isabela Guest

    Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    ----> Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several
    > sets of Weekender's clothes that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as
    > well as XLg!). I probably would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a
    > long hard look at it and said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you
    > look like Orphan Annie! So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
    >
    Just an idea here....all those 'clear out clothes' can be donated to a local women's shelter or if
    in your town they may have an organization for women to help them get jobs or on their feel. They
    would so love the donation!

    By the way....congrats on loosing the weight and getting rid of your too big stuff!

    isabela
     
  8. I love cleaning out the closet, I just told DH I will never have as many
    clothes as I used too. I love going in there and knowing it all fits. Good
    for you!!! Lee
    Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big
    > for, thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it
    > went! My thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again,
    > and if perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!
    >
    > This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
    > with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
    > ARGH! What do do?
    >
    > Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
    > that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
    > would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and
    > said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie!
    > So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
    >
    > No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the
    > end - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!
    > --

    > Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
    > Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
     
  9. Julieb

    Julieb Guest

    I've done this too with clothes that I really liked. My most recent
    tailoring was for a semi-formal dress bought "on the way up" that I had worn
    once. At $300 for the dress, I figured it was worth spending $65 getting it
    taken in almost two sizes so I could wear it again :)

    --
    Julie.
    93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg
    93.5/73./162.8 (WW)/158 (Personal) lb

    Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
    http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

    "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > Just today I dragged a sports coat to the tailor for alterations. It was swimming and I like the
    > jacket and figured it was cheaper than trying to buy new besides, I did not see anything recently
    > that I liked.
    >
    > I tried it on and the tailor said: "HOW MUCH DID YOU LOSE?" (he used the caplocks key! (G))
    >
    > It will be ready in about two weeks. Hopefully, he can actually do this successfully.
    >
    > On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 12:37:44 +0000, Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big
    > >for, thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it
    > >went! My thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again,
    > >and if perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!
    > >
    > >This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
    > >with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
    > >ARGH! What do do?
    > >
    > >Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
    > >that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
    > >would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and
    > >said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie!
    > >So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
    > >
    > >No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the
    > >end - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!
     
  10. Kate Dicey

    Kate Dicey Guest

    Laura wrote:
    >
    > I got rid of all of the mediums and Larges on the way up to 2x. I did save some of the X-large and
    > the 1X's that I was still able to wear last year. I have since started able to fit into some of
    > the X-Large but have discover that many of them were so worn out that I am having to throw them
    > out now. A few are still new, some have tags on them still. I think I bought them thinking that I
    > still could fit into X-Large at the time. (NOT!)
    >
    > My guess is that by spring I will have to buy all new clothes for the summer because the ones I
    > have are all 2x and swim on me. I'm not ready for X-Large pants and shorts yet but hopefully I
    > will be by the time warm weather arrives.

    I have the other half of the wardrobe to sort out, and in there is my very jazzy Christmas jacket
    and the silk dress I made to go under it a couple of years ago, both waaaay too big now. I HATE
    alterations, and anyway, the jacket was carefully cut to make the best of the two head pieces of a
    double ended wedding sari. They are on my web site, in the Posh Frocks section. The jacket is a UK
    pattern size XL, but a generous fit. The dress is a Kwik Sew pattern size XL. I'm thinking of taking
    them to my next WW meeting and seeing if anyone wants them!

    I have a whole suit (jacket in red & grey mini plaid check, matching knee length skirt, and a
    long grey skirt and grey wide trousers) that I also love, but taking them in is a bigger task
    than I want! I could go on - I'm a dressmaker, I have quite a lot of clothes I made as well as
    all those I bought.

    Hm... Anyone want an Elizabethan corset, made for a 44 bust and 37 waist? Free to good home... Never
    worn, except for the photos on the web site! You'll need to find it a busk!
    --

    Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
     
  11. Kate Dicey

    Kate Dicey Guest

    Fred wrote:
    >
    > Just today I dragged a sports coat to the tailor for alterations. It was swimming and I like the
    > jacket and figured it was cheaper than trying to buy new besides, I did not see anything recently
    > that I liked.
    >
    > I tried it on and the tailor said: "HOW MUCH DID YOU LOSE?" (he used the caplocks key! (G))
    >
    > It will be ready in about two weeks. Hopefully, he can actually do this successfully.

    Given the amount of work involved, I'd find it easier, quicker, and cheaper to make you a new one in
    the same type of fabric!
    --

    Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
    http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
     
  12. Kate Dicey

    Kate Dicey Guest

    isabela wrote:
    >
    > Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > online.co.uk>...
    >
    > ----> Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several
    > > sets of Weekender's clothes that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice
    > > (as well as XLg!). I probably would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took
    > > a long hard look at it and said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before
    > > you look like Orphan Annie! So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
    > >
    > Just an idea here....all those 'clear out clothes' can be donated to a local women's shelter or if
    > in your town they may have an organization for women to help them get jobs or on their feel. They
    > would so love the donation!
    >
    > By the way....congrats on loosing the weight and getting rid of your too big stuff!
    >
    > isabela

    I have a friend who is till bigger than me but on the downward path, and anything she doesn't want
    will go to the charity shops. Most of it is either casual, or old enough to look scruffy, but I'll
    probably try to find such a place for the more businessy stuff.

