Another scary one...

Kate Dicey

Guest
You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big for,
thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it went! My
thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again, and if
perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!

This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
ARGH! What do do?

Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and said:
Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie! So there
is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...

No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the end
- I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

I got rid of my stuff too. What a buzz

"Kate Dicey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
online.co.uk...
> You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big
> for, thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it
> went! My thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again,
> and if perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!
>
> This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
> with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
> ARGH! What do do?
>
> Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
> that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
> would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and
> said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie!
> So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
>
> No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the
> end - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!
> --

> Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
> Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Way to get rid of that big stuff!! You'll never need it again!!

Connie

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/205/155 RAFL 210.5/205/198.5

Kate Dicey wrote:
> You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big
> for, thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it
> went! My thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again,
> and if perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!
>
> This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
> with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
> ARGH! What do do?
>
> Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
> that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
> would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and
> said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie!
> So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
>
> No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the
> end - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!

Gosh it feels so nice to be able to toss out the "too big" clothes - such a wonderful feeling! It
also reinforces your determination to succeed. Congratultions on a great NSV, Kate. Elaine K

Kate Dicey wrote:

>You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big
>for, thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it
>went! My thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again,
>and if perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!
>
>This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
>with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
>ARGH! What do do?
>
>Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
>that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
>would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and said:
>Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie! So
>there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
>
>No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the
>end - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!

I got rid of all of the mediums and Larges on the way up to 2x. I did save some of the X-large and
the 1X's that I was still able to wear last year. I have since started able to fit into some of the
X-Large but have discover that many of them were so worn out that I am having to throw them out now.
A few are still new, some have tags on them still. I think I bought them thinking that I still could
fit into X-Large at the time. (NOT!)

My guess is that by spring I will have to buy all new clothes for the summer because the ones I have
are all 2x and swim on me. I'm not ready for X-Large pants and shorts yet but hopefully I will be by
the time warm weather arrives.

"Kate Dicey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
online.co.uk...
> You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big
> for, thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it
> went! My thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again,
> and if perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!
>
> This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
> with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
> ARGH! What do do?
>
> Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
> that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
> would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and
> said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie!
> So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
>
> No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the
> end - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!
> --

> Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
> Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Just today I dragged a sports coat to the tailor for alterations. It was swimming and I like the
jacket and figured it was cheaper than trying to buy new besides, I did not see anything recently
that I liked.

I tried it on and the tailor said: "HOW MUCH DID YOU LOSE?" (he used the caplocks key! (G))

It will be ready in about two weeks. Hopefully, he can actually do this successfully.

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 12:37:44 +0000, Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote:

>You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big
>for, thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it
>went! My thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again,
>and if perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!
>
>This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
>with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
>ARGH! What do do?
>
>Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
>that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
>would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and said:
>Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie! So
>there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
>
>No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the
>end - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!

Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

----> Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several
> sets of Weekender's clothes that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as
> well as XLg!). I probably would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a
> long hard look at it and said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you
> look like Orphan Annie! So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...

Just an idea here....all those 'clear out clothes' can be donated to a local women's shelter or if
in your town they may have an organization for women to help them get jobs or on their feel. They
would so love the donation!

By the way....congrats on loosing the weight and getting rid of your too big stuff!

isabela

I love cleaning out the closet, I just told DH I will never have as many
clothes as I used too. I love going in there and knowing it all fits. Good
for you!!! Lee
Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You know when you are on the way UP the weight, you save all those nice clothes you get too big
> for, thinking that one day you'll fit back in them? I never did! If I got too big for it, out it
> went! My thinking was 'realistic' - I'm not a diety sort of person, no way will I fit that again,
> and if perchance I do, it'll be so out of date I won't want to wear it!
>
> This morning I went to put a few things away, and there was no room! DH has finally caught up
> with the ironing, so everything needs to fit in the drawers and wardrobe - only it wouldn't!
> ARGH! What do do?
>
> Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several sets of Weekender's clothes
> that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice (as well as XLg!). I probably
> would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took a long hard look at it and
> said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before you look like Orphan Annie!
> So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
>
> No, I won't be going nekkid! There are still 19 T shirts in the drawer... ;) And this is not the
> end - I just couldn't face the other half of the wardrobe!
> --

> Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
> Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

I've done this too with clothes that I really liked. My most recent
tailoring was for a semi-formal dress bought "on the way up" that I had worn
once. At $300 for the dress, I figured it was worth spending $65 getting it
taken in almost two sizes so I could wear it again :)

--
Julie.
93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

news:eek:[email protected]...

Laura wrote:

> I got rid of all of the mediums and Larges on the way up to 2x. I did save some of the X-large and
> the 1X's that I was still able to wear last year. I have since started able to fit into some of
> the X-Large but have discover that many of them were so worn out that I am having to throw them
> out now. A few are still new, some have tags on them still. I think I bought them thinking that I
> still could fit into X-Large at the time. (NOT!)
>
> My guess is that by spring I will have to buy all new clothes for the summer because the ones I
> have are all 2x and swim on me. I'm not ready for X-Large pants and shorts yet but hopefully I
> will be by the time warm weather arrives.

I have the other half of the wardrobe to sort out, and in there is my very jazzy Christmas jacket
and the silk dress I made to go under it a couple of years ago, both waaaay too big now. I HATE
alterations, and anyway, the jacket was carefully cut to make the best of the two head pieces of a
double ended wedding sari. They are on my web site, in the Posh Frocks section. The jacket is a UK
pattern size XL, but a generous fit. The dress is a Kwik Sew pattern size XL. I'm thinking of taking
them to my next WW meeting and seeing if anyone wants them!