    Now, what to do with the Posh stuff? Silk suit made out of hand woven silk tweed with a gold lurex
    thread in it, and matching blouse (in purple!): short skirt, loose jacket. I have another more work
    oriented one in grey and scarlet with checks, plus my ex Christmas sari jacket. Dunno if I can sell
    it privately, and round here the dress agencies take nothing more than two years old, with labels
    in, and 50% of the asking price!
    --

    Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
     
  13. Fred

    Fred Guest

    We will see if he's as good as his reputation. It can't look as bad as the last few months I wore it
    as a TENT! (G)

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:57:59 +0000, Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Fred wrote:
    >>
    >> Just today I dragged a sports coat to the tailor for alterations. It was swimming and I like the
    >> jacket and figured it was cheaper than trying to buy new besides, I did not see anything recently
    >> that I liked.
    >>
    >> I tried it on and the tailor said: "HOW MUCH DID YOU LOSE?" (he used the caplocks key! (G))
    >>
    >> It will be ready in about two weeks. Hopefully, he can actually do this successfully.
    >
    >Given the amount of work involved, I'd find it easier, quicker, and cheaper to make you a new one
    >in the same type of fabric!
     
  14. I gave so many clothes to the home for the blind I was giving them to the
    coordinator told me to take them elsewhere as they had clothed all the women
    who were the sizes I was bringing in. I found a food pantry that also gives
    away clothes to those who needs them at no charge. I considered selling
    some of the really nice things on Ebay but my mother has a friend who runs a
    resale shop in an area that will do fine I think. Lee
    Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > isabela wrote:
    > >
    > > Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > ----> Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft,
    several
    > > > sets of Weekender's clothes that I bought over the years and wore a
    lot
    > > > because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably would continue
    to
    > > > wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at
    it
    > > > and said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan
    > > > Annie! So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
    > > >
    > > Just an idea here....all those 'clear out clothes' can be donated to a
    local
    > > women's shelter or if in your town they may have an organization for
    women
    > > to help them get jobs or on their feel. They would so love the
    donation!
    > >
    > > By the way....congrats on loosing the weight and getting rid of your too
    big
    > > stuff!
    > >
    > > isabela
    >
    > I have a friend who is till bigger than me but on the downward path, and anything she doesn't want
    > will go to the charity shops. Most of it is either casual, or old enough to look scruffy, but I'll
    > probably try to find such a place for the more businessy stuff.
    >
    > Now, what to do with the Posh stuff? Silk suit made out of hand woven silk tweed with a gold lurex
    > thread in it, and matching blouse (in purple!): short skirt, loose jacket. I have another more
    > work oriented one in grey and scarlet with checks, plus my ex Christmas sari jacket. Dunno if I
    > can sell it privately, and round here the dress agencies take nothing more than two years old,
    > with labels in, and 50% of the asking price!
    > --

    > Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
    > Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
     
  15. Kate Dicey

    Kate Dicey Guest

    Fred wrote:
    >
    > We will see if he's as good as his reputation. It can't look as bad as the last few months I wore
    > it as a TENT! (G)

    Good luck! I have a weight losing customer who needs a new wardrobe. She did ask if it was possible
    to take in her old stuff, but when I pointed out the hours involved in carefully unpicking jetted
    pockets to take in princess line seams to take an inch off the bust curve, re-setting collars and
    those pockets, and possibly having to contend with worn patches of fabric (you wear clothes out
    quicker when you are larger, and they rub in different places - especially if those clothes were
    worn a bit to tight!), she opted for new! Good move! New I do, alterations I don't touch, as there's
    no joy in them for me and no-one ever wants to pay what they are worth!
    --

    Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
     
  16. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I may be sorry but I am particular when it comes to finally finding a sports jacket color/pattern
    that I like that I decided to give it a shot. The next Nordstrom's sale is in June and I will see if
    I find anything then.

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:35:06 +0000, Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Fred wrote:
    >>
    >> We will see if he's as good as his reputation. It can't look as bad as the last few months I wore
    >> it as a TENT! (G)
    >
    >Good luck! I have a weight losing customer who needs a new wardrobe. She did ask if it was possible
    >to take in her old stuff, but when I pointed out the hours involved in carefully unpicking jetted
    >pockets to take in princess line seams to take an inch off the bust curve, re-setting collars and
    >those pockets, and possibly having to contend with worn patches of fabric (you wear clothes out
    >quicker when you are larger, and they rub in different places - especially if those clothes were
    >worn a bit to tight!), she opted for new! Good move! New I do, alterations I don't touch, as
    >there's no joy in them for me and no-one ever wants to pay what they are worth!
     
  17. Kate Dicey

    Kate Dicey Guest

    Fred wrote:
    >
    > I may be sorry but I am particular when it comes to finally finding a sports jacket color/pattern
    > that I like that I decided to give it a shot. The next Nordstrom's sale is in June and I will see
    > if I find anything then.

    I've had this conversation with potential customers so often:

    Me: I'll cost as much to alter as a whole new jacket, possibly more.

    PC: But it's only an alteration!

    Mf: There's no 'only' about it: it takes longer to unpick all these seams and pockets and fiddle
    with the fit than it does to measure you and cut out a new jacket in the right size. That time
    has to be paid for. And once I've unpicked it, I might discover that it's impossible to get as
    small as you now need it, or bits may be too worn to sew in the new right places. You still have
    to pay for my time, and there might be no jacket at the end of it!

    PC: How much would it cost to alter it? I really like this jacket!

    Mg: £150 plus any materials for new pockets etc.

    PC: But that's more than I paid for it!

    Mh: See what I mean?

    It really is only worth it if the jacket was a particularly good quality one to start with, and the
    alterations will mean you get several more years wear out of it, you haven't lost so much weight
    that the jacket distorts too much in the process, or it was such a steal that even with the
    alteration costs added to the price you paid, it is still a bargain. You need to be particularly
    careful with plaids as they are usually planned and laid out in a particular way to complement the
    check pattern and ensure that it all falls in the right place and matches well at the front, and
    shoulder seams, across the front and sleeve, and at the collar fall area. Hacking and inch ot two
    out of each seam can really distort this!

    --

    Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
     
Loading...