I have a whole suit (jacket in red & grey mini plaid check, matching knee length skirt, and a
long grey skirt and grey wide trousers) that I also love, but taking them in is a bigger task
than I want! I could go on - I'm a dressmaker, I have quite a lot of clothes I made as well as
all those I bought.

Hm... Anyone want an Elizabethan corset, made for a 44 bust and 37 waist? Free to good home... Never
worn, except for the photos on the web site! You'll need to find it a busk!

Fred wrote:

> Just today I dragged a sports coat to the tailor for alterations. It was swimming and I like the
> jacket and figured it was cheaper than trying to buy new besides, I did not see anything recently
> that I liked.
>
> I tried it on and the tailor said: "HOW MUCH DID YOU LOSE?" (he used the caplocks key! (G))
>
> It will be ready in about two weeks. Hopefully, he can actually do this successfully.

Given the amount of work involved, I'd find it easier, quicker, and cheaper to make you a new one in
the same type of fabric!

isabela wrote:

> Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> online.co.uk>...
>
> ----> Have a clear out! 10 T shirts that are so big they look daft, several
> > sets of Weekender's clothes that I bought over the years and wore a lot because they were nice
> > (as well as XLg!). I probably would continue to wear some of this stuff if i kept it, but I took
> > a long hard look at it and said: Kate, as you never intend to get that big again, dump it before
> > you look like Orphan Annie! So there is this large pile of Too Big Stuff on the bed...
> >
> Just an idea here....all those 'clear out clothes' can be donated to a local women's shelter or if
> in your town they may have an organization for women to help them get jobs or on their feel. They
> would so love the donation!
>
> By the way....congrats on loosing the weight and getting rid of your too big stuff!
>
> isabela

I have a friend who is till bigger than me but on the downward path, and anything she doesn't want
will go to the charity shops. Most of it is either casual, or old enough to look scruffy, but I'll
probably try to find such a place for the more businessy stuff.

Now, what to do with the Posh stuff? Silk suit made out of hand woven silk tweed with a gold lurex
thread in it, and matching blouse (in purple!): short skirt, loose jacket. I have another more work
oriented one in grey and scarlet with checks, plus my ex Christmas sari jacket. Dunno if I can sell
it privately, and round here the dress agencies take nothing more than two years old, with labels
in, and 50% of the asking price!

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

We will see if he's as good as his reputation. It can't look as bad as the last few months I wore it
as a TENT! (G)

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:57:59 +0000, Kate Dicey <[email protected]> wrote:

>Fred wrote:
>>
>> Just today I dragged a sports coat to the tailor for alterations. It was swimming and I like the
>> jacket and figured it was cheaper than trying to buy new besides, I did not see anything recently
>> that I liked.
>>
>> I tried it on and the tailor said: "HOW MUCH DID YOU LOSE?" (he used the caplocks key! (G))
>>
>> It will be ready in about two weeks. Hopefully, he can actually do this successfully.
>
>Given the amount of work involved, I'd find it easier, quicker, and cheaper to make you a new one
>in the same type of fabric!

I gave so many clothes to the home for the blind I was giving them to the
coordinator told me to take them elsewhere as they had clothed all the women
who were the sizes I was bringing in. I found a food pantry that also gives
away clothes to those who needs them at no charge. I considered selling
some of the really nice things on Ebay but my mother has a friend who runs a
resale shop in an area that will do fine I think. Lee

Fred wrote:

> We will see if he's as good as his reputation. It can't look as bad as the last few months I wore
> it as a TENT! (G)

Good luck! I have a weight losing customer who needs a new wardrobe. She did ask if it was possible
to take in her old stuff, but when I pointed out the hours involved in carefully unpicking jetted
pockets to take in princess line seams to take an inch off the bust curve, re-setting collars and
those pockets, and possibly having to contend with worn patches of fabric (you wear clothes out
quicker when you are larger, and they rub in different places - especially if those clothes were
worn a bit to tight!), she opted for new! Good move! New I do, alterations I don't touch, as there's
no joy in them for me and no-one ever wants to pay what they are worth!

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

I may be sorry but I am particular when it comes to finally finding a sports jacket color/pattern
that I like that I decided to give it a shot. The next Nordstrom's sale is in June and I will see if
I find anything then.

Fred wrote:

> I may be sorry but I am particular when it comes to finally finding a sports jacket color/pattern
> that I like that I decided to give it a shot. The next Nordstrom's sale is in June and I will see
> if I find anything then.

I've had this conversation with potential customers so often:

Me: I'll cost as much to alter as a whole new jacket, possibly more.

PC: But it's only an alteration!

Mf: There's no 'only' about it: it takes longer to unpick all these seams and pockets and fiddle
with the fit than it does to measure you and cut out a new jacket in the right size. That time
has to be paid for. And once I've unpicked it, I might discover that it's impossible to get as
small as you now need it, or bits may be too worn to sew in the new right places. You still have
to pay for my time, and there might be no jacket at the end of it!

PC: How much would it cost to alter it? I really like this jacket!

Mg: £150 plus any materials for new pockets etc.

PC: But that's more than I paid for it!

Mh: See what I mean?

It really is only worth it if the jacket was a particularly good quality one to start with, and the
alterations will mean you get several more years wear out of it, you haven't lost so much weight
that the jacket distorts too much in the process, or it was such a steal that even with the
alteration costs added to the price you paid, it is still a bargain. You need to be particularly
careful with plaids as they are usually planned and laid out in a particular way to complement the
check pattern and ensure that it all falls in the right place and matches well at the front, and
shoulder seams, across the front and sleeve, and at the collar fall area. Hacking and inch ot two
out of each seam can really distort this!

Click on Kate's Pages and explore!